Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Good morning threadsters from a hot and sultry Brussels. I don't have a firm total because there is some money still to come in for ITLR, but I expect the amount raised to be over 20,000EUR in the end, which is fabulous. Once again, a big thanks to all who contributed, re-posted, ran and encouraged.

Marathon Maus is now the proud owner of a new bicycle after many years of waiting. It was fun last night as she was practising getting used to cleated pedals, riding round the market square. She now has just two technical dismounts to her credit and thankfully no bruises.

We'll go for a ride in the forest today. We might even take the bikes. We now have a bed, an iron, washing machine is coming, a cutlery set. Still using a two piece plastic camping crockery set and have nothing to sit on at all apart from the stools at the kitchen island. You could drop a joke there if you wanted. 

Great to hear you'll be coming to Londinium for the mara Dannirr. What with you, me and OO there, the average age of thread participants is going to be a little heavy this year. Maybe I should start thinking of it more like a wine cellar... that we are developing subtle ripe notes? Anyway, lovely day to you all.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Yay, I had a good one this morning.  Goals were go long and go strong on technique, and   I got both!!!!   27kms with lots of concentration on form. Yay the stumpies!  Pace was shit about 30 secs min/km slower than should be but I don't do heat and fact I kept going is a win for me.  Now to have drinkies with rr and suzy while our personal chef bbqs. It's going to be tough. 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

How awful for you - I hope you girls have some coping strategies lined up....

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Gwarn RR with the 27km! glad to see you are stepping it up for Berlin. 

autumn marathons are nearly with us so im glad to see everyone is working hard. The ITLR'ers have inspired us all. Plus those ITLR peeps have given themselves a solid training base to push on from. Superb stuff guys. 

More inspiration on the telly today from the king of running Mo!

gonna try to go long in the morning, lets see if that happens

• Jim - that's what I'm hoping, but sore today...

RS - great distance, no doubt super pace. Have a great night, girls. 

Was planning a run in Belfast tomorrow am. May not happen. May just sleep!

• Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday dear ATM  

Happy birthday to you    image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hip Hip Hooray!

• Happy Birthday  image

(surprised that maths has advanced to create numbers that big..!!!)

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Happy birthday! Hope mr atm is treating this day with the reverence it deserves.

Gotta love smug Sunday mornings where the lsr is already in the bag. Iain - pace was NOT speedy 6:15 min per km.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday ATM!!!!

KeyserSuze wrote (see)
    Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

Suze - Dr  Danni is pretty handy with a syringe.

I SAID DR DANNI IS PRETTY HANDY WITH A SYRINGE.

HA! Seriously, it's ridiculous. Quite handy for ignoring chore requests though..."Sorry, dear, I didn't hear you ask for a cup of tea...." Reminds me of the first chapter of Captain Corelli's Mandolin. 

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    KeyserSuze wrote (see)

North Norfolk half is on the list for May too - if anyone fancies doing it we have room for guests. Or you lot. Arf. 

There a marathon option as well Suze?

Yes there is, good point! C'mon you marathoners. It's a lovely course, in a beautiful setting. Good bag's good too. 

Ooh... Please provide links image

The Jimbob wrote (see)

i'm sure Weedy and Emmy will be up for it Suze, they are such a pair of marathon tarts. They eat up 26.2 miles at any opportunity

I prefer the term: addict. It's better than marathon slut: thinking about one whilst you're running anotherimage

been out this morning with muttely. he's settling in surprisingly well. Am now looking for dog friendly Mara's next year so if anyone has any suggestions please pass them on image

TD- soundproofing? I've heard those late night interval sessions can be a bit noisy...

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Shouldn't there be a day off work for the Queen's birthday?

Happy Birthday ATM imageimageimage

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

If anyone's interested I have a soft garmin hr monitor that's going spare. Didn't fit me well so have switched back to the hard one. 

• Happy Birthday ATMimage

I am smug and refuelled after my slow run this morning.........only another 3 to do!!! image I am taking this training very easyimage

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

4k into today's run and calf tightened image Nothing went ping but I couldn't run on it.

Looks like another layoff and a re-evaluation of Berlin. 

RR - I noticed you wore calf guards on ITLR. How did you find them? Which ones did you get

• Orbutt - I wear compression socks(even when doing postie rounds) and find they help lots?? 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

orbutt - I've been having calf problem, on one leg and running coach has diagnosed it as my hip is tight so I'm not engaging glute on that leg and it's going down to my calf to pull through...so lots of hip rolling, front, side and back.

