Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Guys, I'm really not sure what scales/calcs you are all using but think you have to be careful. (Overweight?! Man, you should meet some of my patients. And co-workers!) Some of them seem to be grossly unrealistic. I mean, Haile conforms to some calculation... Seriously? He's not real, realistically now is he?!

My BMI is 24.5, verging on the overweight. (I could certainly drop a few kilos and hope to before Berlin.) Most importantly however - you've got to be happy with who you are. Weight may make it easier to run but your health is most important. And health can be damaged by catching unrealistic body size/weight distributions.

Sorry. I'm at work (coffee break). Best get back to it.

sounds like you've got your Doc hat onimage VERY sound advice though!!!  It's all about being healthy and happy image

Right, have my first bit of work done.  My reward: RUN!!  YAY!  Time for the "see if anything's fallen off" run. image

• Wow, 4.5km and felt great, lovley 15 degs too.  T shirt held up well..... image

off to munch on a rice cracker with all this weight talk.....I need to lose some, and I'm going to try hard this year.

Getting older does not help!!  Thankfully I don't drink (very much/often) or eat fatty foods.  so not idea where all the weight comes from....image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    BMI is worthless - it makes no Accomodation for body composition.

RS - my patients can't talk to me either. But their parents canimage
  • Here here Iain!!!.

Reaching an 'ideal' weight can make you feel sooooooooooo good about yourself, but the more weight you lose you also lose the perception of what is healthy and unhealthy..........basically it gets addictive and before you know it your whole life is being dictated to by food or rather lack of it and burning all calories of that you eat....

I refuse to be dictated to by scales, and although I know I need to lose a good few kilos, I also know that I am a lot healthier now than I was when I was thin. Life is about being healthy, and achieving sensible goals, and mostly being Happy within oneself.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The main thing for me was my joints. I'm following a dieticians plan who gives me all of the meals and drinks and gives me feedback. It's based on your exercise/ movements and encourages only healthy eating and sustained weight loss.

Since doing it i've been amazed how little I need to actually eat and how much I a grazing. It was all 'healthy' just way too much. I know my healthy weight and that's where I'm aiming for right now.
  • Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Maus - good to hear you're doing okay image

Thanks Weedy. I'd go so far as to say slowly coming back on form.

Viewer warning: There is going to be champagne consumed in celebration with BFF today. I apologise in advance to any of you who may receive completely inappropriate texts from me during the course of this evening...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    James B 73 wrote (see)
    This time last week I was.........

...out on a 15 mile taper run wishing I was in Paris image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I love inappropriate texts image
  • Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Viewer warning: There is going to be champagne consumed in celebration with BFF today. I apologise in advance to any of you who may receive completely inappropriate texts from me during the course of this evening...

Sounds like you're doing very okay there image You helping your friend celebrate or your friend helping you celebrate? Or both?

Crikey. If you lot are overweight, I'm doomed. Altho my BMI was at 33.2 at one point, so I'm happy with the way I'm heading.

Sal - anything drop off?

TP - that's really tickled me image

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    2 stone lost in twelve months. Would like to lose another half a stone. But would have to cut out beer and the occasional kebab. Now I'm not sure I'm prepared to the that.

Can't wait to get out but told myself 2 weeks rest. This is now down to 7 days so may go out tomorrow.
  • Wow, 4.5km and felt great, lovley 15 degs too.  T shirt held up well..... image

off to munch on a rice cracker with all this weight talk.....I need to lose some, and I'm going to try hard this year.

Getting older does not help!!  Thankfully I don't drink (very much/often) or eat fatty foods.  so not idea where all the weight comes from....image

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Sounds like you're doing very okay there image You helping your friend celebrate or your friend helping you celebrate? Or both?

It'll be a mutual celebration! image

• ooh why did my post appear twice??

Glad I went out earlier, nudging 20 now....Phew

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    This time last week I was lying on my bed praying to the running gods
  • Weedy- forgot to say thank you! That tickled me! x

MM - I m going to pm you.

DLR - I like the theory of a maintainable weight, then a marathon day race weight.....really got me thinking and sitting with the calculator...... Makes for a sad day image

Turned out a gorgeous, dry, slightly windy day here which is bloody good...4 loads of washing nearly dry - anyone like ironing???
  • Hi everybody ! 

I realized two short clips during the Paris marathon and the Paris half-Marathon 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ynmUdAvCzU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D53WFo51O60

I hope you enjoy !

Congratulations to all the runners !!

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)

It'll be a mutual celebration! image

Double congratulations, nice imageimage Have a great time.

