Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Like the awful woman who commented to a friend of mine that, 'she (my friend) has the face, and Maus (obviously she used my real name!) has the body'. This insults both of us on so many levels and makes me absolutely furious on behalf of my friend. Yet it's the thing I can't forget.

She's an idiot.

And blind.

I second this opinion.

Quite.  You're a beautiful girl - Mr Maj had plenty to say when he saw a pic of you on Sunday.  And you're a darling with it.  Technically, we should hate you  image

Sorry folks. I really wasn't wanting to seek compliments. I don't believe you all, but you're kind to say nice things.

I am, however, really angry on behalf of my friend. If this is what this woman says to her friends, I'd hate to hear what she says about her enemies.

• Options
    Simon Mac3:30 wrote (see)
    Swiss Tony says : 'making love to MM is like making love to a beautiful woman'

Loud, unladylike guffaws of laughter, Simon!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Simon Mac3:30 wrote (see)
    Swiss Tony says : 'making love to MM is like making love to a beautiful woman'

Oh hello, Simon's Perked Up.  As it were.

• Options

YM: I witnessed this event and it was incredibly touching...when we got over worrying that he was a nutter.

• Options
    I'm off for a cold bath so normal service will be resumed shortly.
  • Options

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Looking ahead to Berlin, as there's a few of us running, could the Berlin veterans (Kaz, TD, Eggy et al) have a think about any tips they could share?  I'm thinking along the lines of ATM's Paris notes covering things like:

• transport on the day
    • Expo
    • Bag storage
    • feed stations
    • toilets
    • course
    • support

The practical stuff that it's helpful to know if you've not been there before.

DLR et al - Eggy has pretty much got it down.

I adore Berlin (see RW thread Berlin Marathon 2013!)

I managed the metro better in Paris this year but the transport systems, expo, organisation and start are better. The Germans speak English very well - so much better than when I was first in Berlin in 1998, essentially a remnant of the Communist bloc - you have no real issues if you forget the German for, "Can I have that large pastry, chocolate bun and coffee please?" (as I might...)

Transport - s-Bahn (overland trains), u-Bahn (underground) link up very well, are easy to negotiate. I normally buy a Tageskarte (Day ticket) that does all you need. I stay in Kreuzberg, nowhere near the start but it took me 30 minutes to Friedrichstrasse, no issue on a Sunday, where you can walk 5-10 mins to the bag drop.

Expo - fab. I have arrived late on the Saturday and been through to collect my number in a matter of 10-15minutes. I had more time last year on the Saturday, was offered drugs 3 times as I walked through a nearby park, then chilled out on the runway (now disused) at Tempelhof airport listening to music in the sun.

The expo is better than Paris (even this year's reboot) and there is beer. Non-alcoholic of course! There is a wode range of pastry-type things to load up on etc. and the u-Bahn to Platz Der Luftbrucke is well served. The airport is where the allies kept West Berlin alive during the Communist squeeze in 1948. It was home to the US military for many years post-war and the runway served as the small, central Berlin airport until quite recently, when it was closed to rationalise Berlin airports. Marvellous place to visit, never mind have an expo.

Bag storage - excellent, well organised, no issues. Better than Paris.

Toilets - plentiful around the bag drop. Caught short at start first time, toilets unusable (when I got there 10 mins after official start) but plenty of toilets out on the course, no issues.

Course - fab. I actually think it's better than Eggy describes but I adore Berlin. The first few miles are exhilarating. It is flat. But interesting. The course takes you through a variety of neighbourhoods with their own character. The support is good - like Paris really. I love watching the architecture change from post-war Western design to fairly brutal commie stuff, one block to the next. And of course, the Fernsehturm (TV Tower - Berlin's own Eiffel tower!) is visible in places throughout the course and is amazing.  The last mile is stunning. I imagine it must at least equal The Mall and Central Park.

Feed stations - water in cups, I think. Well-spaced, well organised. I think they have raisins, apples, but can't really remember as I avoid that. Powerbar drink and regular gels stations after half way. Excellent. 

I have not done the Breakfast Run there but will be this year.

I think that's enough.

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

MM - I am a criminal lawyer and with the new proposals I would rather be stacking shelves for Tescos than going to Court for them. But enough about that as my Garmin is back on.

• Options

TP - I've lost the quote but I think your son will be fine. It frankly depends what stage of the illness your son's classmate is in as to whether or not he is infective. Public Health teams across the Continent are very stringent about the rules and TB is a notifiable disease. If he is still at class, he will not be infective.

Your son is up to date with immunisation anyway and hopefully has an intact immune system. I suspect the risk is very small even if he has been exposed to active TB in a classroom.