• Orbutt - I've found them to be very useful in keeping the muscles supported and reducing inflammation. I'm not convinced the help isn't partly psychological, but then I'm not convinced the problems I've had with my calves weren't partly psychological as well. On Emmy's recommendation I got the Compressport ones from wiggle (I specifically wanted white for running in hot weather and they do a range of colours).

The world's most ill-advised marathon training plan continues, but after 16 slow and ungainly miles this morning I'm much more confident I'll make it round the Isle of Man in 2 weeks one way or another. I might see if I can squeeze in a 20 miler next weekend just to see what happens. It was always going to be a training race, so the whole thing's a bit of a voyage of discovery.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RR - thanks. Did you go for the R2 or the UR2 (Ultra Recovery)?

RS - that's very interesting, as I've got a bit of an odd feeling in the corresponding butt cheek too. I need to work on technique as I'm conscious that I could run better (not necessarily faster). Should I blast hip/butt with OROD?

I used to do all of my running in tights but was sure that it was a bit psychological so now I only use them in winter. Too hot for them now but the calf guards may be a good idea - especially if Kaz uses them?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday ATM!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

orbutt - that's what I'm doing (well, supposed to do).  Looks very wrong when you're doing the front.  you might want to get Mrs Orbutt to leave the room.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RS - just checked with Mrs O. She said I can leave the room, she's staying where she is.

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Youch Orb, that calf problem  is à bit of à drag. Ive had one on and off since November but i managed to get by with ice massage rest nurofen and more of the above. as the others say maybe see a fizz, ideally you need to be able to train, maybe a fizz can instruct you how best to manage it. Ice is top of my list.

My shin is à little achy after my 21 miler today, the calf, knee and Achilles more or less held up ok. More ice vicar!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Any problem in my right leg, from my hip down to my little toe is inevitably caused by my ongoing hip flexor issues...OROD does help but my massage therapist is away in Japan for a month (he didn't even consult me before he booked it!!!) and I'm really noticing the difference the lack of treatment makes....

• Dark Vader wrote (see)
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
     We came back home to find a note from the neighbour in the apartment below us 

Oh geez...   are you guys arguing already..?!?!

Um. Arguing is the antithesis to the cause for complaint...I probably should feel image. But I don't. I feel image

So we took the bikes out for a spin last night. Here is a list of things I've learnt are really heard to do all at once:

1. Ride on the right hand side of the road when I'm used to the left.

2. Use brakes on opposite handlebars.

3. Ride in shoes with cleats.

4. Figure out which gear is which on a new bike.

5. Ride in a country where you don't know the roads, the road signs, or the language.

After 6 technical dismounts, including 2 bumps to the head and one rather spectacular manoevre where I didn't make contact with bitumen, but rather cleverly managed to step out and over the bicycle as it tipped forwards, I called it quits 400 metres from home.

The right cleat kept sticking, so I panicked trying to use my non-dominant leg as I came to a stop. And my gears need adjusting so the chain doesn't come off and I can stop free-wheeling.

All in all: a bit of a shambles. My legs, knees and butt are black and blue.

In my first fall, I managed to fall on top of some timber bollards through a gate the width of which I badly misjudged. Thankfully I was wearing a helmet, but my bike will sadly need a trip to hospital for a repair.

There were lots of good bits. Like the wind in my face, the beautiful scenery and being with TD. If it weren't for him, I would be sobbing in some woods somewhere.

• And

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ATM!!

Many happy returns.

• Bloody heck MM..........I hope you are ok!

Ym - what are you doing for your hip flexors?? Are they tight or weak?? 

Torrential rain and still 6 turned up for circuit training, one even drove 15 bloody miles to attend!! Happy Kaz!image

• Other than being livid with myself for damaging my sexy new bike, annoyed that we have to go back to the shop tomorrow, and embarrassed about having to disply my crap cycling ability in front of my new boyfriend, who I'd really rather impress, I'm fine! Just a sore and sorry for myself.

Here's the prettiest of my bruises. There are quite a few in places only TD gets to see...

/members/images/694482/Gallery/Pretty_bruise.jpg

• Blimey MM...  that's quite a day...    image

• MM - ow, that looks painful. Get TD to go out straight away and get you some arnica.

Orbutt - I have the R2. I went for the basic model, but I see from the website if I'd gone  for the UR2  'Every centimetre of fibre is loaded with Thousands of capsules containing 6 essential oils renowned for their soothing and myorelaxing virtues.' Blimey, I thought they were just elasticated tubes image.