Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Downloaded from the site and stamped all sounds good.  Be ready to explain the note doc's put on there though.

• Options

3 degs, felt like -1 (according to the Garmin) 15k done and dusted. that's me done now, just tottering about Mon, Wed and Thurs then on the train to PARIS....

Did a bad thing with my left foot last night - No side of brain was screaming NO NO NO, but hand and hard skin knife said YES get it off - OUCH.  Very old part of hard skin on ball of foot is no longer, but now have large crater.  Huge amount of vasaline helped though.  So fingers crossed it is ok next Sunday.

Hoping to be closing in on the finish line at this time......but that could be wishful hoping and thinking.

Happy Easter one and all - I have NO EGGS......image

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips all. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid.

I've not stopped eating all week and now I'm up the in laws where there is loads of chocolate!
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    TrevO wrote (see)
    DV - sorry Orbutt is right, my bib number is 37685. I forgot they changed it after I signed up.

Panic truly setting in, Mrs O has come down with a stinking cold and my throat is now feeling a little sore. I've not been ill for ages and would be gutted not to feel well in a weeks time, any suggestions?

Does Orbutt know what's been going on?  Around these parts, his wife is Mrs O.image

I don't celebrate Easter, but I do celebrate Easter eggs. Off to find my favourite today after work. That's one treat I'm not willing to Passover.

• Options
    PC91 wrote (see)
    Weedy - I h8 you

Hehe. Orbutt's come to your rescue with the kids film. Stripey shirt guy's Timothy Leary.

Hi Pottermoss.

Can add gargling with Listerine to the list of things to do to avoid germs. I figure that seeing as it's anti-bacterial, it might help kill some of them off. Don't inject it up your nose tho.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    TrevO wrote (see)
    Panic truly setting in, Mrs O has come down with a stinking cold and my throat is now feeling a little sore.

Does Orbutt know what's been going on?  Around these parts, his wife is Mrs O.image

That confused me too.   How about Mrs T for you Trev?  That's make you Mr Timage

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Think Jus T has already got a Mr T! There's too many of us and it's all getting too confusing!
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

opps, yeah, you're right.  That would mean that if you refer to Mrs T that's technically Jus T...so still a bit of polygamy going on...but hey, we're all about sharing the love here in the Paris forum.  It is the city of romance or whatever...well, sweaty, panting, painful, foot blistering, 3hr plus romance (and some of us are even going for 5 hrs plus!). image

How about you call your Mrs by an affectionate nickname?

• Options
    The bread knife
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I've just had a word with Mrs O and she would have me believe that she's never even met Trev. Hmmm I think she's telling the truth as she doesn't have a cold.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Timely distraction, here

https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5805084366828840641/5858201766503878722?banner=pwa

No idea why Rick gets to be the face of this video. It takes a while to load.

* We know it's because I love you the best, R.image *

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    If she doesn't have a cold then I don't know what I'm worried aboutimage

From now on I will refer to her as Mrs Trev.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

oops..Wrong video..

• Options

Woah woah woah, lucky someone cleared that one up, I was starting to worry about cross-border spouses and the like.

*Supposed* to be up early to knock out the last 13.5kms tomorrow, given it's 1.20am and I'm still faffing about planning last minute things for our trip on the ol' lappy I dare say it won't be early anymore! And by early I sure don't mean KOC, I mean like 8am. image

3 days til we fly out, 6 days til our little jog around, and 7 days until the real holiday begins! WOO HOO!

• Options

am loving the video.....

• Options

But, have proper got my freak on about how cold it's going to be, that picture of you guys running round london the other day looks like you're well and truely rugged up.

I know it's crazy to think about running the marathon in clothes i haven't done a long run in, but man am I ever thinking about wearing my depths of winter running gear, which I have NEVER done a long run in... Or at least taking, now, where was that list... Do you think it's feasible to run with a sleeping bag?!

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

yup, we were rugged up.  I took my jacket off for a little while but had to put it back on.  It was about 4-5 degrees though and those couple more can make a nice difference.  Usually it takes to about 10-12 degrees for me to get out the short sleeves and 3/4s.

