Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• I've worn the 2XU ones RR. The reflective stuff falls off after a wee while and they look a bit tatty, but they are tight enough.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RR - I looked into calf guards and the 2XUs, as modelled by Tricky, were rated the best for fit and graduated compression. They have a greater variety of sizings, and you measure your calf to select the appropriate size. One criticism is that they are not as long as other models so they leave a bit more of a gap between shoe and calf guard than others.

Bridge Run done - gave the Paris shirt an airing - and it was gorgeous. Yesterday was foggy and windy when we went across on a tour bus but today was lovely. Loads of bike lines and suicidal tourists but we escaped unscathed. 25k round trip at a slow tourist stop/start pace but lovely all the same.

Tomorrow Alcatraz image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Orbutt - Do a ranger tour, as well as the audio!!!  They're only at certain times (so check when you go to by tickets) but sooo much fun!  you get a guide in a 'very serious' uniform and possibly to go where other tourists don't.  Mine started slow, but then he bought out the keys and we saw some amazing stuff.

Bike ride and run sounds brilliant!  Did you come back on a ferry?  There's some loverly little towns across the harbour.

• Yer_maj - I couldn't sleep for worrying - did you make it through the night?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

RR - I wear Compressport and I *LOVE* them. They are fantastic.

• I've just been checking out the Compressport site and they do them in bright orange - would go nicely with the ITLR shirts!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - After I had a calf injury a couple of years ago I bought some calf guards from Red Venom, which were great. Red Venom.

Hope yer_maj survived the night!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

I've just been checking out the Compressport site and they do them in bright orange - would go nicely with the ITLR shirts!

I have bright pink ones image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, all.  It's going to be a great weekend  http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/events/NRRC/Courses/Pages/Courses.aspx

The Championship course is, basically, all through Glasgow city centre in laps from Glasgow Green to the West End and back. I'm going to watch .  I've used up all my husband-points, on the Marseille fiasco, so I might be supporting , solo.image  It'll be a spectacle.The Toor de Caledonia...

• ATM - sounds good. Enjoy!

YM - hope you survived!!

weedy- yes good, just a consultation and she's back today for weights, measures and hopefully a workout but it will all depend on time. She's wanting to lose 3.5 stones so hopefully she'll stick with me for a while! 

Been very bsy since getting back, and today will be no diffferent! End of term stuff happening eith both children, work, trying to sort stuff oot, cutting the wilderness that was supposednto be my garden- obviously no-one else can work the mower and strimmer!!! Had to do the whole thing twice on different settings...... 4 hours I could of spent else where!! 

Now my heart is breaking, yesterday my dog bit someone for the first time ever. Its so out of character, and now I don't know what will happen. Person concerned went to the doc to get checked out and see about their tetnus. Do they notify authorities????imageimageimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Now my heart is breaking, yesterday my dog bit someone for the first time ever. Its so out of character, and now I don't know what will happen. Person concerned went to the doc to get checked out and see about their tetnus. Do they notify authorities????imageimageimage

Kaz - what was the reason for it? Did the person 'come' up on your dog? What was the story before/after? Was it a 'real' bite or a warning nip? Knowing the size of yours - a real bite would have needed hospital attention?

The reason I ask is because we had the same with our GSD. He would never really bite you just nip if you were getting too close or aggressively approaching him (he was an ex army rescue).

Normally - if the person reports it to the police - they may come round or they may just keep it on record and 'warn' you to restrain your dog or put a muzzle on him when he's out and about. As it's his 'first' time and he's not a dangerous breed if i remember - they may just record it.

((Hug))

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

ATM - you've used up all your points but are still going. Nice.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Kaz - oh that's awful. I second what emmy said about what happened before he nipped. He's not a dangerous breed, has no history and sounds like a warning nip.  Write up your version of events while it's fresh in yourhead.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Agree with RS about writing up what happened... it's an after thought now but i took a picture of the nip so we had a reference of what it looked like.

We were warned that a few people try to make the injury worse (if you can believe that) when going to the police. It's just a precaution

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Awesome run I,Orbot. You lucky bxxtard! image

Kaz, hope it all goes ok and there's no backlash from fido.

YM - hope you shake that cold soon .... i need you firing on all cylinders this weekend (even if there is residual snot)

RR - calfs - i've had plenty ag in the last year with them. First i recommend get the strain to go away by way of regular icing, a couple of short gentle massages a day (and rest) - then once it's better the obvious ones - the pre- and post run hamstring, calf and achilles stretches, whatever you do - do it again (so double up). And i swear by this, once an hour on your long run, stop for 20/30 seconds (and give calfs and quads a quick hard stretch. Other things worth doing are exercises to strengthen them - cycling springs to mind (although i don't do that) what i do is stand up straight and then do reps of lifting onto your tip-toes (preferably with some resistance like dumbells or something) - one more thing, did i mention hamstring stretches? ok do them on your days off as well - when i had achilles strain a few years back i can remember by sports physio lecturing me about doing the hamstring stretches regularly and it will help the achilles

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

Yer_maj - I couldn't sleep for worrying - did you make it through the night?