Kaz - was a pleasure image

They're great videos Recrun, thanks for link

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

MM - good way to leave the forum in anticipation!  inappropriate texts, comments, photos and mutual celebrations are how we roll image

"See if anything will fall off" run is done and nothing fell off image bring it on berlin!!!  Slight twinging in the stumpies but went out without garmin or even a watch so don't know how long it took but think it was faster than normal.  Also did the first test drive of my brand spanking new green t-shirt.  Emmy was right, I should have stuck with the Medium.  If any of the ladies want to swap a Med for a large let me know...I'll wash it before exchange!!  PROMISE!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

oh no, babe is on ITV2 and it's the big ending.  That'll do pig, gets me everytime!

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

for all you guys wondering what your ideal running weight is.  In the Jan 2013 issue of RW (you know that magazine on running) there's an article on Your perfect running weight.  Can't find it online but there's two different calculation methods:

Method A)

Step 1: calculate your baseline.  Boys = 110lb for first 5 ft + 5 lb per additional inch, Girls = 100lb for first 5 ft + 5.5 lb for each additional inch

Step 2: work out your frame size.  Boys (all heights) wrist size = 5.5-6.5 in - small, 6.5-7.5 - Medium, over 7.5 - large.  Girls (under 5 ft 2 in) under 5.5 - small, 5.5-5.75 - med, over 5.75 - large; 5 ft 2 to 5 ft 5: under 6 - small, 6-6.25 - med, over 6.25 - large; over 5 ft 5: under 6.25 - small, 6.25-6.5 - med, over 6.5 - large.

Step 3: small frame = base weight - 10lb, med frame = base weight, large frame = base weight + 10lb

Method B)

Step 1) get out the scary scales or some calipers image and establish your current body fat

Step 2) calculate your body fat: current weight x current body fat (from step 1)

Step 3) calculate your current lean body mass: Current weight - body fat (from step 2)

Step 4) calculate target lean body mass: 1.00-target body fat % (decimal)

Step 5) Calculate your ideal running weight based on body composition: Step 3 result / step 4 result

SIMPLES!

I did Method 1 and apparently my weight is bang on perfect. Maybe I should stop being daft and relax a bit! Thanks RS and IM2 (and everyone else), it's good to know you lot are here to have a chat about nutrition.

James B I had the 'this time last week' conversation this morning - we were queuing for the expo! Athough Eggy, we should also be thinking 'this time next week', I guess!

parkrun this morning in my Paris t-shirt and these:

http://www.milletsports.co.uk/running/clothing/ladies/pants-and-tights/nike-pro-core-printed-compression-ladies-capris/

Mr KS said he thought his eyes were burning. It was pretty bright!

• RS - does that mean my mens large is going to be toooo big??? I did my run today in last yrs Paris tshirt( women's med) and it fits fine although I do like my tops longer.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

KS - This time next week I'll be pretending to be all cultured by taking in a matinee theatre show.

The time last week all the cool kids were watching a film on the Champs Elysée.

• Eggy, ooh, nice! Although you don't say what show you're seeingimage

Kaz, they're awesome and so comfy but I think they're designed to go under stuff so the waistband's a bit wander-y and there's no tie to tighten. No pocket either. But. So pretty! Definitely worth it.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

@KS - Those are mad tights!  Loving the whole outfit, it's OUT there.

Kaz - yes, your top will be HUGE.  The ladies large is a good length.  Longer than last year too.  If there's anyone that got a womans M and wants a men's large then we can arrange a swap circle image  Might be a strange person with the womans M that should have a men's large...  I WANNA met them now.

• The Jimbob wrote (see)

IM2 - there's nothing there of ya man! you're a lean mean fighting machine! few sit-ups and a decent run at your training and you'll be all over it in Berlin

TJB - cheers dude, hope you're right!

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

KS - This time next week I'll be pretending to be all cultured by taking in a matinee theatre show.

The time last week all the cool kids were watching a film on the Champs Elysée.

Eggy - they were indeed! What you seeing next week?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain - I'm thinking of going to see One Man, Two Govners. It's one of the ones on that afternoon that I've not seen. I was interested in War Horse, but that seems to be sold out.

• Afternoon all. Any more takers for pasta on Saturday night? I'll finalise numbers soon and get the table sorted. Eggy - does 6 o'clock work with your matinee or is that too early?

I'm now full of beneficial bugs for Ethiopia. I'm hoping to avoid the side effects of the yellow fever jab (paralysis and death) but also the malaria tablets (nausea and diarrhoea). Probably won't wear the white shorts for that race image . On the bright side, I think they protect me from fox mange.