• Options

It'll be fine! it's just the waiting around at the start I am worried about. Might take one of those paper DIY suits to keep me warm as bin bags are rubbish at keeping the heat in

Being a hardened adopted northerner I have been running in shorts and t-shirts all winter (ok so I put the lycra leggings on once) though I would like to ditch the gloves soon

• Options

Runnning in one pair of running tights and no jacket will be a novelty next wkend!! Not sure about 3/4 or full length tights though and short or long sleeve top??? Its going to be lots warmer than I am used too but I get cold really quick and find it hard to get warm again??image

• Options
    M BaldiniM Baldini ✭✭✭

I went to the local charity shop yesterday. Nice big fleecey jumper and a pair of jogging bottoms for a quid each. I shall be leaving them at the startimage

Just run 5.5 miles. Achilles grumbled a bit so just going to do a couple of spin classes this week and leave it at that.....

• Options
    Last longish run done before next Sunday... Excited!!
  • Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Advice please. Last weekend ran 12 miles, had a pain last mile. Did 5 miles in the week and this afternoon. Pain both times after 4 miles. The pain is situated on the top outside of my thigh. It seems as the muscle is very tight. I hoped rest and some stretching would have solved the problem. I would be grateful if someone could tell what I should do. Thanks.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

PC - sounds like your ITB.  It doesn't really do stretching.  Have you got a foam roller? if so, get on it.  if not, go buy one (tomorrow of course).

• Options

I observe that Taper Madness is well established in this patient (i.e. you lot the Threaders). Good stuff. means you are right on course. 

I have reserved 37 places for Pasta Papas on Saturday night at 6pm, including you KeyserSuze plus man of your choice.  I'll write up the full list later so everyone is clear.

With a group this big, we'll be split over many tables and will be quite a burden to manage, so please don't be late and be ready to pay in cash (so don't bring 100EUR notes but little 'uns). We'll split the bill evenly.  I suggest that most of us meet up 10-15 minutes early by the nearest Metro stop on the Champs Elysees (Franklin Roosevelt). I'll probablt carry my flag so can be spotted easily.  This will enable us to work out who we want to sit next to (francophones - c'est pour toi!) and have a chatter before we go in.

Address for the resto is here

For the cycling fans - did anyone watch the Ronde Van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders) today? - spoiler alert - Cancellara monstered Sagan on the last climb. Was brilliant to watch such athleticism. Might try some athleticism this coming week. Like running for exampe. Might do longer runs than you lot finallyimage

• Options

PC - I agree with RS it does def sound ITB, if so then roller and also can do activation exercises on weaker leg before the start of a run. I have to do this as it is one of the things I have continually suffered with, due a weak right hip.

Kaz, Jus, others worried about cold - when i did NYhalf 2 weeks back there was snow on the ground at the start at 6am image so i was standing in 4 layers and a foil thing!! i was shaking ridiculously as you have to stand there for so long, about an hour in total, which seems forever at -3/-4. Anyway before it started i got rid of my tracksuit bottoms and 2 extra tops and then eventually disposed of the foil at the start line. My extra tops were not baggy enough so i had to discard just before the gun went off.

My best tip if you really suffer from standing in the cold - this obv is for girls or weaker menimage  - is to put one of those heat patches http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=260981350 on your back at the top, and discard at say mile 1 or 2 when you have warmed up, i did this as i had too in NY. I am very small and dont have any extra padding to keep the warmth in.

Otherwise race day kit for cold weather is two layers - a singlet with a long sleeves top on top, gloves and my 2xu long tights. The tunnels and the shade in paris will make you go from warmer to cold, and its better to be too hot than too cold. Well i think it is!!

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

37?!?!  FAAAARRR OUT!  Anyone else staying near the arc up for a 5.30pmish meet up to wander down?

TD - I hope you'll have your running shoes on to run us stragglers in the last few kms!! (that goes for you too DLR!)

• Options
    RS 2 thumbs up from me Ingrid and co
  • Options

Bloody heck you'd think i'd be used with the cold eh?!?!?image Maybe I am just panicking after pulling muscle last yr but I was standing about in shorts then which obviously I will not be doing this yr!

Flourless Chocolate and Beetroot cake a major hit and the best part is that one slice is more than enough!!! Very tasty, no sugar - honey as sweetner........think I may even be converting BF to my kind o food!!!image

• Options

I may meet you before your meal for a wee minute??