Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Weedy...  that is a great bunch of memories!

As it's Weedy, shouldn't that be a great 'brunch' of memories ?

Good news PF, Kaz and MM & TD

Great reports RR and Weedy.

DV - Why make life easy !  As if the distances you run arent hard enough, you are now dragging a tyre behind you !  Would a rucksack have the same effect ?  Are you taking your tyre to Paris next year ?  Serious, you have previously told us why you went from racing (PB hunting) to running (enjoyment/distance).  Do you think you are genetically gifted as a runner or is it years of training ?  Do people study you to understand what makes you tick ?  For us mortels you are exceptional however perhaps from your viewpoint, as you mix with other Ultras, you see yourself as normal.  You can be modest but I would love to know what makes you special.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

PC - It's the force.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

PC - It's the force.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Anyway, am conserving my energy for the arrival of Maus. Today is the day we get the keys to our new apartment and start Life 2.0 together.

Wishing you both all of the best. If you need help with boxes/stuff like that - give me a call and i'll nominate Mr. Emmy to help image

Thanks Emmy! That's very kind of you. Though, one actually needs to have things to put in boxes....

I have some old cd's of bad mix tapes if you want?image

yer_maj wrote (see)

Nah.  What else could you possibly need apart from a kettle?

Agreed. Except perhaps teabags?

Radar Sal wrote (see)

weedy - you left out the toilet facilities (aka Weedy the bear of europe).image

Kaz - yeah, so many extra people would be a nightmare!  At least your dog isn't on a mission to impregnate your leg like Emmys image

Toilet facilities were fantastic and 4*. I worked out that i peed more in nature than in an actual toilet during ITLR.

My dog doesnt just go for my leg... also my arm/anything he can grip onto.

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Weedy and RR - great notes and memories of ITLR.

ITLR - Since getting home Tuesday evening I have been processing the trip. It was very difficult - and at some point (probably on the first Monday) became simply about survival for me. The only way we were able to do it - simply to survive - was by being together. My fellow threaders showed themselves to be exemplary people in their abilities to do so - to go above and beyond the call of duty, with humour still intact, despite illness and ardour.

Again, all this was put into perspective with the sobering and encouraging visit to the squat in St Josse on Monday at the end of the run. The people there - the biggest squat in Europe - were positive, even joyful, and the kids were incredible. I hope the money raised will be of great help giving them a start in a new life. And that's what matters.

Your support (on this thread and the facebook) meant a lot. The news about James on Sunday cast a real pallor over proceedings - such great news to hear yesterday he is doing better.

TD, RR, Weedy, HS, Emmy, Rob, Suzy - many thanks for your company, skills and friendship. I was privileged to be a part of your team.

Iain

Agree with this. I can think of so many things to say and so many personal highlights for me that involve you guys.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Thanks for those run reports...*I will have to take the old ' Mind Wipe' to some parts of them. * It certainly sounds like quite an experience. Any idea of the total sum you raised or it that hard to quantify?

• Spoke to my colleague who did the Ironman in Roth the other weekend. Apparently two of her friends ended up on a drip and her boyfriend went blind for two days after a bad reaction to anti-fog spray in his goggles image. But looking on the bright side, she knocked 25 minutes off her PB...

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

FAAAAAAAAARRRKKK!  Hardcore RR...but...yay on PB image

• PC91..   I can 100% assure you that there is nothing remotely special about me...! 

So..  I did an hour tonight...   30 mins with the tyre on grass and 30 mins without it on trails...   I am totally knackered now...   that was one of the hardest sessions I can remember...  it is warm and humid and my legs were burning pulling the tyre...  had to really dig in deep and I was willing myself not to stop and walk...   

geez...  this is going to be hard...  but I can already tell that it's going to be good too.

Emmy...   I'm devising a new plan of action...  when I have it figured out, I'll let you know.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DV - I did an hour too but I think I'll stick with mine over yours. 

RR - what do they say about trying your kit before an event? I take it he's ok now?

• ATM - not sure about the total. The main charity had a Just Giving and Virgin Giving site, and some of the runners had their own Just Giving sites. Any idea TD?

The Jimbob wrote (see)

You guys had a ruddy marvelous experience together. Any other gossip you've failed to mention? image

We were all thoroughly well behaved. Apart from Douglas of course - any chance he got he had his nose in a pint.

RS - what happens in a ditch by the side of the road in the Czech Republic, stays, erm, in a ditch by the side of the road in the Czech Republic image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Amazing reports about everyones experience on ITLR. You're all awesome.

I'm currently thinking I've angered the gods and they are planning a carry on type sketch to take revenge. Last night was discovering I have a wasps nest in my roof, so climbing up ladder and trying not to fall off while throwing powdery stuff down the hole where they've built the nest. Although I think I got more on me than I did on the wasps!

Tonight I go out for a run and five minutes into the run it starts thunder and lightening! Still didn't get me running any better, with an awful 8:23 m/m average pace at what felt like full pelt.

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

Yes, I'm sitting here in my apartment of happiness and the only things we've got in here are two laptops and wi-fi internet connection. Might need to do some shopping...

You don't need much else...   I spend my life looking at other peoples houses and I'd make a guess that most people have more things than they really need....

Keep it simple..  keep it minimal...  keep smiling and enjoy it.

