Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Yeah, I'm not going near the weight calc you've got DLR.  The first method from RW is pretty good (and gives me an achieveable weight that's within healthy BMI).  It goes, adjust weight for height, measure your wrist to get frame size, adjust weight for frame = done.

Kaz - sorry your doggie has a sore paw.  Does BF know what he did?  Naughty for not taking him to the vet.  Can you isolate if it's a joint or muscle issue? or do you value your hands?

• RS - Not sure what he's done? Seems to walk ok for a bit then starts hobbling for a bit then ok again? I tried to look at his paw last night as I thought there was maybe something stuck between his paws that maybe causing sharp pain now and again, but he's no having it??? I'll chain him up today and brush him etc then try again with Naomi's help!! He'll let her do anything image
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    This time last week I was.........
  • Babysitting duties in Aberdeen this weekend. Just finished a beautiful 8k run with Mrs Mac along the old Deeside railway track. Not a cloud in the sky and 1 degree. Bit like last Sunday - without the stress. And 34k shorter....
  • James B 73 wrote (see)
    This time last week I was.........

doing the breakfast run with IM, Kaz, Naomi, Eggy, Jus T. Sigh, good times.

Yesterday I didn't feel like running, but today, I just might give it a go...

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Simon Mac - still deserves a pint though.

James - this time last week I was...cruising on the eurostar with RR image

Kaz - was talking to the olds so asked about your pooch.  (you're not on FB at the moment so here it goes on the forum, I know everyone else is SUPER interested tooimage ) He's about 2-3 yrs old, right?  Have a look for something stuck in his paw, but because it's coming and going it could be a joint.  Common for BIG dogs and i hear yours is pretty large.image To see if it is a joint.  Once you can get near him, hold the leg in a bent position for approx 30 secs and then walk him around a little immediately after.  If it's super bad then, then it's probably a joint and he needs to rest (none of your usual walkies) until it clears.  Don't walk him until you can get it confirmed by the vet though and get a check on his calcium levels, if it's a joint.  Vet advice from NZ to the orkneys.  It's all happening on this forum.

• No running for Jus T today, a cold has snuck up and got me, plus my knee is still a little iffy. And I value my life - breaking myself further would not go down well for the remaining holiday plans...

Cramps - I've had muscle cramps in my legs all my life (try diagnosing that in a screaming 6 month old!) and they always recommended Magnesium too, Maus. I think it does make a difference.

Running weight - I think one of the aus websites has a similar calc to the one RS had (well the first formula anyway!) and we tested it out at work on some of the boys and myself, and while it did return a weight in the low end of the healthy scale, it seemed relatively reasonable... Body fat percentage is so funny, the measurement can be affected greatly by how hydrated you are at the time. They did it as part of a work health check and mine was really high, and there's not THAT much fat on me!

Poor doggie Kaz, hope he's feeling better soon
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Jus T - Try holding the leg in a bend postion for 30 seconds...image  Yeah, the RW fat % method does say to take measurements on the scales etc ovr a period of days.

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    DLR - I've seen that page before, and I'd have real reservations about using it as a guide. According to that, I'm 'overweight' if I weigh more than 8 stone 6, which would give me a BMI of around 18 - that's not healthy. It's also not going to happen unless I lop off a leg, which won't improve my marathon time image .

RR: I'd have to be 8 stone 5. I'm 10 pounds off that, 4 pounds off by RS's method. The latter is my own person 'ideal' too, but it's hard to maintain even if I do get there.

• Thanks RS, your a dear. image

MM - yip this time last week was breakfast run, today just breakfast 3 hours after my run!! Spinach omelette.... Health plan starts today! I may get near RS,s formula within next 8 Weeks.....it's doable! image
  • Radar Sal wrote (see)

Yeah, I'm not going near the weight calc you've got DLR.  The first method from RW is pretty good (and gives me an achieveable weight that's within healthy BMI).  It goes, adjust weight for height, measure your wrist to get frame size, adjust weight for frame = done.

The RW one gives me a target of 11st 6lb which is a big drop down from now but I think is a little on the heavy side for optimum.  I was that weight 2.5 years ago and still had 12% body fat so there was room for manaeuvre even without losing any lean weight at all - which is unrealistic.  For my height it'd give a BMI in the healthy range but in the heaviest quarter of the healthy one, which relative to marathons seems a little heavy (though BMI itself is a bit of a broad brush measure I guess).

It's liable to change but my objective for Berlin, or more accurately my objective for summer holiday on 23/07, is 11st which theoretically would have me at round about 10% BF.  I then want to hold that through to the end of September.  If I don't make it by late July then I will probably stick at where I am as i don't want to be in any great calorie deficit during peak training.

I don't think the Max Jones 'optimum' targets really work for any of us but as an indicator of the impact of different training elements and different weights on performance it's well established.  

Last year I believe I ran just about as well as I could on the day, and when I retrospectively used his calculator to predict what I should have achieved based on mileage/weight/conditions/training etc it came up with a time 90s faster than I achieved, which felt pretty much spot on.

For me it's a case of forgetting the optimum weight and the par time but using the overall formula to predict what a real world weight and training could/should achieve.

• Meant to add....if I remember it properly in Matt Fitzgerald's 'Racing Weight' the optimum weight is the one you're at for your target race but your actual weight when not at your peak could (and probably should) be up to 8% heavier.

i.e. the optimum is a temporary low and not the weight you should be steadily maintaining year round.

I found recognising that quite a beneficial way of looking at it.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

...more accurately my objective for summer holiday on 23/07, is 11st which theoretically would have me at round about 10% BF....

