Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Ohhhh marathon relay...we could get teams going...

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

TP - You are reading my mind....

image image image

if you do the big one it's for BLESMA, a wonderful charity, I did Paris Mara for them a few years ago

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

DLR, did your grandfathers ever talk about their war service?  Lucky to come back from Suvla Bay in one piece.  My father was a WWII and Palestine veteran, he never spoke about it and I regret not asking him. 

My mother was a "Palestine" veteran too - although she would call it something different - she'd call it the Independance War.  As a 16 year old, she joined the Israeli underground service and was sent to  small Kibbutz just outside Jerusalem. After a few months there, getting training and doing some small raides into Jerusalem, the kibbutz came under attack from the neighbouring Arab property. Of the 15 Aduts there, 12 were slaughtered and their bodies cut up and thrown back at the survivors.  The fledgling Israeli Air Force attempted to drop them supplies, but missed. Without any communication for 2 days,the Israeli Army notified her parents she had died in combat. Out of ammunitiion, the three survivors (my Mom and 2 others) fought back with knives repelling their attackors for a brief time. 

But there were also 8 small children (less than 4 years old) on the Kibbutz still.  That night, each carrying 2-3 children and desperately trying to keep them quiet, they escaped the kibbutz and hiked through the forest for several hours to another safe house. Several days later, she was allowed to go home for a visit - they still thought she was dead.

My mother never spoke of these events. Ever. About 20 years ago the Government awarded her a special medal - she never told us why even though she travelled back to Israel to get it. Three years ago MrsD and I took our boys to Israel for a visit, and she met us there from South Africa (we still have lots of family there). My  uncle (her brother) took us "for a drive" - we ended up at the kibbutz but did not know why, although I could tell my Mom was a little tense. While there, again at my uncles arrangement, a man came up to meet us - he was one of the children my mother had carried out of there that night. He sat us down and told us my mother's story, and gave us a copy of the book he had written and just published. 

As you can imagine, this was a very emotional moment for my Mother, and for him. For us, it was a complee shock and also emotional (and still is).  SHe speaks a little more of it now, although only with much coaxing. 

• Options

Dannirr, thank you for sharing such an incredible story with us.  Our parents' generation lived through much suffering, some more than others, and then just carried on with the rest of their lives.

I've been attending a series of lectures about the Spanish Civil War and several times the children of survivors have spoken.  Those that crossed over the border into France were held in insufferable conditions in the camps, some then being transported to Germany and the concentration camps.  I had no idea of all this until a few weeks ago.

• Options

Wow, great stories!

TP -- My grandfather died before I was born, so I never got a chance to ask him, but I have several other relatives who were in WW2 and I can't recall ever hearing any of them talk about it.  They just did what needed to be done and then got on with their lives.  I regret not asking.

• Options

Weedy, thanks for adding me to the list.  I will also be running the Bluegrass 10k in beautiful downtown Lexingon, KY on July 4

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Dannirr - wow, what an incredible, emotional story. I'm genuinely blown away. Very moving. You must be so proud.

I have been working like a dog recently and only posting occasionally on the 26.2 thread (where I first entered the forums). However, I have been reading back here every so often but it is a real struggle to keep up. This must be one of the most active threads on the whole site! image

Sounds like everyone is doing amazingly well post Paris. Hi to the new guys. I can totally vouch for what's been said before, this thread is just brilliant with so many helpful and interesting people. 

Well done Orbutt and Emmy. What's your marathon count at now Emmy?

I'm just getting back into proper running again after a rest post Spring marathon. TR24 is not far away and I want to try and do 8 10K laps so I better get a move on. Last year I did 6 and my body nearly gave up on me. It's fair to say I am no DV! image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Malcs wrote (see)

What's your marathon count at now Emmy?

Luxembourg was #18. Next is "Nacht van vlaanderen" on 21st June image... and it's another night marathonimage

I hope that everything else is going ok?

• Options

These are humbling stories of our preceeding generations. I've often thought that Baby Boomers onwards were spoilt and bereft of a sense of purpose, honour and sacrifice. The idea of lives that revolve around me, me, me is quite ugly in my opinion. The modern day burden of self-definition by what we consume is to me both vacuous and unsustainable, both in terms of environment and culture.

I knew my grandparent's lives were ravaged by the war (maternal grandmother fleeing Nazis in Belgium, maternal grandfather became an alcoholic soldier), I know much less about my paternal grandparents but I remember the limp from the shrapnel wounds and the gnarled hands.