Iain

• Options
    DLR - yip, what Iain and Eggy said. We stayed close to Freidreichstreisse and were able to walk to the start/finish - about 15 minutes. I found the feeding stations a bit more frenetic than Paris and Amsterdam. As it was my first, maybe I just didn't know what to expect.

Non-Alcoholic beer at the Expo was very good btw.

Wish I was going!
  • Options

Feeding stations in Berlin.........it was my first marathon.......and I missed all stops in the first half........and by the second half I was delirious with the dehydration and heat....image

But I did love it!!! Apart from the banging sore head I had......

Expo was massssive.......Eggy - remember Bobby???.........and yes I too forgot my t-shirt and we had to go back!!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    DLR - of course I've got your special guest appearance, I couldn't miss that could I?

Maus, if you mate has got the face then she must be absolutely stunning.
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned you get given beer at the finish line in Berlin...?
  • Options

Iain, thanks for that.  Apparently the whole class is being screened.  Typical of my son, he is being very vague about the info, but haven't you got a paper about it?????

Simon, love it!

YM - how touching, that's a lovely story.

• Options

But its alcohol free and not gluten free YR!!!

• Options

YM - that is soooo touching you nearly got me boggling.

Maus - I think you should just de-friend her.........you and your friend are worth far more than that. I agree with everything  thats been said here previously.

Naomi's not amused, athletics tonight involved hill intervals.....say no moreimage I had time in Tescos, I think I would have preferred the hill intervals!

• Options

TP - NICE (UK clinical advisory body) guidance for screening TB contacts:

http://pathways.nice.org.uk/pathways/tuberculosis/contact-tracing-and-screening-after-a-person-is-diagnosed-with-active-tuberculosis#content=view-node%3Anodes-a-school-pupil-or-member-of-staff-is-diagnosed-with-tuberculosis

I'm sure he'll be screened as it is protocol (Frnace will be just like the UK I expect). Risk will be low.

PM me if you want any further info.

Iain

• Options

Cheers for that!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Just found this:

Rub the right way

Julia Kirtland's self-massage tips:

Know when to stop If you over-massage an inflamed area, you can make it worse. Focus on a spot for 10-15 minutes maximum.
    Not so fast Ease into it and avoid going too hard. Warm up, in the same way you would pre-run.
    Daily press ‘I’d say a few minutes a day is better than half an hour once a week,’ says Kirtland.
    Handy work Tools can’t sense your muscles relaxing, so stop occasionally and use your hands to see how your body is reacting.

• Options

And todays startling revelation is that I am definately allergic to eggs..........not impressed.image

• Options
    image err...

KS - I ran 9 miles at less than marathon pace last Wednesday and it knocked the stuffing out of me. You ran a whole marathon. Again. image .

And to all those with the glums - there are a lot of jealous people out there, and they all have their own chimps. Probably quite lazy and unfit ones.

Yer_maj - lovely story from Sunday. More lump-in-throat stuff.

On a more prosaic note, for the gluten intolerant visiting London, I've been meaning to mention that the restaurant we went to on Saturday night (Spaghetti House) does gluten-free pasta. There are several of them in London - the one we went to is near Trafalgar Square.

I discovered two encouraging things about the Ethiopian Half today. One is that it starts at 6:30am, when the temperature is between 10 and 15 degrees, and the other is the final finisher last year crossed the line in 3 hours 48. So I might not be last image .
  • Options
    Cross post - the raised eyebrows were directed at YM not you and your eggs Kaz image .
  • Options
  • Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

I discovered two encouraging things about the Ethiopian Half today. One is that it starts at 6:30am, when the temperature is between 10 and 15 degrees, and the other is the final finisher last year crossed the line in 3 hours 48. So I might not be last image .

That'll be fine.  As long as you don't ever walk.  obviously.image

• Options
    Kaz , I have allergy to eggs. I miss them. image
  • Options

So - Brighton marathon 2014 is the week before Paris. Have promised my sister to run Brighton with her - and it'll be her first. I'll have to go down as a Paris supporter next year.  

Ah well, seems like the support this year was as much fun as running the darn thing!

• Options

You'll enjoy it Iain.  It's a different experience, but both Paris and London were hugely enjoyable and occasionally quite emotional, experiences for me.

• Options

This is written about exiled northerners, but exiled Scots may enjoy too:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/samjparker/things-northerners-miss-when-they-move-to-london

• Options

Thanks RR, Glad to see its no just my one thats nuts!

• Options

TJB - I wouldn't mind but things are getting very limited, and my diet is bland enough!! But at least my skin problem will hopefully clear up now!!