Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

Good luck with the go-faster haircut PF. Have you painted your toenails yet?

Do you mean from my normal 'black' toenails? image

PF - you did promise a picture image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Sierra Leone is quite pretty, and a good place to visit now that the civil war is long behind them.  

That other thread is very typical of every thread on the US RW site - it's what got me looking here initially, and I am so glad I did.  This thread is a treasure.

RS - the best time for New Mexico is now (spring) or early October - the leaves are starting to turn, the mornings start off quite crisp but the day warms quickly as soon as the sun arrives, and the worlds biggest balloon festival is early Oct - around 1000 balloons in the air. Quite spectacular, and as the pilot, quite challenging. On one occasion I nearly took out a church steeple on a landing approach as there were so many balloons around me I had nowhere to go.

You going to have to endure a few pictures from me again:

Dinner and drinks at home:

/members/images/698298/Gallery/_DAN1857.jpg

Balloons in the morning:

/members/images/698298/Gallery/_DAN1849.jpg

Some misc NM stuff:

/members/images/698298/Gallery/_DAN1636.jpg

/members/images/698298/Gallery/_DAN1660.jpg

/members/images/698298/Gallery/_DAN1685.jpg

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Dannirr - I'm booking my flight right now - wow!!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I'll pick you up at the airport YM image

Small prize for anyone who can tell me what the third picture is.

• Options

Dannirr they're incredible pictures - it looks beautiful!

Glad to be back in this thread. So David Falconer. He's a card. What's his marathon PB?

I was thinking about times this morning. I know people who finished around three hours and were gutted not to get sub 3. Other people I know finished around 4:45 and were elated to come in under 5. It's something I love and hate about running races - there will always be someone ahead of you, to make your time look slightly rubbish, but on the other hand there will always be someone behind you, aiming for your time. I dream of a sub 4 marathon. And a sub 50 10k. 

I know someone else said this earlier, but this thread is proper nice. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - Those pictures are stunning.

• Options

Wot Eggy said.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

D - it looks like a dinosaur foot image

KS - he's not done a mara yet.  Bless him.  You share the same race dreams as me by the way

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Don't encourage me YM - might get more pictures!

/members/images/698298/Gallery/P1010074.jpg

/members/images/698298/Gallery/DSCN7037.jpg

/members/images/698298/Gallery/Image_5.jpg

• Options

Dannirr - Stunning pics. Flight will be booked as soon as I get BF's bank card!!!

Agree KS, and in my case it only takes one negative comment, from usually someone that does know how long a marathon is, to destroy any sense of achievement I feel.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

OK, I'l stop now

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

No please don't - they're amazing

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

The famous St. Francis de Asis Church

trawling through google images of new mexico.

my first google 'looks like a lion's paw temple in new mexico'

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

KS - according to the other forum, if you are not going to win the race then there is no point in turning up

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

KS - It took me a while to crack those targets, but it felt amazing to do it when I hit them. Although on reflection my pursuit of a sub 4 marathon with a few failed attempts made me enjoy the experiences less, including running a new marathon PB. Chase those times, but for your own sanity try and remember to enjoy it at the same time.

You know when you run a PB and feel like a complete failure you're doing it wrong! image

• Options

oh wow, hot air balloons! We sometimes have little ones over Norwich on Sundays, but they're usually advertising something...

yer_maj wrote (see)

D - it looks like a dinosaur foot image

KS - he's not done a mara yet.  Bless him.  You share the same race dreams as me by the way

He HASN'T DONE ONE? That's ridiculous. How on earth can he give advice when he hasn't been through the marathon experience? I was so incredibly frustrated on Sunday when I had to have a walk break, but that's because I knew I'd managed to run it in Paris. My rational self was saying "it's hot, you did Paris, you had a cheeky quick couple of miles - you're still going to ruddy do it" but my emotional self was saying "you can't do this, you've let everyone down, all of that training was a waste". You can do everything you can, everything right, but if it doesn't slot in on the day it's not going to go the way you wanted it to. 
    How arrogant of someone to dole out advice based on training plans. If anyone ever asks my advice, especially about running, I'm always really careful to caveat it with 'this works for me', because it's all so personal. Argh.

sub 4 will be mine. September 2014 Yer_maj?