Trying to get to your bikini weight for the beach, eh?

• Radar Sal wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

...more accurately my objective for summer holiday on 23/07, is 11st which theoretically would have me at round about 10% BF....

Trying to get to your bikini weight for the beach, eh?

Downside is I'll have dropped a cup size by then.

• Jus T - Fingers crossed it's just a 24-hour thing.

Kaz - Hope dog's ok.

This time last week... Heading to the expo to meet Emmy, Jimbob, RS, RR, Dan and Ingrid.

This time this week... first Paris Marathon 2014 training run image Hang on a second, this time this week is right now...

http://www.todayandtomorrow.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/gone_running.jpg

• Got a letter from the insurance company today to say they'd paid the vets for the blood tests the dog had to try and see if he had any allergies.

Seven

hundred

and

thirty

four

sodding

pounds!

For a chuffing blood test.

Iain - you're treating the wrong species.

• Bloody Heck DLR, I hope dearly mine just has something in his paw.... Although I do have insurance.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

DLR - did he have any alergies?

I'd post a photo of view from my parents' new holiday home...but the forum is still broken image  Thing with being a vet is that it's not just one species and your patients can't tell you what's wrong...but them not talking can be a good thing sometimes.image

• They've told us he tested negative for fox mange!  Though they didn't think it would be that anyway.  Beyond that we've had no information.  Other than him being (broadly) on an allergy proof and ridiculously expensive food for 6 weeks.

• This chat about weight is interesting.   I'm currently about 2 stone heavier than I used to be before I started doing tri.   I put about a stone for my first IM and the in the build up to the A2A I put on a few more pounds.  My optimum weight is about 11st 3lbs and I'm currently 11st 8lbs and have been for the last year or so.  I do need to lose those few pounds and perhaps I will make the effort to do that over the next few months.

My weight gain has been deliberate and while I do have a bit of a tummy that needs trimming down, most of the weight gain has been muscle.   Changing my diet from vegan to eat anything has also been responsible.   As I'm getting older I also find that beers are having an effect.   A few nights of beers and I certainly notice the weight creeping up in the next few days.

• I won't tell you the vets bill for our llamas image

Going out for the first real run soon, it's a tad warm out there, might wear the green tshirt!!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Re: weight debate: I'm in a process of losing weight to not onl make myself within a healthy BMI but also to support running the longer distances. I know that being overweight is impacting my joints so I'd rather do a preventative treatment now than risk permanent damage in the future.

Saying that - the amount of people I've met through running who had body dis morphia (where your image of your body is different to what it actually is) is minimal in comparison to every day life. The amount of people who think being overweight as 'healthy' is astounding.
  • I'm a few kilos overweight, but willpower gets in the way of losing them .... it is also much harder as I get older, expanding waistline, hips and tummy.  Since starting running 6 years ago I have really cut down on alcohol and try and eat healthy options. Still struggling with the chocolate issue  image

The vets bills sound like having teenagers ...

Weedy - your cover was so convincing that a couple of folk went to the newsagent image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm still in the overweight category for my height, apparently.  Even though my size 10 jeans are a bit big just now...image

• Jus T wrote (see)
    Running weight - I think one of the aus websites has a similar calc to the one RS had (well the first formula anyway!) and we tested it out at work on some of the boys and myself, and while it did return a weight in the low end of the healthy scale, it seemed relatively reasonable... Body fat percentage is so funny, the measurement can be affected greatly by how hydrated you are at the time. They did it as part of a work health check and mine was really high, and there's not THAT much fat on me!

Jus T - all the elctronic ones are very sensitive to body fluid. What is perhaps most important is the trend for your BF rather than the absolutely precise figure on any given day.  I measure myself everyday, just after I get up and had the first pee, before i get dressed or drink. The trend over the last several years is very accurate and meaningful.

OK, now for some serious Lycra. Got a bike ride to do. image

• DV .... mmmm Beer

TP on the subject of willpower, snacking on crxp is the work of the devil. When i started (my current) job in 2000 - i was lighter. Ive sat at a desk clicking a mouse for the last 13 years and soon enough they were gonna need a bigger boat i mean office chair. In 2002 i quit smoking which took snacking up to a whole new level, Lucie in accounts got preggars and we all sympathy ate with her, boxes of sainsburys donuts every afternoon for our 3oclockziies! By the time i took up running/races in 2004 - i was a big boy.

Since my "shift" in my eating attitude, and i've slipped over the last few weeks during taper and race (that can be forgiven due to the workouts!) - i have found that all the evil snack foods just have to go, blanket ban - ban them all! no more Mr Kibling, no more cadburys, no more biccies with yer tea, no more cadburys or any chocolate. No pastry - stay away from that evil chain Greggs - deffo no donuts. No more giant buttons or twirl bites.  When you want to snack, crack open a bag of spinach and chomp on that for the morning - raw!

• Guys, I'm really not sure what scales/calcs you are all using but think you have to be careful. (Overweight?! Man, you should meet some of my patients. And co-workers!) Some of them seem to be grossly unrealistic. I mean, Haile conforms to some calculation... Seriously? He's not real, realistically now is he?!

My BMI is 24.5, verging on the overweight. (I could certainly drop a few kilos and hope to before Berlin.) Most importantly however - you've got to be happy with who you are. Weight may make it easier to run but your health is most important. And health can be damaged by catching unrealistic body size/weight distributions.

Sorry. I'm at work (coffee break). Best get back to it.
  • Chasing, not catching. Darned iPhone.
  • IM2 - there's nothing there of ya man! you're a lean mean fighting machine! few sit-ups and a decent run at your training and you'll be all over it in Berlin