Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Nice one Rick. Now you've retaken Omaha beach again, you need to march East and quick. Got to storm Paris by Saturday (at least to the expo).

Did my first run in a week tonight, including a hilly 10k under 42mins. So not even last year's mara pace! Anyway, it felt good.

As one last act of service to my running friends, I will offer to apply Vaseline to any runner who is in need of a little extra motion specific lubrication pre-race, just under the Arc at 08:00 Sunday morning*. Sleep well everyone and do remember the most important night for good sleep vis-a-vis race performance is TWO nights before, ie Friday night.

*I completely reserve the right to renege on this promise according to personal preference. So Rob, that means you're outimage
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, thay's good! image
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, that's good! image

Blimmin'mobile phones!!!image
  • NB2. My hotel brekkie is at 7. But I'm planning to quoff tea, porridge and a banana in my room well before then. Orbutt pointed out to me I should check there is a kettle in my room and there is. If yours has the kettle its easy, take an oatsosimple porridge pot, a couple of pg pyramids and set your alarm for 6am. Eat first thing, let nature work its magic and at 7, grab a croissant and neck another quick cuppa from the hotel breakfast on your way out of the door. No panico!

If there's no kettle you may need to be more creative.

YM, ATM, where can one acquire a thread green wristband? Or is it create your own?
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    Jimbob - I'm confused. Is Pottermoss your mate Dan or someone else?

Dannir - have you ever visited the Statue of Liberty in Paris?

I have "sailed" past it on a river tour.  But I have not visited the one in NY - yet.

DLR - for that, I think Vaseline won't do. I'll loan you my anti-friction super glide stuff (that I use on my nipples (when running)).

I had my name put on the front of my shirt - so I'm wearning that no matter what the weather. I need the personal encouragement from the spectators.

I think I might have taper super-madness. I refgistered today for the Steamtown Marathon in the fall, as it is a super fast one and if I train well will give me a PR and will be my best shot at a Boston Place.  I ony realised after I paid that it is the same day as Chicago, for which I am also registered. They're not that far apart....

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

YM, ATM, where can one acquire a thread green wristband? Or is it create your own?

We usually wear a green ribbon, but I will be bringing the left over green WWKD Paris MArathon 2012 wristbands with to Pasta Pappas for anyone who wants one. I'll be running with mine.

• Is the course marked in miles or kilometers or both?..
  • Sorry!!! Just seen the earlier post!!,!!!!
  • Dannirr wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

We usually wear a green ribbon, but I will be bringing the left over green WWKD Paris MArathon 2012 wristbands with to Pasta Pappas for anyone who wants one. I'll be running with mine.

Me too! Last year I couldn't find a haberdashery store so I bought a gift bag with a green ribbon handle and dismantled it. Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say!

Just done the music mix. It's, um, eclectic.

• Nic ENic E ✭✭

Hello

I joined up months ago and have been lurking since - I've had one bug after another in the last few months and so am only just beginning to believe that I will make the start line (the finish line being something I will worry about on Sunday morning ...).

Thanks so much for all the advice - I don't remember feeling this nervous for a marathon before, but the advice and support on this thread has really helped to calm me down.

Can I assume that anyone wearing a green ribbon on the Paris streets on Sunday is a friendly RW thread-person, or is that a dangerous rule to live by, do you reckon?

V good luck to everyone.

Nic

• Nic - who knows, but say hello and you might make a new friend anyway even if it's not a Paris threader image

Anyone else on the 0854 Eurostar on Saturday morning? RS and I can't be the only ones, surely?
  • I must be on the next at 9:31 (incase anyone else is on that one. Likewise Monday 20:01). Glad to not be travelling into London at 4 am for the connection for once!

• Preferential
    991 Denis Duret 

Red
    3155 Brian O'Riordan
    3231 Small Hands
    4321 dhale750
    4648 Neil Belgium
    4951 Stan Trinket
    5000 Hockey Goalkeeper
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8461 Sporty Badger
    8843 Oops
    9016 The Engineer
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    14558 Edd125
    15080 Ward 6
    15149 MG09
    15350 phil in fitter
    15444 Richard Langton 3
    16171 Steve Duffy 2
    16639 Simon MacD
    20737 Carl D
    37685 Trevor Olver
    50009 Jimbob
    52997 Jimbob's mate Dan

Purple
    14555 Jus T
    27547 NCane2
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28563 Goldeagle
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3
    32645 Larri
    32736 Rick James
    33012 Nead G
    40582 Clag
    42380 Running Rodent

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37803 Niall O'G
    37991 Emmy_H
    38351 peter burke 5
    38591 Febo
    38783 Cliff Parker
    39064 Daddsy
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39638 razdaz
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    41369 Monkey man
    41747 Scott Walker
    42561 ATM
    42579 PC91
    43795 NGUG
    46570 Alexander

Grey
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    51653 Sarah Buchanan Smith 3
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    30831 Radar Sal
    58012 Audrey Brown
    58251 Londonliv
    58463 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus
    63573 Onetit

• up at KOC...   I'd almost forgotten what that's like...

