Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Clag - I leave Orkney on the 17.20 flight on Thursday, then 5.55am flight on Friday via Frankfurtimage arrive at 13.15. Seems a long trip, but no where near as long as my 'adventure' last year!!

• Hi - I`ve been lurking - I posted on another forum a couple weeks ago as I was making a comeback from 3 weeks of no running (ITB). Anyway - I got some great advice and I`m back in the race - as everyone else started their taper I was just ramping back up. I got back to 18 miles last Tuesday, decided that was close enough and I`ve been on a steep taper since then. I`m now super super nervous as its my first marathon and I didn't get to the 22 miles I was planning to. But I reckon I`ll get round, which is good enough - it will just be more painful and less dignified and take longer..... And I don`t know what to wear. Reading this helps calm me! Thank you!
  • Having typed out my checklist (here, incase anyone wants a look) I'm now more worried that my normal suitcase (the exact size of easyjets handluggage allowance) might not be big enough! Don't have another, so might end up loading myself in backpacks.

• I must get vaseline when at the airport on Friday morning..........someone please remind me........

• Welcome to the light Claire image

Daddsy - bloody great list mate - 3 thing on there i need - Power adapter, vaseline and ibroprofen gel - must get them

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Marv - Body Glide for me. Works brilliantly.

Daddsy - it's amazing what you can get into hand luggage - or coat pockets.
  • Thankfully I'm on the Eurostar so I won't have to do the coat pockets trick this time, even though I do enjoy it! (Ryanair once asked if I was taking the p a little by having a camera body in one pocket and lenses in two others...my coat weighted as much as the case) Worst comes to worst a well packed case and a rammed backpack should do the trick.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah, you found us, Claire. That's great...about your recovery, I mean. You'll have a great time. come to the pub and show us yer medal.

Hello, Marv. *I messaged you a while back , addressing you as ' Mary'. Sorry about that.It's the specs. I see now...image*

Adaptor! Great reminder.I always have to buy one. Thanks.

Top Tip: buy the Vaseline before you go. I've had the ' Vaseline' conversation in  Paris.It comes in tubes and is of 2 different consistencies , depending on what you want it for..That's when the conversation started to go wrong.

• For anyone that forgets the Vaseline this is a great cheap, multi purpose product available in chemists.  I rub it on my feet, my face in cold weather as protection and it is a great after sun calming cream too ... although I doubt we will need that on Sunday.

http://www.drugs.com/drp/biafine-topical-emulsion.html

• The Jimbob wrote (see)

Welcome to the light Claire image

Daddsy - bloody great list mate - 3 thing on there i need - Power adapter, vaseline and ibroprofen gel - must get them

Oh Shxt! and Running Socks ..... What do you lot reckon of these?
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_29931.htm

• That got me laughing, thanks ATM
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Daddsy great list. Will make mine so much easier to create, Thanks.

I am asuming that as this is France the distance markers on the course will be in kms (just to confuse us non French people of course).

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Carl D - they have mile markers too
  • Welcome to all the new folk. The more the merrier. And we are pretty merry bunch already.

Back to work tomorrow for a couple of days, thank goodness. It will keep my mind occupied. I am now confident that I'll be on the start line as the weeks rest from running has helped settle the heel down a bit. What happens after I cross the start line remains to be seen...
  • All the lists are very helpful. Along with gloves and hat, will also bring sunscreen as it looks like sun and there is little shade on the course from what I have gathered. The visit to the charity shops is a great idea for clothes to wait around in. Thanks. Am now seriously contemplating a haircut. Is there a logic to this? Does one go faster or just look ones best in the photographs? Need to seek out small kettle for the porridge as well. Realise I need to get base layer and am going to get a long sleeve skins top. I hate being cold more than being hot so think this is the right choice but it would have been better if I had a chance to check out on a long run rather than only the remaining short ones.
  • Getting VERY excited now! But my usual pre-marathon madness has set in!

I'm getting the Eurostar there - can I take my gels with me? Will they get through security or will they be confiscated like (I presume) they would on a plane?

Also, I'm in the blue pen (3h30), but since I registered I've done a marathon in 3h18. Will I be able to move up to the 3h15 pen? Or can you only move back pens? And do you go to the desk at the expo to move pen before or after you pick up your number? And if you successfully move pen, do you get given a new number?

Sorry for all the questions!! I'll have hundreds more as the week goes on!!

Thanks! Hope everyone is feeling ready!!
  • I need to book a haircut now!?* Also I need to check all the Eurostar gubbins about baggage and security stuff....need to write another list...

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Steve, you can move forward as well as back. They say you need to show' proof of the result you're relying on if you want to go into Yellow or Red so take a copy of your result with you.

However, I've seen them change colours just on request and, frankly, a quick look at the person asking. ( I don't think I'd be entertained..image ) You collect your designated Bib, go to the desk marked' Litiges' and explain. They will simply mark the original with a stripe in the new colour.No new number.No new bib. Sunday morning,you have to show your bib to get into the relevant pen .

• Thanks ATM, that's great. Cheers.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Eurostar people, step away from the search engine.  It's the ultimate way to paris (apart from yer_maj's car), you can take as much liquid/gel as you like on the eurostar.  I took over about 15 last year incase anyone needed them (offer stands for this your too people, SIS go gels are what I'm packing).

