Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

NotLA - Mrs O and I went to see the Giants when we were in SF recently, they got beaten then too. We are adopted Rockies fans, due to family living in Denver, so we weren't bothered.

RR - good for you image

KS - happy wotsits.

RS - safe journeys babe. Which bit of Candarandaland are you hitting?

• RS - have a great time. I'm indescribably jealous at anyone who gets to go to Canada.

Aaron - a no-hitter when a pitcher gets the whole team out in an innings without anyone hitting the ball or without hitting a ball that's not classed as out?

HS - you'll be okay. A few days isn't going to make any difference.

Suze - sounds like a great time. Glastonbury, I mean, not the weeding the garden.

RR - yay

So, I'm doing a marathon tomorrow. Or possibly not. I'm not sure. I offered to marshal at a little event (Hamsterley Forest Iain if you fancy a drive out), but the organiser said he thinks he might have enough people who'll turn up to help. If he does, I'm running. If he doesn't, I'm marshalling. I'll turn up in running kit and get a decision about an hour before the race starts image Tune in this time tomorrow to find out how the story ends...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

D'you want my axe?

• Apologies for my absence but I have been watching tennis and stuff...

So,

Good luck; Well Done; Wow; You did WHAT?; Get well soon; Sober up woman!; Bon Voyage! ; How hot?.     (Delete as applicable)

'Careful with that axe Yer Maj'  (Pink Floyd reference for those old enough to remember....)

• Loved the axe photo, can't wait for my bcrc to arrive home (thanks RS &RR!) so I can send you all a photo! Have been doing a few gentle runs lately, inc some sensational sunny lunchtime runs alongside the river. Blue skies, mid-teens, did someone say winter in Melb??

Emmy, there's two cracking maras I've heard about, one in Aug, one in Oct, easy to get to, just a little flight with a stop over and the hospitality is second to none. What you think??

Hope everyone that's ill feels better soon, I keep telling myself that quality rest means getting back to it sooner, so don't push it.

Can't wait to watch/hear all about itlr, seems to have come around so quickly!!

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

RS - have a great time. I'm indescribably jealous at anyone who gets to go to Canada.

Aaron - a no-hitter when a pitcher gets the whole team out in an innings without anyone hitting the ball or without hitting a ball that's not classed as out?

HS - you'll be okay. A few days isn't going to make any difference.

Suze - sounds like a great time. Glastonbury, I mean, not the weeding the garden.

RR - yay

So, I'm doing a marathon tomorrow. Or possibly not. I'm not sure. I offered to marshal at a little event (Hamsterley Forest Iain if you fancy a drive out), but the organiser said he thinks he might have enough people who'll turn up to help. If he does, I'm running. If he doesn't, I'm marshalling. I'll turn up in running kit and get a decision about an hour before the race starts image Tune in this time tomorrow to find out how the story ends...

Weedy - good luck, you're mad for it these days! I will be ensconced at Sunderland Royal and won't be able to join you I fear - enjoy!

Simon - I'm old enough to ge that one, a marvellous song.

C'mon The Lions! (Or even, Wales.)

• I just love the fact that there are people onhere who can crank out a casual marathon on a day's notice image. Good luck to everyone racing today, especially Ms Jimbob jnr in her very first race.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Gooooooooo Alice!! 

17 very hot kms for me this morning, although I was out just after 7 so not too bad until around 12k.  Soleus feeling very didgy though, I had to stop and stretch it every few kms.  Just in time to start HM training on Monday...image

Cymru Am Byth!  We're currently thrashing them although this will clearly be the kiss of death....

• ...so the story ends with me marshalling image Although it was a three-lapper, so once everyone had come round the first lap I switched to being the sweeper and managed an 18-mile LSR image, the last couple of hours chatting away with the back marker. Very hot and hilly image. As we came in to the finish I said I'd hum the Rocky theme tune for her but I forgot how it went (sorry Jimbob image) so I had to improvise and all I could think of was the theme from Black Beauty, so hummed that for her instead image

• Did she gallop across the finish line Weedy?

• Hehe. Sprint finish definitely. Six hours 40ish, which was amazing going considering she did Edinburgh in six hours and that's as flat as a Scotch pancake and wasn't nearly as hot as today.

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Weedy - good luck, you're mad for it these days!

It's the wife's fault - she's a bad influence image

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

really proud of the Speedy Cherubs today - according to Chez, Alice was struggling and moaning quite a fair bit out on course - and she said "never again" but then she added "till i'm bigger"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1548_10151443972975882_516040025_n.jpg

Really grateful for the response from your lovely threaders sponsoring Alice. THANK YOU.

Planning something fairly chunky tomorrow run wise - but i'm going early thats for sure.

FFS just caught the EmmyandWeedyitus bug and signed up for Valencia Marathon Nov17th - done deal! Anyone care to join me? image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

TJB - you must be really proud of Alice's achievement. Well done her. It was very warm out there today and I passed loads of people heading up to the start / finish area when I was on taxi duty taking the little fella to footie.