Talking of whom...   if you have the WWKD green wrist bands that Dannirr very kindly had made and sent out, then remember it is compulsory that they are worn all weekend...  

Failure to wear them will mean 2 HOURS will be added to your marathon time.

• Can I start my marathon at KOC??

I had a question,  but now after catching up I can't remember what it wasimage

I am sooooo tired..........but there is one thing I am quite sure of and that I will sleep well on Friday night after all I am going to be up earlier than KOC and travellling, and panicing all day!!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Suzy Martines wrote (see)

It occured to me I may need to eat on sat night; is it too late to add myself to the ever growing list?  RS et al, can I meet you under the Arc for the pre meet up meet up

shhhhhh, meert us at the arc and we'll sneak you in.  Don't tell TD thoughimage

Weedy - KITCHEN SINK!!!!  KITCHEN SINK!!!

• TD - I presume you're importing vast quantities of industrial strength Belgian vaseline then. Good practice for ITLR!!

Legs tired walking up steps at airport this am. No more running til Thursday for me.

Enjoy your Tuesday everyone.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Steve Duffy 2 wrote (see)

I'm getting the Eurostar there - can I take my gels with me? Will they get through security or will they be confiscated like (I presume) they would on a plane?

Agree with RS. They wont take anything away. I've travelled dozens of times on the eurostar. One did give me a weird look for taking pots of porridge thoughimage

If anyone needs them - I can bring spare Powerbar (lemon/lime flavour).

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

I definitely will not be beating anyone this year.  I plan to bring it right royally up the rear with DV (my gift to DLR for the evening).

Kaz - can you get a larger Vaseline?

At the moment; it looks like i'll be joining you. Phucking IT Band. I managed 25km cycle yesterday though image

Dannirr wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

Dannirr - Can you bring one for me. I have no way of obtaining green ribbon before Saturday thanks to work.

Dark Vader wrote (see)

up at KOC...   I'd almost forgotten what that's like...

Talking of whom...   if you have the WWKD green wrist bands that Dannirr very kindly had made and sent out, then remember it is compulsory that they are worn all weekend...  

Failure to wear them will mean 2 HOURS will be added to your marathon time.

I'm not sure that would make much difference to my timeimage

I havent started packing but am going on the 'lighter' approach and nothing expensive (no ipad/kindle/expensive phone/a lot of money). It'll be the essential. RS/DLR - I may impose on your hospitality and come to your hotel on race day to drop my bag off. I've heard horror stories from a friend last year of 'missing' items from the bag drop image

• Yes Suzy, Nicole et al. I've booked 37 places and that's a bid wedge of people for a restaurant to cope with. My suggestion is come along with us and they may just be able to squeeze a few extra in. It's normally pretty cramped in there and they will want to get rid of us quick for the next sitting.

So please everyone remember to be there on time and bring cash in small notes so we can easily pay. We'll do a straight splitting of the bill. You can already check their menus ( just pasta or pizzas really) at www.Pastapapa.fr
  • A useful app to put on your phone, is the Paris Metro map.   You'll use it a lot...

• Never thought o that DV.

OCD has now moved onto washing anything that will fit in the Washing Machine. Poor kidz not happy as I've got them up 'early' so I can get their beds done!image

Now something is happening with the silly print and I canna get it changed......image

• Not a good start today - out for an early run I managed to trip and fall flat on my face for no reason at all image . No permanent damage done, I don't think, but I'll have a big bruise on my knee. Boiler also on the fritz, so no hot water imageimage . But worst of all there's something not right in my left calf - I'm hoping it's just cramping, but I'm massaging away like a mad thing in the hope I can get rid of it.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

kaz1 wrote (see)

Never thought o that DV.

OCD has now moved onto washing anything that will fit in the Washing Machine. Poor kidz not happy as I've got them up 'early' so I can get their beds done!image

Now something is happening with the silly print and I canna get it changed......image

So you won't be able to ambush Mr Kaz this year at midnight on the Metro with washing questions then. Poor guy never had a chance. image

RR - Ouch, hope you are ok.

• RR - ice it, rest it and no more running till Sunday x

• Eggy - The poor guy never has a chance!!image

RR - Hope your ok.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

RR - ice it, rest it and no more running till Sunday x

+1

Hmm... I need to print out the metro map.