Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• I think that marathon would do me too!!

My 10 miles has been postponed until later/never. I have burning muscles in places I never thought possible ang my legs feel so heavy you'd think I'd just ran a marathon. Rest me thinks....... image

• Kaz - good call! Sounds like a bit of gentle stretching is all you need.

TD - I lost a grand total of 0.1kg on ITLR. Which is, I think, a tribute to Elaine's cooking.

Long range forecast for Isle of Maus - 13 degrees, sunny intervals. Brrrrr....

• Holy moly........ Just been looking for a OROD(yes i dont have one!), have you seen the 'Rumble Roller' - brought tears to my eyes just looking at it!! 

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

DV - I've never appreciated neither Johnny Marr nor Morrisey on their own but The Smiths were the greatest band ever.  You always have good advice so worth checking out.

Dannir - Steamtown Marathon looks fun, last bloke is skipping

Kaz - what advice would you give to your clients if they were feeling as you do ? Look after N° 1.

• PC91 - Indeed!!! But you've also reminded me that I have 15 booked in for a class tonight- hope I'm feeling more lively by thenimage

• Dannirr..   I've never heard of a downhill marathon before.   I'm not sure that will be as easy as it might sound.  What is the total descent over the 26 miles...?    The graphic is impossible to see the numbers.   If its a very gentle descent then maybe it won't be too bad, but a steep descent will put lots of strain on your knees and quads.   Tell us more about it.

PC91..  that song comes from an album called The Messenger.  I like it.  Its worth a listen....

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Whenever I run downhill everyone else seems to overtake me image

Did my first ride into work today on my new bike. Didnt take much longer than driving so should hopefully be a regular thing. It definitely works different muscles to running though as felt hard work!

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Cheers for the link Malcs, will take a look.

• No worries..  I looked it up..  it has a net drop of only 955 feet.  That is as flat as it can probably be...   sounds like a perfect PB potential course then...   go for it..!  image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - That profile looks good to me. I've always found it strange that some people find downhill running hard or causes pain. I just relax and seen to fly past most people on a good long downhill section. Pretty much the excact opposite of what happens on any uphill section.

DV - I'm pretty much with PC91. Loved the Smiiths, but not a fan of any of their solo work.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

No problem TrevO, YM, I need to do more of these myself too.

What the devil is an OROD? No amount of googling will tell me. I've seen the rumble roller and would concur with Kaz's assessment, it looks positively medieval. If the OROD is similar then you must be one heck of a masochist YM!

DV - I'm a big Smiths fan too but I really liked Morrissey's stuff as well. Never really got into Marr though. Maybe time for another look so thanks for the tip off.

He was supporting at the Stone Roses gig in Finsbury Park but unfortunately we didn't get there in time to see him. 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Malcs - it's a Trigger Point roller - collectively known as the Orange Roller of Doom....but I fear it may be the little brother of the Rumble roller....which I am about to have a look at....image

http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/general-exercise-equipment/triggerpoint-the-grid-foam-roller.html?gclid=CPa1k7Om2bgCFcLHtAodmk8AJA

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yer_maj - you need to google: tiger's tail. Weedy and I both have one and they're paintastic!

Hubby bought a new bike yesterday and I have bike envy image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I've seen the amazon ad for the rumble roller, even the girl in the pic can't manage a smile.

I do wonder about the tiger tail but given my slackness at using my BROD (black roller of doom) it'd probably not make much of a difference. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

YM - geez, that is one nasty bit of kit but yes, I think you're right, the rumble roller looks like it has been designed to end lives.

Radar Sal wrote (see)

I've seen the amazon ad for the rumble roller, even the girl in the pic can't manage a smile.

Emmy - poor you. Are you close to needing an upgrade? Not long until Christmas image

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

8 miles kind of recovery run around the town of itzehoe this morning, had no idea where I was going but found my way back to the house where we are staying. Not planning anything too strenuous this week, having a bit of a cut back. Hot weather on the horizon so will try to get out earlier. 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I finally seem to be seeing a return to closer to what I expect from my running. I managed 9 miles tonight at not far off the sort of pace I'd expect over that distance. It hurt like hell, but felt good to see it paying off in terms of time. That's off the back of a decent 11 miles last night. I think the departure of the big burny thing in the sky is helping big time in getting my times back down.

A few weeks of hard training and hopefully I can get back to some decent form for my up and coming races.

• Hope you can all see my halo shining - no running, no cycling, no kettlebells, no metafit...........image

• Eggy -- keep at it, your times will get back where you want them.

Dannirr --Ive tried uphill marathons.  the other kind sounds a lot better

DV --Im a big Smiths fan too, but haven't listened to much of Marr's new stuff.  I will give it a try.

• You serious Kaz??? Nothing? Well done!

Eggy, good to hear your running is getting back on track... Wish mine was. Thinking about the Great Scottish Run on 6 October? How would you rate it?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Simon - It's a good race. They've chnaged the route this year, with the second half of the route taking a completely different route from what it normally does. I'm not sure if that will be better or not. I think support wise the new section could be barren for support until you turn back into the city centre, while the part they've cut out included Pollock Park and a part of the city with amazing support from the Sikh community in Glasgow.

I think they've gone down the include the sites on route as they take you past the tall ship and the new Hydro building this year. It's a fast, flat course. The only hill on it is right at the start. It can be very busy for the first couple of miles until you clear the Kingston Bridge, but once you get over that the road widens and you should be able to dictate your own pace.

I've entered this year. This'll be my seventh year in a row doing the half there. It's a local one for me though.

Kaz - Well done, glad to hear you're looking after yourself.

• Thanks Eggy. Think I'll enter the half, and Mrs Mac will do the 10K. I really need to sort my running out first though. Even the easy runs are hard....

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm sorting out my running just now too. I've not been consistent with my running since doing Paris/London due to niggling injuries, work insanity and getting a social life.

I'm currently pushing as hard as I can to try and get my cardio fitness back by getting some decent pace going, along with trying to get a few decent middle distance type runs in. So far both pace and distance are hurting like hell, but at least the times seem to heading in the right direction. I'd love to have a crack at my 10k PB at Perth or Stirling, but I'm not sure I can get in that sort of form in time for them.

I'll be very happy if I can get to the start of winter training in good shape, particularly after last winters groin strain ruined training. I really didn't enjoy training for Paris this year as that injury meant my training was slow, and I found out I hate not being able to push myself and just getting to slowly plod along.

• Inverness 10K is a good one for a PB Eggy. That's where I got mine, and I don't think I'll ever beat it now. I just need to start enjoying my running again and stop chasing times.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Simon, I've entered the 10k. * I'll PM .Maybe Mrs. Mac would like to join me and a friend in the same pen?* It's being broadcast live, this year.

• Good Morning all..

It's August...!

As is traditional, and possibly written in a European Law, when we get to August we sweep up the mess, turn off the lights here and close the door on the fun and tears of the prevous year.   We then open a bright shiny new thread for the next year...

So..   any volunteers to start the Paris Marathon 2014 thread...?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed the Glasgow Half last year - it's the same day as Cardiff this year or I would be back to do it again.  Shame they have cut out Pollock Park though...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm on it DV....

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

DV  +1 for JM. Everytime a French person says J'en ai marre (I'm fed up ), I hear Johnny Marr.

Kaz - well done.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Aaaaaand we have a new hoose.  It's gonna have to be good to live up to 2013....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/paris-marathon-2014/257261.html