I have been suffering from an ankle / achilles issue for a few weeks and have not run much since the Bupa 10k.

I am hoping to make a gentle start tomorrow and test the ankle with a few miles.

I have entered the Dublin marathon on October 28th and that will be enough from me for this year.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Back in Atlanta - and my first run in my new BCRC shirt image   I think this must be the shirt furthest from base?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Morning, all. I m off to a 5 k in the Bois de Vincennes...downgraded from the 10 because it s boiling...and I m lazy imageIt s through the woods on paths but I m sure it will bring back memories of April.

Good luck Atm, enjoy

• Good luck ATM and any others racing out there today - keep it hydrated folks.

Dannirr - it probably is at the moment, but not for long - I handed one over to Jus T's mum yesterday for transportation Down Under. image

• Good luck out there today guys.

TJB - Alice is amazing!

I did 12 miles this morning, but it was bloody hard going windy and hilly route. I felt awful throughout but nothing that I could say is wrong? Anyway got home and averaged 9mm miles so not that bad. Really dizzy afterward so maybe just needed food??image

• Well done Alice, we're all really proud of you image

Carl - hope you get sorted.

Kaz - doesn't sound good. Maybe lack of water combined with the heat. Maybe a virus?

Danni - glad you're back safe.

ATM - have a good one.

• KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Well done to Alice, TJB!

Kaz1 - that's exactly what's happening to me atm when I go for runs - dizzy and spaced and generally feel terrible, despite taking lots of water and I'm going sloooooowly as well. I think it's the heat! Hopefully a few more runs in the warm and we'll be  well used to it. 

I wore my BCRC vest at parkrun yesterday, it felt great! I did feel ever so slightly traitrorous towards my Other Club, but sometimes you don't want to put all of your eggs in one basket, right? parkrun itself felt awful, but I did latch onto a couple of friends who kindly helped me round in a worst-time-I've-had-for-a-while-whilst-trying-time, but oh well - I managed to run the whole thing... 

Debating later run today - got breakfast with friends this morning, a street fayre around Norwich after that and then hot footing it home for The Tennis, when I might go for a run before we go to watch a gig by a friend.
    Or I might sit in the garden and read 'It'. Suggestions, dear hearts?

Well done Kaz for the mileage this morning - i bet you were out well early!

Well done yesterday Weed on the casual 19 miles afternoon jog in the heat!

Carl, hope you can nurse that ankle better and you manage a couple of miles today, build it up gradually. I probably walked passed your house yesterday mate! (with kids in tow) - we nipped to M&S in South end Green and ducked down your Road before walking back onto the heath and making for our car which we had left over the parliament hill side.

I just had 14 lethargic yet useful miles around the area - back onto the heath a couple of times. It was/is so friggin sweaty (I Love It)

• Suze - Sunny days were designed to be spent with friends I'd say.

The Jimbob wrote (see)

FFS just caught the EmmyandWeedyitus bug and signed up for Valencia Marathon Nov17th - done deal! Anyone care to join me? image

There's no known cure I'm afraid Jimbob.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'm so glad I dropped from the 10 to the 5k, this morning. * No sniggering, please* It is boiling here. 'Had to walk several times and it's the first time I 've had pins and needles from the off. Anyone had this ? I was well-hydrated but tired.

image Medals only for the 10K-ers but they really deserved them. Happy with 29 mins, all things considered.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Sounds like a sensible decision for a Scot used to arctic conditions.

I'm off to the allotment....I may fry....

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

yer-maj, I'm going to bore you to death ,later, with an account of the spectacular allotment I got a tour of, here. I m not interested in gardening but this was something else. The chap had developed it from nothing in three years but he did say it was hard work, all day everyday, over that period and was his absolute passion. He was right into bio-diversity...and no chemicals... and there were loads of lovely wee bugs around..And the tour of the school of gardening was fantastic. You would ve loved this guided tour of the ancient peach_farming walls just outside the city. So, dig in! 

I got a nice surprise at the end of the race when I heard a pipe band... Not wanting to embarass me,they cleverly pretended just to be practising for a competition... But I know it was to celebrate my survival over 15 degrees... Up myself? Moi?image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oooooh I want a *full and frank* report.  If I survive this searing heat, obv...

• Yes TJB - Out at 5am! It wasn't hot then but sunny and windy! Fine enough temp wise! I do think Its a fuelling issue although I am eating! image

Well done ATM! image

It is now 18 degrees so my first class today could be interesting! Circuit training in hot temps!image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yer-maj, you just HAVE to crowbar your way into this man s garden...* I ll help. We ll offer him...errr...well,  we ll talk about thst. * image

• I did 33.2k this morning.  Really tough.  Found the heat difficult from about 10k and, ahving forgotten any gels/shotbloks I hit the wall at about 29k - pace dropped to a shuffle, uncoordinated, having to stop every 1.5k.  Really not nice.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I-waz-there, at 4k, DLR. Well done on making it to 33! *Yer_M. We 'll offer him DLR.It could work....°