Morning training - afternoon slump

Hi,

I've recently started training (again) and find that the only way I can stick to a training programme (or any exercise) is to do it in the morning before work as otherwise I just wont do it.  However, by doing this I find around 2/3pm in the afternoon I get extremely tired to the point where concentrating is difficult.  Has anyone else had this and overcome it?  Is there anything that helps?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Would love to help - but I am exactly the same - I go out about 5;35am - make sure i have a big bowl of cereal afterwards and lunch around 1 but start to flag again around 3 -4.

• Same here I get up at 5am to run and I suffer the 3 - 4 pm slump especially if I have not got much to do.image The only cure I have found is to go to bed really early but I don't like doing that as I would be going to bed at the same time as the kidsimage It just feels wrong.

Lots of coffe does help a bit I guess.

• maybe it is to do with what you are eatng when? I run early morning, but don't get an afternoon slump - although as a teacher my classes finish at 3:30 so I have a natural 'break' there - if I am staying at school for a meeting then I get chance for a drink, walk around, or if I am going home then I get a break before driving home.

I eat brekki after running, have a snack around 10:45 - normall banana/apple and lunch at 12:45 (those times are dictated by the school timetable)

• oh, and I don't drink much coffee as it tends to make me feel worse

• ditch the coffee.... it's the drink that ruined America.image

I would suggest it's a nutrition thing.

Simple answer - get up earlier and run in the morning.  Join us on the SOC thread.

• Thanks, I think your probably right on the nutrition thing any tips on what I should be eating to help me would be much appreciated image
  • Sorry I'm new to this, what's the SOC thread?
  • it is the 'who else gets up at stupid o'clock' thread

there are quite a few of us on there that get up early to run before work - it is in the 'general' section of the forums

nutrition - I generally have a bowl of porridge after running and before work. Fruit mid-morning, plus maybe some nuts if I am hungry and have some. lunch - normally a sandwich and fruit. If I have time to make a salad or something then I will have that at lunch.