Did anyone else watch Dan Snow on UK BBC2 TV last night, talking about the planning and preparations for D-Day? A splendid programme, final part on tonight. Such dedication and ingenuity. What people can do with focus on a common problem...?!

I had at it for a brief while in a hotel gym yesterday, my only running over the weekend. 8kms in 33mins. Soaked with sweat, way too hot. Could hardly breathe. Peaked my HR at 98% before quitting.

Well done Orbutt (and TP I think) on nhew PBs over the weekend and you too Emmy for clocking up some monster mileage. How many kms this year so far?  When I look at my running log, I see that I covered the amount of kms I have reached today, by 24 Feb last year and 23 Feb the year before. On the bright side, new running shoes feel fabulous.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannirr - stunning story.

Weedy - I don't think PF will be doing Paris, she's concentrating on shorter distances.

Ive got the English Half in Warrington on September 9th. Unfinished business with that one.

TP - don't go tempting Emmy, you know what she's likeimage

Malcs - good luck with the 24 hr (but you must be bonkersimage )

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Emmy - wow, 18 and counting! You're certainly stacking them up now. You'll be in triple figures in no time. 

All else is well here thanks image

TD - I only caught a bit of the Dan Snow prog but what I did see was brilliant. Will need to get on iPlayer.

What shoes did you get? I noticed they are Saucony which is the same brand I'm on. 

Orbutt - many thanks image  The ones who are really bonkers do it solo. I'm in a team so I get rests between laps - ultra running for cowards really image  Proper ultra peeps like Emmy and DV do it in one stint.

• Options

Progrid Guide 4s I believe Malcs. Stability Cushioning model I believe.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I love my Guides image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

TP - don't go tempting Emmy, you know what she's likeimage

I did look to see if I could fit it in this weekend but i'm in Cologne...

Malcs wrote (see)

Emmy - wow, 18 and counting! You're certainly stacking them up now. You'll be in triple figures in no time. 

Orbutt - many thanks image  The ones who are really bonkers do it solo. I'm in a team so I get rests between laps - ultra running for cowards really image  Proper ultra peeps like Emmy and DV do it in one stint.

I'm not as crazy as DVimage I can't do anything through the night... but after the good marathon as the weekend - i'm certainly interested but I want to get more daytime ultras in the bag.... saying that - i was sure a few months ago that I said: I'm never running another ultra in my life.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Another? What one have you done? 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I did the London 50km in February image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I've not heard of the Guides before. I used to use the Progrid Omni but I've been using Mirage 2's this year and they have been great.

I started in Omnis then switched to neutral Asics Nimbus after a gait analysis. After a year I got some gradual achilles pain - switched to the Mirage just to see if it would help to have some support and would you believe it...it did!

Emmy - true, you would have to go some to beat DV in the crazyness rankings. However, you have to admit that you are at least moderately nutsimage

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Bupa London 10k anybody?

Come on peeps! It will sell out

http://www.london10000.co.uk/

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I need some European help!

Can someone look at this for me and tell me:

1.) Can men run it?

2.) Distance of the race?

Thanks

http://www.frauenlauf.net/bin/fl_default/index.php

• Options

I passed my first two exams!! 

And I have instructed two x 1 hour PT sessions today! A lot to do yet, but feeling a lot more positive than on Saturday.

• Options

Hey Dan,

The distance is 5 or 10km. All the references to participants are in the feminine form only and the registration form talks about "ages 2001 and over only women". I'm guessing it's a women's only event. Happy to be corrected by the more fluent German speakers, though.

I'm sure if you borrowed DLR's tutu, you'd have no troubles passing for a foxy chick!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Great job Kaz!

Thanks Maus - I have a free day in Salzburg and was hoping for a race

• Options

Well done Kaz  image image image

• Options

Well done Kaz - you deserve a PT medal, except it would probably be in the shape of a kettle bell and be pretty uncomfortable to wear.

• Options

Kaz image. You show those gym bunnies.

Dannirr - what MM said. I can't see anything that specifically says 'women only' but the general tone is that a it's all about women running. There is a 'Mannlauf' in October, if you're coming back image.

2 days of agonising about 2013/4 strategy about to commence. Wish me luck image.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Kaz - I don't think anyone here doubted that you'd pass. image

RR - can we help?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Dannirr - completely agree with others. It's just for women. If you're around in October - Munich marathon is on around that time I think and it's pretty close to Salzburg.

Kaz - Well done!! image

• Options

Thanx everyone! 

Next lot of exams are on Friday morning. One more written paper to hand in( I have done all the restimage) and  practical assessments to go.  

Full day of activity ahead..... And there was nothing for breakfast this morning image