Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• OK - stupid question time. I know you've answered it 50 times before, and I'm sorry to ask again, but...

From Charles de Gaulle, is it best to hop off at the Parc des Expositions to go to the expo on the RER B line right away before heading into the city? Am I looking at the right line? It looks from the RER B line that the Expo is 2 stations after the airport as you head into the city.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

OK - stupid question time. I know you've answered it 50 times before, and I'm sorry to ask again, but...

From Charles de Gaulle, is it best to hop off at the Parc des Expositions to go to the expo on the RER B line right away before heading into the city? Am I looking at the right line? It looks from the RER B line that the Expo is 2 stations after the airport as you head into the city.

No, wrong place entirely. The expo is on the other side of Paris at The Porte de Versailles Exhibition Centre.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Maus - Parc Des Expositions is not the Expo. I made this mistake last year, and ended up fair dodging.

The Parc Des Expositions on the RER line is another conference centre near to the airport.

For the Expo you will need to go into the city and then onward to Porte de Versailles.

• Thanks Eggy! Knew there was something amiss. Just conveniently found RR's post about it too while looking for something else!

• I'm sure someone mentioned a while back that one of the papers prints times etc. on Monday...does anyone know which it was? Would be good to buy a copy (can buy a few spares if wanted, case should be less full once the food and drink has gone!)

Anyways, as I think my training is finished, thanks for all the advice dished out in this thread for everyone more experienced, it's been a huge help over the last few months and has made making my first marathon an overseas one all the more exciting. Hope those of you with injuries who are still going for it recover in the next few days, and that everyone heading there now has a safe journey! See you in the bar!
  • TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Onetit - sorry to hear the news. Glad you have good memories

With my cold still taking hold I have taken the day off to hopefully recover. Missed last night's run which is the only run I have missed in my 20 week plan but at this stage isn't going to impact on the marathon.

Has anyone signed up to the sms service and if so what format should we put UK numbers in? I did+44 and left off the 0, does that sound right?

Just downloading the mara mp3, not sure if I want to use it or my own play list.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Daddsy - I believe the paper is L'Equippe

TrevO - I haven't gone for it but that sounds right

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Trev I put the 0 in brackets
  • TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Thanks YM, its not the clearest really.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

((Onetit)) - I'm sorry for your loss image

Jimbob  - good luck for the dentist!

• I put the 0 in brackets too Trev. When I click validate, nothing seems to happen? And you missed ONE run in 20 weeks?? Well done!

Sorry to hear your news Onetit. A wee run round Paris will help take your mind off it.

My cold has come back. Damn, damn, damn. 'Team DV' might have a few new members. Day off today and fly out from Aberdeen tomorrow morning . Now I need to go and find more things to worry about.
  • TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

MacD - I kind of felt that if I miss 1 I would start to miss more so have been motivated to do them all. Have been flexible though and swapped things around.

• thanks everyone.

In order to lift my spirits (and not drink them) my neighbours popped over and we got talking about paris etc.  they have NO idea about a marathon, people. how far etc.  never even seen Paris, so I popped the DVD of 2007 (last time I was there) on and they were aghast.  the sight of everyone lining up, just the scale of it all......

The front runners, passing 10k in under 30 mins, so I told them how long it takes me to get there - then they realised....LOL

So now I'm in the zone...!!  bring it on.

Happy journey everyone.

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)

*No, DLR, I did not wear a uniform supplied by Ann Summers...

I wouldn't know anything about Ann Summers shops, but I'm guessing they are pet shops?  The one in the White Rose centre has a sign in the window saying £15 off all rabbits.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I have clearly missed something - how can you register for sms tracking?

• SP - log into the ASO site and you can then buy some extras - text service and/or video.
  • SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Thanks image

Have a great race, everyone and thanks for all the support. I have really enjoyed being part of the thread. I hope to see some of you there and will look out for you.

Godt løb (as we say up here!)

• Onetit - sending you a virtual hug.

Got asked today how long Paris is - was at end of an interview - really wanted to scream, but instead answered, and walked away calmly - really?!

My injuries are flaring, as with everyone else, i think that it is just all our nervous energy coupled with the hideous weather. We need to relax somehow. I would like a drink!!! But will abstain still Sunday afternoon.

Whilst i am def moving pens from 345 to 4, if i think i need to move further back on the morning will they let me in or shall i just drift backwards as i run soooo slowly?!

Good luck all, and i will meet you by the Arc, i may not have a green ribbon though image

• Can't find a green ribbon, but I'll have a tartan one.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Breakfast runners of the world unite.

