Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Emmy - things you never thought you'd be interested to know = Marathon mankini etiquette.

• I'd hoped this thread would be informative, but wow!...clenching techniques, mankini regulations,  andget to the weight machines BEFORE Emmy! 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

LWA - and this is a tame week.  Just wait until Paris training starts and then taper madness hits.

I just don't know what to do.  I've found out that yer_maj has been posting on another forum: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/shrewsbury-marathon/242331-4.html Should we tell them to look out for stools?

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I have a question that I could do with some advice on. My second eldest son, who is 10, goes to athletics and loves it. He has just got his first pair of spikes and is delighted to use them at meets and competitions but two weeks ago he injured his foot during long jump and has had to rest it. He is supposed to go to athletics today but after saying yesterday that his foot was better, he is now saying that his knee hurts and that he can't possibly go. He also doesn't want to go to the next meet/competition because he feels he has lost form (I don't pace or push him in any way - so having or losing form has never been a subject we have discussed - he should be going to athletics for fun).

This is getting long-winded. The long and the short is - should I push him to go today because I have a feeling he is swinging the lead or should I let him take another day off?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

SP - has someone said something to him? another kid? about losing form or hassled him about being off for two weeks?  or are you pretty sure it's cba (that we all have even years later)?  Way to get around his excuse...a gentle jog around the track will help sort out if it's a niggle because he hasn't run in a while or something new.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

SP - our approach was always "you made a commitment to the team, so off you go. If you cannot run/play that's fine, but you go and support and help in other ways". 

RR - I bring up the hotel thing as many are already full. Pietermaritzburg hotels within about 3 miles of the start are full.  I have a "contact" who moght be able to help - so let me know when you decide what you want to do - I plan to stay in Pietermartizburg the night before the race rather than take the 2am bus from Durban.

• Tough one SP. Maybe you could ask him how he intends to recover his form and whether there are any benefits to training or competing, even when you may not be on 'top form'? Generally helping them to find out what motivates and demotivates them is better than proving external motivation (which will not be effective over time).

What makes them want to compete and kick-ass? How good is the feeling? What do they need to do to create the condition for when they can get that feeling? Questions to help you boy realise that it is a long slog to be top of the game and you have to work through injuries and points in the training cycle where you are not the top dog.

Which leads me on to my lunchtime race experience. A 5.3k race with colleagues in the parc. Stayed neck and neck with the leader all the way round, We took turns to lead, each one probing the other (please, keep a straight face) with injections of pace to see how well the other could respond. Neither of us could break away from the other.

So with 300m to the finish line I put in a sudden acceleration and just sprinted as hard as I could. So I reckon that lasted for 100m but it was utterly unsustainable - I didn't break Johan. I had to slow and he came past me. I was broken. He beat me by 12seconds in the end. As he came past he laughed and said "Too early!"

OK, now I am wiser. I shall work on getting fitter too. Just as soon as there are 26 hours a day, I'll be able to do it all. Or maybe when ITLR is just a magnificent set of memories.... then I'll have time to become a winning athlete again.

How was that Fireman_Aaron? Something about running to roll back the tide of smut. As you were everyone.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice. I used some flex time and left work early to have a good chat. We had a long talk about whether something had upset him or whether something else was the matter. I then said that he had to have a go at training ( we also believe that you should go to training almost no matter what - follow things through and all that). I went along with him and trained with him for as long as he could manage and then we watched the others. I really feel it helped. So thanks for listening to my worries. 

• Dannirr wrote (see)

...and my curry decided it had been with me long enough. 

The funniest expression I've seen for some time. image

yer_maj wrote (see)

I'd rather a spot of self flagellation than DLR in his mankini quite frankly....image

Images of me in a mankini and self abuse often go hand in hand.

Or is it just me?

• Heading for Brussels with my precious cargo of ITLR t-shirts. And my running gear. Must remember to do some work stuff too.

Dannir - I was under the impression that hardly anyone stayed in PM for the night before the race, and almost everyone got the dreaded bus, because there was virtually no accommodation. Also, you have to get up at the crack of dawn anyway. If you know of options though, I might be interested in investigating. Could you email me?

I've definitely seen people running marathons in mankinis, the vision is seared on my memory. I agree it should be illegal.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Being a parent is ...err..a constant challenge, SR...to  say theimage least.I m eternally grateful for the US ¡ expression..It s not all about YOU... Or, in Scotteez..Put a face on it! 

• Lawyeraaron wrote (see)

I'd hoped this thread would be informative, but wow!...clenching techniques, mankini regulations,  andget to the weight machines BEFORE Emmy! 

And you haven't seen the Bristol Stool Chart yet...

Radar Sal wrote (see)

I just don't know what to do.  I've found out that yer_maj has been posting on another forum: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/shrewsbury-marathon/242331-4.html Should we tell them to look out for stools?

There's other forums on here? image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I wasn't playing away. I was discussing Uganda. 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Uganda is a very important topic. 

• Depends where Uganda. Uganda at my backside again and there'll be trouble.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Uganda crossed with my new favourite word, Sidefumble, makes for trouble....

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

The engine: but ugandering is all we have and wearing that much lycra (as triathletes do), really? You know you want a gander.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I can't help you with Sidefumble ( except to venture to suggest that if I hadn't found out about the first Mr Maj's first sidefumble at 10.00 am the day after he deigned to marry me then maybe my life would have been different) but if all you young babies google "discussions of a Ugandan Nature" you will be educated...

• Wow, Paris thread meets Private Eye of the late 1970s... "Ugandan discussions"

Anyone else done any running of late? image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh good, another man of A Certain Age. Running? Don't be daft...I've never been so woefully ill prepared for a Half in my puff....

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Just returned from a one night only showing of Spirit of the Marathon II.  Excellent film, just as the original was too.  Makes me want to go out and runa marathon today image

• Just signed up for a running challenge with some local expat runners, complete 200k in the month.  50k for me so far this month, need to keep it up.  Fnar fnar ...

What the heck is a sidefumble?  You can PM me the answer on the darkside  image

• Holy moly.....I can't even begin to decipher side fumbles and everything else.......my brain is dead, and body isn't much better.

I managed to drag myself oot o bed at KOC for a little 40 min jog, which after days and days of continuous exercise i'm going to say is a win! 

Now can someone please hold my eyelids up???? Its going to be a long day! image

• Have you finished your exams yet Kaz?

Just finished a tough 5 miler before breakfast, with some enforced buttock clenching for the last mile. It was a sprint finish....

• No Simon. Mmmm still awaitin results of all written papers, and got 2 exam papers tomorrow, plus 3 hours of practical assessments and then a business presentation/assessment on Saturday......image relying totally on mental strength now to pull me throu! Chimps had a good beating and positive self talk is the norm now!image

• kaz1 wrote (see)

Now can someone please hold my eyelids up???? Its going to be a long day! image

Not so much that you need matchsticks as reinforced concrete pillars?

• Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

Just finished a tough 5 miler before breakfast, with some enforced buttock clenching for the last mile. It was a sprint finish....

Being chased by Eric Page?

• For the Europeans..   what is the weather generally like at the moment over there on the mainland..?