Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• TD those scales sound a bit scary... Too much information for me, I think! Although I am curious to know % body fat.

No tanlines for me besides a slightly pink nose - that'll be the long sleeves!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Excellent news Gemster and Finchy S! image

Really, The E? imageimage  Thread hats, all round!

• MM - I guess you're getting the benefit from the other electrolytes... Magnesium supplements often make my patients have side effects that ensure we go running for the... Bristol stool chart!

Glad you're doing ok.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

So if you have a burn rate of about 175g an hour, and you can ingest 90g an hour, that gives a working deficit of 85g/hr. Each gel provides about 25-30g of carbs. If you run for 4 hours you burn 700g, starting with 400g, so a total deficit of 300g.

1 gel every half hour starting at 30 mins into the race and finishing 30 mins before you complete the race is 7x25=175g. This means you would finish the race with approx. 125g inside you, just enough buffer to ensure that you still get a good supply of carbs to your muscles.

TD, thank you, this is all really interesting. I need to lose weight to keep this running thing up, but I'm realising that I can't use the running to run a calorie deficit and burn fat and still run well. I have to get my body used to it race nutrition. On this bit of the sums, my head hurts. If you have an overall deficit of 300g and refuel with 175g of gels doesn't that still mean a deficit of 125g and not a surplus? 

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Pottermoss - yes, but you're starting point after good training and carb loading is 400g of stored glycogen (carbs). 

TD - sorry to go back to this but I re-read it and I see what Pottermoss is saying. If you have 400g to start and add 175g during the run that makes 575g. If you then use 700g are you not 125g down still?

• I struggled with the arithmetic as well Malcs. Glad I'm not the only one.

TD - could you try and explain again? Slowly...
  • Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

MM - I guess you're getting the benefit from the other electrolytes... Magnesium supplements often make my patients have side effects that ensure we go running for the... Bristol stool chart!

Glad you're doing ok.

Where's ATM when we need her? I have heard that. Thankfully, it's less problematic for my digestion than the gels...Uggggh

• @KeyserSuze wrote (see)

TD those scales sound a bit scary... Too much information for me, I think! Although I am curious to know % body fat. 

KS: Once you know the percentage, you can't un-know it! I prefer wilful ignorance...

• Just doing some work to collate the hotels reviews...Looking at the website for the hotel The Engineer recommended. The description sounds like it's been written by Swiss Tony!

"Feel the soft embrace of Sofitel Paris La Défense, an urban cocoon in Europe's largest business district. Feel a passion for contemporary arts, from Jean-Philippe Nuel's sophisticated designs to stunning original art."
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

for all you guys wondering what your ideal running weight is.  In the Jan 2013 issue of RW (you know that magazine on running) there's an article on Your perfect running weight.  Can't find it online but there's two different calculation methods:

Method A)

Step 1: calculate your baseline.  Boys = 110lb for first 5 ft + 5 lb per additional inch, Girls = 100lb for first 5 ft + 5.5 lb for each additional inch

Step 2: work out your frame size.  Boys (all heights) wrist size = 5.5-6.5 in - small, 6.5-7.5 - Medium, over 7.5 - large.  Girls (under 5 ft 2 in) under 5.5 - small, 5.5-5.75 - med, over 5.75 - large; 5 ft 2 to 5 ft 5: under 6 - small, 6-6.25 - med, over 6.25 - large; over 5 ft 5: under 6.25 - small, 6.25-6.5 - med, over 6.5 - large.

Step 3: small frame = base weight - 10lb, med frame = base weight, large frame = base weight + 10lb

Method B)

Step 1) get out the scary scales or some calipers image and establish your current body fat

Step 2) calculate your body fat: current weight x current body fat (from step 1)

Step 3) calculate your current lean body mass: Current weight - body fat (from step 2)

Step 4) calculate target lean body mass: 1.00-target body fat % (decimal)

Step 5) Calculate your ideal running weight based on body composition: Step 3 result / step 4 result

SIMPLES!

• Bloody hell RS. That's a bit much for a Friday night. I'll need to find my calculator.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

The sad reality of my friday night.  Tomorrow will be the amazing diversion of work so have to be good tonight, and you guys wonder why I go a bit crazy after a marathon.  All work and no play...makes for very messy when I do image

(whoops, Pity party for 1, pity party for 1, calling pity party for 1image )

• MM - what's the name of that hotel? I need to make a booking ASAP.
  • 213kg and 3 ounces. That doesn't look right.
  • Hi folks. On maths issue, i've obviously given too high an estimate for the energy burn rate. Like i said, i was doing it from memory. Would need to look it up. The specific numbers will be wrong (only averages anyway, everyone will have different values), but the principles are good. I think te original question was about gel manufavturers trying to make you overuse their products. I think that is very unlikely. Cheers and sorry for being onfusing....
  • Simon Mac3:30 wrote (see)
    MM - what's the name of that hotel? I need to make a booking ASAP.

Hotel Sofitel la Defense. Perhaps the Engineer could tell us whether staying there was like making love to a beautiful woman...

• Evening all,

That's me tucked up at home safely after going by tesco on way home and buying so much that getting it and suitcases plus kids in car was 'interesting'!

Second load of washing now on too.

Geek mode- I have now looked at splits for Sundays run, and I don't know what I was doing.........my last 3 miles were the fasted all at 8.36mm....... Counting in my head obviously gets me into some kinda rhythm?!?

