Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• We don't have Easter eggs due to junior and my intolerancesimage We did, however, buy dairy free chocolate spread yesterday which I think they have scoffed most off already.

Another gorgeous sunny frosty morning here....6.75 miles ran at snails pace as there was just nothing in the tank.

A morning planned of Spring cleaning my bedroom and the Kichen cupboards(I may find some chocolate yet) then baking a dark chocolate and beetroot cake.............I maybe gone some time!!!

• Kaz, you racked the miles in the last couple of months girl. I'm goingout for snail action in a min. Also feel like nothin left in the JB tank.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Love that TJB's mate has finally decloaked and it's pretty much TJB nagging potter about booking a hotel.  TOOO FUNNY!  although...TJB does have a valid point though, potter.  There's an addtional 35,000 ish people in Paris next weekend.  Have you got your med cert? convocation? EHIC card? the kitchen sink?

Time for this link I think: http://m.runnersworld.com/race-training/taper-traps read it, bookmark it, refer to it when head goes wobbly.

• RS - great link.

TJB, Kaz - time for you guys to be refilling not depleting the tank further?
  • Got the App at last. Now remember folks TAPERING :

'The main goal is to allow your organism to deeply recuperate'.

So look after your organisms.
  • The advice is also to avoid the temptation to spend hours on the bike. And avoid dangerous sports, like skiing. Oh dear. On both counts...

Beautiful day here again so I'm off for a cycle. And skiing tomorrow.
  • TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    DV - sorry Orbutt is right, my bib number is 37685. I forgot they changed it after I signed up.

Panic truly setting in, Mrs O has come down with a stinking cold and my throat is now feeling a little sore. I've not been ill for ages and would be gutted not to feel well in a weeks time, any suggestions?
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Trev - Divorce. It's the only way.

Well my bout of insomnia marches inexorably on... Not really helping the state of my head I have to say...
  • Lemsip and rest Trev. There is plenty of time to get it out if your system before next Sunday
  • TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Ha YM, I'm committed to Paris but probably not that much!

Mac - it's a rest day today so might include a lemsip at some point.
  • Simon - excellent. Weather here in London, cold, crisp and bright. Capital in its finest. Where are you?

Everyone - I saw a movie called Good Vibrations at the movies on Friday night. Can I just recommend it to the highest? (I know its a running thread but...) It's about the evolution of punk in Belfast during the late 70's. It's actually just funny, and serious in the right proportion and has brilliant music throughout. The best Belfast/NI movie I have seen.

And now I'll stop pretending to be Barry Norman! A good day to you all.
  • Trev - squirt some Vick's First Defence up your nose to wash out the germs. I have a theory that when you're training hard, especially in the cold, all the snot that gets produced washes out cold germs. In the taper, less mileage=less snot=more germs. Sorry if anyone's eating breakfast image .

Simon - I'm recuperating my organism today. Rest day on a Sunday - feels weird. I'm starting to make lists.

DV - no. But have one anyway. I'm demolishing chocolate bunnies. It's good for my organism.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Mmmmmm snot....

Mr Maj had a comfortable night in the Anderson shelter...Along with his organism.
  • HEHEHEHE you lot!!!!

Iain - your right I should be....just have refuelled with the remaining choc spread......I am not going to be a popular mother!!!!

TJB - Glad its not just me!! I keep trying to tell myself that in the last 7 weeks I have done wonders........but then the chimp keeps saying FFS you lazy b***Ch what are you complaining about - You've not even completed half a training plan...........

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

It's Simon's Shed https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5805084366828840641/5859386060192758818?banner=pwa   for Mrs. TrevO....

Welcome to the thread, pottermoss. image

I am Lindtsick and it's only 9.40

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

hee hee hee, lindtsick.  nice one!

Kaz - smack that chimp up!!!  you are NOT a lazy person, I think everyone on the thread will VERY MUCH agree!!!