OK we took your advice and kept it down to the simple pleasures in life. We came back home to find a note from the neighbour in the apartment below us suggesting that the nocturnal noise was a bit much. Oops. Think I'm going to go and buy an iron so I've got something else to keep me busy... apparently nightime interval training isn't good when you live in close proximity!

Radar Sal wrote (see)

Td - sounds like you have the ideal mancave AND a hot young thing arriving for the weekend. What more could you want?  

Would LATEX be too much to ask for? image

Normal service will be resumed later. I am open to field questions about lactate thresholds and training programmes.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Normal service will be resumed later. I am open to field questions about lactate thresholds and training programmes.

As it applies to running?

• Orbutt  - that's the strange thing, he had used that particular stuff lots of times before, and never had a problem, but it's the only thing they can think of that could have caused it.

Out for a gentle trot this morning - legs are fine but my Garmin appears to have died. Time to go shopping, I think...

• KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Morning all, lovely to hear about the ITLR - it sounds really, incredibly tough and I'm in awe of you all for doing it (ditches, heat, DLR's nipples and all!)

TD and MM - congratulations on the nest!  Good quote ATM, about having only beautiful and/or functional things in your house. Sounds like you've got it covered with a couple of laptops...

Did a humid 10 miles last night, the longest I've run for a couple of weeks and the longest on a weeknight since before Paris, I think. It was lovely, especially when the sun went down about 8pm. Wore a visor which I think helped, but as I'm not used to wearing it I think it warmed me up a bit too. 

Less than eight weeks to go to the wedding now, hoorah! Scary though, we have a lot to do, including writing the service and the vows...Eep. Mr KS still needs to buy his suit too. 

No races coming up for me apart from the Round Norfolk Relay on September 15th, which will be pretty fun. Oh, and then the Southwold 10k in November. I'm looking at next year now - the Wholefoods beakfast run looks good - anyone done that? I really want to come to Paris too but it depends on timing and cash, unfortunately - we'll be repaying the wedding and saving to see my sister in Oz. Fingers crossed! North Norfolk half is on the list for May too - if anyone fancies doing it we have room for guests. Or you lot. Arf. 

On an icky note, am looking forward to Monday. Both of my ears have a waxy build up which has made me pretty much deaf for the past week, so I'm getting syringed. Woohoo -no more watching films with subtitles on! Pictures?

• Suze - Dr  Danni is pretty handy with a syringe.

I SAID DR DANNI IS PRETTY HANDY WITH A SYRINGE.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Give me strength....

• If I had any spare I would. Need all mine for the weekend

• KeyserSuze wrote (see)

North Norfolk half is on the list for May too - if anyone fancies doing it we have room for guests. Or you lot. Arf. 

There a marathon option as well Suze?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Hee hee hee, arf.image

Okay, I forgot to welcome a new poster and now can't find their post! Ops!!!!! So CALLING ALL NEWBIES: welcome! Pull up a chair and get comfy for the informative, sometimes (well most of the time) inappropriate and helpful paris marathon thread! Key stuff: entries to Paris are first come first served on (we're pretty sure) 16th of sep this year, route is brilliant (most regulars on here have done it more than once), organisation is well...very french but overall great and you WILL find everything you could imagine to wamt to know on here.

Key bit: Alot of us do know eachother but we absolutely love welcoming new people. It's a great big happy bouncy running family here. Oh we talk about pooh a bit so be prepared. image

• KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭
    Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

Suze - Dr  Danni is pretty handy with a syringe.

I SAID DR DANNI IS PRETTY HANDY WITH A SYRINGE.

HA! Seriously, it's ridiculous. Quite handy for ignoring chore requests though..."Sorry, dear, I didn't hear you ask for a cup of tea...." Reminds me of the first chapter of Captain Corelli's Mandolin. 

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    KeyserSuze wrote (see)

North Norfolk half is on the list for May too - if anyone fancies doing it we have room for guests. Or you lot. Arf. 

There a marathon option as well Suze?

Yes there is, good point! C'mon you marathoners. It's a lovely course, in a beautiful setting. Good bag's good too. 

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

i'm sure Weedy and Emmy will be up for it Suze, they are such a pair of marathon tarts. They eat up 26.2 miles at any opportunity

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

...marathon tarts.

Brilliant. image

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
     We came back home to find a note from the neighbour in the apartment below us 

Oh geez...   are you guys arguing already..?!?!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Weedy - please add to the list for me the Londinium Virginalis Marathon, April 13.  Thanks

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Weedy - please add to the list for me the Londinium Virginalis Marathon, April 13.  Thanks

Paris and Londinium? hardcore! Is your place secured?

• Dannirr wrote (see)

image That you moving from a maybe to a definite for Paris as well?

The Jimbob wrote (see)

i'm sure Weedy and Emmy will be up for it Suze, they are such a pair of marathon tarts. They eat up 26.2 miles at any opportunity

I was covered in glitter at a gay pride parade last week and now I'm being called a tart! I prefer the term "half-marathon-phobic" - sounds less camp.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

If you say so, love...

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

London place is secured (charity place) - I'm still in the general lottery, but I really wanted to be there so I applied to the charity and they took me. 

Paris is still a maybe - while a week apart seems pretty good, I'm not Emmy or Weedy, and I've been taking quite a bit off work....