First post mara run planned for KOC.......
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Been on the sites, Gu, SIS and Overstim. They tell you that you should take their product but there is little or no information. Gu says that the body can digest 350cal/h, if you consume more the body diverts blood away from the muscles. They recommended 2 gels/h . 2 x 100cal. 2 x 21 carbs. The others recommend 1-3 gels/h, it's by feeling! Disappointing.

I will look at a few examples which worked, eg TJB, know his fuel in take, his time, imagine he finished with 125g. Find out how many grams burnt/hour.
  • Tooooooo complicated DLR, and basically I already know I am toooo chunky!!
  • According to MJ I'd need to be 9st 7lb Kaz.  I'm currently 12st 12lb!  To get to that level I'd need to lose a good chunk of lean mass as well as almost all fat.

www.myfitnesspal.com is where the action is at

• Maus - good to hear you're doing okay image

• DLR - I've seen that page before, and I'd have real reservations about using it as a guide. According to that, I'm 'overweight' if I weigh more than 8 stone 6, which would give me a BMI of around 18 - that's not healthy. It's also not going to happen unless I lop off a leg, which won't improve my marathon time image .
  • Rs- that is one tough formula . My girlfriend has a degree in Maths so I'm going to need her help solving that equation

Gels -never had any problems with taking them , always take them with water to wash them down

Tried lucozade energy tabs on a few long slow runs shortly before the marathon with almost devastating consequences (think trying to run while doing ur best penguin impersonation )
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TD - please don't apologise, I'm really grateful for the info (I'm sure everyone else is too). Thanks again. 

• I used to get cramps towards end of lsr when training for Paris 2011, drinking lucozade sport, switched in 2012 to dropping one or two high5 zeros into SIS electrolyte or PSP22(now called GO) for the run then another one or two in water after the run, cramps much less now, nothing while running, just a bit after now and then and I think that's when I tense muscles up too much.

Gels...for Paris I took one 30 minutes before then every 20 minutes after start, SIS, 3 of which were the caffeine ones. + some powerbar jelly things to give something to chew on. + I reckon a whole banana over the course and some sugar lumps...felt like a horse....it all seemed to keep me going...

First run since Paris tomorrow, see if foot ok for VLM. Might see you there Eggy
  • Running Rodent wrote (see)
    DLR - I've seen that page before, and I'd have real reservations about using it as a guide. According to that, I'm 'overweight' if I weigh more than 8 stone 6, which would give me a BMI of around 18 - that's not healthy. It's also not going to happen unless I lop off a leg, which won't improve my marathon time image .

I think there's a definite mis-match for 'real world' runners but that's it s a decent theoretical guide.  The author was a contemporary of Roger Bannister and was/is well regarded for his collation of training stats over many years and his training of runners from these.

For me it would have a par weight of 9st 7lb - 2 stone lighter than any point in my adult life, even when 30 waist jeans were pretty lose - but that'd still be in a healthy BMI range.  

The challenge is that I'd need to lose around 20-25lb of muscle as well as taking body fat down to 6-7% in order to get there and that's neither desireable nor achieveable for me, though might be quite reasonable for a natural ectomorph of the same height.

It also relates to a par time of 2:41 which seems equally fantastical.  

However, if I look at what seems a just about feasible weight for me of 10st 7lb and move up from the par time accordingly, I suspect it could be very accurate as a predictor of potential if all the other criteria were met.

• Just checked Haillie's stats - he works out bang on the par weight, but he's the natural ectomorph elite rather than the real world runner!

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    DLR - I've seen that page before, and I'd have real reservations about using it as a guide. According to that, I'm 'overweight' if I weigh more than 8 stone 6, which would give me a BMI of around 18 - that's not healthy. It's also not going to happen unless I lop off a leg, which won't improve my marathon time image .

RR - yes, I agree with Rob about the mismatch thing. That info is working on the assumption that you'd make any sacrifice to run faster. That probably accounts for less than 0.1% of competitive runners I reckon. I know I like to compete and be fast, but my wife prefers me to look lean and muscular, not skeletal and gaunt and I think I can speak on behalf of many men to say that the bony look in women doesn't come close to a few lovely curves - I reckon Swiss Tony would be with me on that one!

I think if I was around 10% BF then that's OK. I've been lower but it absolutely is not a target.

Lovely day everyone - am going off to do a sportif bike ride later and might even try a HM+ distance tmrw. In warm weather!! image

• Gorgeous frosty morning here, which I hope will clear to bright sunshine so I can get all washing sorted and grass cut..........yes holidays well and truly over!

Going by that formula DLR, I would need to get back to what I was 4 and a half years ago, and that road is closed as would be all running! I wouldn't rather be fat but the goalposts are somewhat different now....... And I had no wobbly belly today! 10k done nice and easy. image

My dog hurt his leg last weekend apparently, and apart from never telling me, BF hasn't taken him to vet either......he is still lame so another job for today, but the vet is only open for 1.5 hrs and getting an appointment is like gold dust.
  • seanb i was dropping half a zero tab in each water along the way, I cant claim to be an expert, but on warmer runs in training I found this beneficial. Also alternated between a couple of sis gels and blocks, with one caffeine gel towards the end. Shame my race went poorly for other reasons but no cramping and I had felt great in my training runs when doing it.