Glad I kept you up all night...for all the wrong reasons image

I feel bloody awful.  On current form there is no way I will be ruinning on Sunday, but that's 3 days away and will no doubt be a lot better by then.  I hope...

On the bright side, I have a visit from DLR to "look forward to" later.  I shall take him to The Conway then try and burn off this lurgy with a curry.

Kaz....sorry to hear.  I'm sure you're worried, hope it gets sorted asap

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

Yer_maj - I couldn't sleep for worrying - did you make it through the night?

Glad I kept you up all night...for all the wrong reasons image

I feel bloody awful.  On current form there is no way I will be ruinning on Sunday, but that's 3 days away and will no doubt be a lot better by then.  I hope...

On the bright side, I have a visit from DLR to "look forward to" later.  I shall take him to The Conway then try and burn off this lurgy with a curry.

Kaz....sorry to hear.  I'm sure you're worried, hope it gets sorted asap

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i hope you get through it darlin - i need your banter! hopefully you will be able to make it and just take it really easy - keep some of the first timers company and give them encouragement

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'll still be there, don't you worry.  My new flagpole just got delivered.  DLR is not allowed to touch this one....

• Running Rodent wrote (see)

I've just been checking out the Compressport site and they do them in bright orange - would go nicely with the ITLR shirts!

Loving my purple ones.

Has The Conway been warned?  Mind you, they are probably used to YM and guests!

•  

I wasnt actually therebwhen it happened, he was outsiide bank with Naomi. Never normally a problem. Anyway wee girl came up and stroked him then he 'bit' her?? Spoke to her mother last night who said skin was broken etc, and girls jumper torn.

a work colleague told me today that she had saw it, and that he looked like he just wanted to tell the girl to f**** off!!! He wasn't aggresive as such, but since i wasnt actually there....image

Fallen over two times today. WTF. Not nice with a big post bag.image

• forgot i phoned the vet this morning about a muzzle, and they want me to take him in tonight for a check over incase there is something bothering him since its so out of character.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - good idea to get him checked out. To be honest - it does sound like a warning nip if her skin was a little broken and a torn jumper. Perhaps offer to replace the jumper and then see what the mother says?

• Hi all.

Just got ITLR t-shirts from Post Office yesterday. They are fab. 

Emmy - you rock, girl. Thanks for organisin and getting them made. 

RS - you rock too; thanks for sending them out!

Now for all that running...!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

You're welcome Iain! Don't forget to post a picture of yourself (there is a mandatory alcohol required ;0).

• Kaz - sounds worrying for you. a lot depends on how the girl aproached him. She might have gone racing towards him with her arms out in front of her - he maybe thought he was about to be attacked. If you're taking him to the vet, it'll show the authorities, you're being a responsible owner, in case it goes further. Hope it doesn't tho. Falling over doesn't sound good either, you coming down with anything?

Yer Maj - three days is an age.

Orbutt - glad to hear the weather cleared, have fun on Alcatraz. Think there's a triathlon that starts with a swim from the island to the mainland. Hadn't heard about Angel Island before ATM, thanks for the website link.

• Weedy, there is indeed a triathlon on Alcatraz.  A FB friend of mine came first in her age group this year.  It's hardcore!

http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/event_info.htm

• TJB - I'm exhausted just reading all that image. Sadly I'm no stranger to calf issues, so I'm doing the stuff - I'm getting odd looks in the office for doing my stretches whilst waiting for the lifts. The calf guards are just for reassurance really. Compressport ones ordered, in white, because they looked more ultra-runnery image.

I don't want to worry anyone (YM you may want to look away now if you're still feeling fragile), but I saw this very alarming story today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/10130525/Juniper-tree-disease-threatens-GandT.html

• One of my mates did the Escape from Alcatraz traiathlon a couple of years ago....Amazing he said!

Update on dog - Went to vet, and they couldn't find anything physically wrong but did notice that he is far more nervous than normal -he was literally shaking??. Diagnosis is that he has been traumatised by something and  hopefully time will settle it. until  then muzzle when out just to be safe?!image

Second meeting with client went well today. Weight etc done and exercise class done. 3rd appointment on Saturday!! She is regularly txting for advice on food choices etc so all seems good so far!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Crickey Kaz - that's a worry. Do the girls know anything that happened whilst you were away.

I know that some of us might not be online today....so I'll say it now:

Good luck to Weedy for the Hadrian Wall Ultra this weekend! You're a fricking loon! image