Dannirr wrote (see)

In case I don't remember in person, thanks everyone for the great comraderie, lessons, suport and entertainment once agan this year leading up to this coming weekend. I really appreciate each and every one of you. (Unless you beat me again RS image)

you know you like it!  I definitely will not be beating anyone this year.  I plan to bring it right royally up the rear with DV (my gift to DLR for the evening).

chasmiles wrote (see)

Ok....well at the top of my list I now have ribbons and horses (phew) then I have several different lists...Food, electrics, running kit, normal clothes, food.

So, I'm bringing things like porridge pots, noodle pots, travel kettle, gels for race (saunter) and scientific recovery snacks i.e. cake and cola. Chargers - for watch, ipod, shuffle...race belt/bum bag/phone pouch...pain killers/gels...shin tape....inhalers...nail clippers/needles image Throw away clothes for the start and then MANY layers....long runners and capri runners (not sure what to wear yet) long sleeve top and t-shirt for over...compression socks...the list goes on and on. Ooo Ooo germaline (can't spell that) muscle cream, and then the important med cert, convocation, passport, tickets.........BREATH......I promise I'm not a freak, but you did ask image

you're not a freak...you're one of usimage

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Steve Duffy 2 wrote (see)
    Getting VERY excited now! But my usual pre-marathon madness has set in!

I'm getting the Eurostar there - can I take my gels with me? Will they get through security or will they be confiscated like (I presume) they would on a plane?

Also, I'm in the blue pen (3h30), but since I registered I've done a marathon in 3h18. Will I be able to move up to the 3h15 pen? Or can you only move back pens? And do you go to the desk at the expo to move pen before or after you pick up your number? And if you successfully move pen, do you get given a new number?

Sorry for all the questions!! I'll have hundreds more as the week goes on!!

Thanks! Hope everyone is feeling ready!!

I moved up a pen last year.  There wasn't even a cursory glace.  I think my HUGE grin gave it away that training has gone better than expected.  They put a little sticker in the new colour over the old coloured bit on your number.

and to reitterate - gels, as many as you want, are fine on the eurostar.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

oh and while I'm having a postfest.  Phucking eurostar website won't let me print my tickets!!!!

• When i've used Eurostar in the past its been fine. Taken loads of wine through from M&S before. So its doesn't have the same regulations as airports. They scan everything so just give yourself plenty of time to get through. If you are going to buy stuff get it before going through as there is only a tiny WH Smiths the otherside and a cafe. There is a bigger M&S at the top of St Pancras near boots if your going to buy refreshments for your journey....

• blimey in the time it took me to type, the thread moved on. Hope I can move as quickly on Sunday....

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    ATM wrote (see)

Jus T, the chip is embedded in the bib. No need to fiddle with your shoes or lift your foot at the Finish.

But you will need some safety pins to attach the bib! Sorry - I'm sure you've thought of that but you never know...

Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    ATM wrote (see)

Jus T, the chip is embedded in the bib. No need to fiddle with your shoes or lift your foot at the Finish.

But you will need some safety pins to attach the bib! Sorry - I'm sure you've thought of that but you never know...

Thanks guys, I hate the awkward lifting of foot at the end, all I can do is stumble around! I had not even thought of safety pins! They always come with our bibs here! Great thinking image

Last proper day in the office freak outs have begun, maybe the double shot coffee wasn't the best way to go today? I can just imagine all the text/emails Mr T is going to get today with last minute requests/freak outs. Hanky, yes, must email him about that now...

• I just did a faster-than-race-pace 3.2k today.   All 'downhill'.   Nice little skydive over Normandy.   Bit chilly, but a good way to start the day.

Jus T wrote (see)
    Glad to hear its not just me having a fret about what to wear!

I was planning on layers, but think I'll use my old beat-up top which keeps me warm, but with a zipper at the neck, and unzipping cools me enough.   To that I'll add a jacket I plan to buy at a charity shop, and ditch it within the first 1/4 mile.   Last year there was TONs of very nice gear scattered along the first mile.   If anyone is having spectators come along, have them bring an empty backpack.   Lots of nice running gear to be picked up. 

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

I definitely will not be beating anyone this year.  I plan to bring it right royally up the rear with DV (my gift to DLR for the evening).

Kaz - can you get a larger Vaseline?

• Am going with shorts, short sleeve top and arm warmers - the semi was 3 degrees at the start 4 weeks ago but figured I can cosy up to peeps at the start for a bit of warmth image.  It occured to me I may need to eat on sat night; is it too late to add myself to the ever growing list?  RS et al, can I meet you under the Arc for the pre meet up meet up

• I'm getting a bit nervous about Paris!!

One thing though what do i do if my hotel doesn't serve breakfast before 7am on Sunday. I need my porridge and cup of tea?? Also anyone know how long it will take to get from the airport to where the expo is? We get into Paris about 18.30 and want to go straight there as we can do some sightseeing on Saturday. (My daughter is very excited about the Effile Tower)!!

One last thing any good places to eat loads of pasta on Saturday evening??

Thanks for any feedback.