For those of use doing the breakfast run on the Saturday morning I'd suggest we meet up outside the Metro Station Ecole Militaire at the crossroads between 8:30-8:45am. This worked well enough last year.

Kaz - If you want to meet up to travel down to the start for that one just sent me a text or give me a call.

• A profound one today :

'The last few kilometres of a marathon are never foreseeable. They are what they are. And that will have to do.'
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    That's us told then!
  • Dannirr wrote (see)

I think I'm broken.  Either stress fracture or shin splints left foot. Might have to revise my goal to just finish.

Well Dannirr, that doesn't sound like good news. Have you been ignoring this problem for a while, hoping it's nothing really or will go away... or is it more of a sudden thing? The trouble is, they both feel identical (fracture or splints) and only an X-ray or scan can determine the extent of the damage. The good news is that because stress fractures are such a bad injury, the body starts supplying lots of paini well ahead of time to alert you to the issue.  I think it's pretty rare to run into a stress fracture.
    As you know your body far beter than anyone else could, you can judge what effort you should do.  Impact wise, there's not much difference between running fast or slow. It's the distance that is damaging. As a long term issue, I might also proffer the advice that minimalist or barefoot running might not be helping you here. But anyway, do the usual RICE stuff, take some calcium and VitD supplements and keep your fingers crossed. Remember it's much better to stop and withdraw than to run yourself into hospital as a patient!

Those fingers are crossed for you too Carl! Careful with the gnashers Jimbob. I suspect you are better with your jaw working!

Marathon Maus wrote (see)

*No, DLR, I did not wear a uniform supplied by Ann Summers...

I notice that you wrote than in the past tense Mausey, which makes me somewhat hopeful that there is indeed a possibility you will come thus attired to Corcorans. My wife would love to see some photographs of me hugging people in fancy dress outfits.

Not. image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Onetit - Sorry to hear the news.

NCane2 - Are you famous ? Do you often give interviews ?  Back at the start of thread a Robert from Leeds "Asked how far was the Paris Marathon ? " and someone replied "About 500 miles from Leeds !'.  pmsl.

Hopefully getting my bib tonight.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE. And for the unlucky ones, I'll see you at Pasta Papas

• To whet your appetite, the weather is gorgeous this side of the English Channel even if it isn't actually warm. Bring sunglasses image and a big smile.

To HelterSkelter, Iain Moore, Eggy, Running Rodent, Marathon Maus, Weedy, Emmy_H, The Jimbob and any others who are provisionally interested in coming to join in with In The Long Run... is there a chance we can all get together over the weekend for a photograph?

Eggy has done a fab job getting our website up and going and we are wanting to start blogging and tweeting stuff, so it would be nice to have an interesting story and pic to go with it about how we are pulling together. An idea for all you runners who may be interested to support as with ITLR2013, in reaching our goal of raising 30,000 EUR...

If you come away from Paris with any spending money leftover*, would you be happy to donate it to ITLR rather than changing it back into another currency?

As we speak, Weedy is working on designs for our running shirts. Aren't we lucky to have his talents to draw on?!

image *well, it could happen if you are too tired to walk around and buy expensive espressos!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

To whet your appetite, the weather is gorgeous this side of the English Channel even if it isn't actually warm. Bring sunglasses image and a big smile.

To HelterSkelter, Iain Moore, Eggy, Running Rodent, Marathon Maus, Weedy, Emmy_H, The Jimbob and any others who are provisionally interested in coming to join in with In The Long Run... is there a chance we can all get together over the weekend for a photograph?

Eggy has done a fab job getting our website up and going and we are wanting to start blogging and tweeting stuff, so it would be nice to have an interesting story and pic to go with it about how we are pulling together. An idea for all you runners who may be interested to support as with ITLR2013, in reaching our goal of raising 30,000 EUR...

If you come away from Paris with any spending money leftover*, would you be happy to donate it to ITLR rather than changing it back into another currency?

image *well, it could happen if you are too tired to walk around and buy expensive espressos!

Are we in the same city? It was snowing this morning!

A great idea Tricky! A photo sounds like a great idea. Can we do it before the race so I could look remotely decent?

• Tooth fixed hopefully. Got to wait for novacane to wear off to see if pain gone. No infection she (dentist) said. Fingers crossed.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Novocaine sends me completely demented, JB. I had some 3 days before the Cardiff Half and just about came back down to earth for the race. Hope the teeth are sorted.

Dan, that doesn't sound good. Massage helped mine a lot, painful though it was.

We're nearly at Folksstone. In driving snow....
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky's link is a wee bit broken, try this one

In the long run