• Trev - agree with RR; get Vick's First Defence up your nose immediately. Worth hunting-down a Sunday pharmacy. This works if you get in there fast. But my recommendation (for all immune-threatened distance runners) is Wellness Formula. It's vitamin C plus the kithchen sink (echinacea, garlic, zinc and lots else) and it absolutely works. 3 a day when everyone near you has a cold (then I take double that at first symptoms). It will at very least minimise duration/severity. It's expensive and may be hard to find (it's on line, but classy healthfood/supplement outlets sometimes have it). All who try it swear by it. Let's hope you're only experiencing taper-paranoia. Like all of us! 

• Nothing like a burn in the sun to bing on the endorphin rush. Hopefully that's what my body needed after long runs on Sunday and Friday. 5 miles, 3x8min 2x6.45.

Still heaving (and chuckling) at the thought of RR's snot wash theory.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Who planned Easter the week before the marathon? Went on an egg hunt and now my body is craving choclote as if my sugar levels have dropped to 0.

The onions and garlic cold remedy works, no-one at work came near me and my missus refuses to kiss me.
  • 8 degrees max, 2 minimum, 4% chance of rain, 10km/h wind. Fab weather.
  • RS - thanks so much for posting that link. The point about phantom pains in places where you haven't had any before makes perfect sense. I've had something odd going on in my calf, but it started on a rest day so I couldn't see how it could be an injury. The idea that you can get aches and cramps from the body healing itself makes me feel so much better. Of course my leg may still drop off at mile 20.

Really recommend reading this for anyone who hasn't already http://m.runnersworld.com/race-training/taper-traps
  • Iain, I am in Elgin on the North East coast. Just cycled along the coast from Lossiemouth to Hopeman. Beautiful day to be alive! Now to eliminate some snot and tuck into croissants with Nutella. Mmmmmm
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Glad you enjoyed it RR.  That article has kept me sane many a times during taper!

here it is in a single page: http://m.runnersworld.com/race-training/taper-traps?page=single because at this point and having to scroll through pages really annoys me. image

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

Love that TJB's mate has finally decloaked and it's pretty much TJB nagging potter about booking a hotel.  TOOO FUNNY!  although...TJB does have a valid point though, potter.  There's an addtional 35,000 ish people in Paris next weekend.  Have you got your med cert? convocation? EHIC card? the kitchen sink?

I need nagging to be honest Sal, which is proabably why little birds talk I. I shall sort everything Tuesday. I do have 1 thing off your checklist, my med certificate, but that doesnt say I'm ok for competitive running is says that soemthing I have is not a contraindication to running. imageI'm sure they never mentioned competitive in the first emails. Just applied for an EHIC. Print and pack kitchen sink next week.  Thanks for your concernimage

Claf/ calf still dominating my world.

Would be a beatiful day for a run though.

edit - quote function has me beat for now

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

* Cassandra posting * The wording on the Certificate matters. They've gone OTT with the formatting, here, http://www.parismarathon.com/marathon/2013/fr/r2_certificatMedical.html  The Expo will be busy and they might overlook/ignore those that are not in the required form but that would be down to luck. The woman who examined mine for the Half took her time and had a good look.

This has nothing to do with the organisers' Rules.It's as a result of legislation.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Potter - did you get the form for the med cert from the marathon website?  Does it have a stamp on it?  yeah, I'm winding you upimage BUT...with a hint of reality.

My upstairs neighbours have chosen this easter weekend to redo their bathroom.  It's been drilling etc since Friday morning.  Trust them to pick the only weekend where I can't go galavanting!!! imageimageimage

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

"contraindications" hee hee hee.  Love the very french paris marathon crew.

• Hmmm... thanks Cassandra - I've added flapping about med certificate to Tuesdays list. Can you still buy tippex? 

• yes Sal it is the one downloaded from the site and it is stamped but she understandably needed to mention a condition I have so she put that it is no contraindication for running - not that it is no contraindication to 'competitive' running. Will they really be that fussy?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

potter - that may have been done in previous years where you could send in a scanned copy of it by email...and may possibly be why we have to present the actual certs this year...not that anyone on this thread has ever done the self-correction method before...image