• Options
    James B 73 wrote (see)

KS - according to the other forum, if you are not going to win the race then there is no point in turning up

Yup, what's the point? That does annoy me. Absolutely respect the distance, put in the training. If it goes wrong on the day there's no shame in that, though. 

James B 73 wrote (see)

kaz1 wrote (see)

Dannirr - Stunning pics. Flight will be booked as soon as I get BF's bank card!!!

Agree KS, and in my case it only takes one negative comment, from usually someone that does know how long a marathon is, to destroy any sense of achievement I feel.

It's an awfully fragile state of mind, isn't it?! Mr KS has been a bit annoyed at me this weekend for being blue, but thankfully the people around me are lovely and the only negative comments I've heard are from me. Don't let them take away that achievement, Kaz - we are all winners!

James B 73 wrote (see)

kaz1 wrote (see)

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

KS - It took me a while to crack those targets, but it felt amazing to do it when I hit them. Although on reflection my pursuit of a sub 4 marathon with a few failed attempts made me enjoy the experiences less, including running a new marathon PB. Chase those times, but for your own sanity try and remember to enjoy it at the same time.

You know when you run a PB and feel like a complete failure you're doing it wrong! image

Well done on getting to those targets! I know exactly what you mean though, I need to enjoy it too. I did think that if I'd aimed for 4:35 I would have been over the moon. Two minutes over my target and disappointed. Quite spoiled of me really. Wise words from you, thank you. I'll run my next race looking to enjoy it!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

That's a great t shirt!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannir - is that a real light sabre?image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh and KS - I'm having my first sub 4 shot next spring - I'll have my second in the Autumn of 2014  image

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    When I set out training for Paris I set myself the target of a sub 4 but training went really well and I started Paris thinking I could sneak a sub 3:30. Didn't quite go according to plan having to walk parts but still achieved my sub 4 which I was delighted with. There is no way im letting someone poo poo it because I didn't run the whole way or finish in a time to rival the elites.

He really is an idiot if he is saying this rubbish having never done a marathon.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Dannirr - I'm booking my flight right now - wow!!

Me too. It looks absolutely stunning!

Dannirr wrote (see)

Woman peeling chillis?

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

because I am proud of my achievement I am going to frame my medal with a phot of me at the finish.

Has anyone done this before or could anyone recommend a reputable framer?

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

James - correct!  Made famous by two inconic artists - Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams.  Amazing church just outside Taos.

• Options
    'OO'50 wrote (see)

Hope your strain is nothing too serious Tricky- would be great to see you back in a marathon some time soon.

Dannirr wrote (see)

Is it the one between the 2nd and the 4th pictures Danni? image

Will you post the prize or should I come and collect it in person?

Am wondering whether you are on a retainer from the New Mexico tourist board? You might find real willingness for a whole bunch of people to come stateside as per your invitation, if you do it in advance. Most people are working out their travel plans and budgets for the year, between November and January.  If you set out an event for Autumn 2014 for example (avoiding the Paris time of year), I think you could have a hit on your hands...

Whilst it was good to help our Start to Runners this lunchtime, it's going to play havoc with my fitness to do two super-mega-easy training sessions a week. It's really good to see people having fun and finding benefit though.  They all reported they had completed their running 'homework' over the weekend.

Are there other threads on this forum? I stopped looking a couple of years ago. image

• Options

Thanks OO - would be great to be running marathons again soon. Beginning to feel like an impostor in here.  After all, not running a marathon must certainly be worse than having a little walkie break in the midst of a marathon (which I have done many times myself I might add). 3h12 is my fastest mara including a bit of walkies. Not too shabby is it?!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It's not too shabby no, but you do understand that your bit of walkies now makes you an utter failure as a human being, don't you?

I'm off back to the osteopath tomorrow as my ongoing psoas/hip thing has really flared up over the past week and I have no idea why as I am currenrtly fully resting - the only exercise I have done since Paris has been walking and a bit of allotment digging.  It started to really hurt during Sunday afternoon and has been relentless since image

• Options

What a stunning day...    image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

A trip to New Mexico has huge appeal for me, I have to say.  I might even forgo a ski trip *and* the Amsterdam marathon for that!  Plus it would be around the time that Mr Maj and I will be celebrating 10 blissful years together - he'll be about ready to push me out of a balloon by then image