Ironman uk 2013

Does anyone know if 2013 ironman uk is gona be held in Bolton again ?

Comments

• I think they still have a year or two left on the contract as far as I know

• according to the follow ups they are in negotiations...i know there was a nasty crash which has led to some de-briefing and condgitating but we're hopeful it will be on our doorstep again.

according to the guy at myopenwaterswim they are trying to establish it (uk seems is one of the only im races that has moved around) here but there are nimby's (not in my back yard) who are opposing it!!

you can pre-register and they will let you know

• Ok thanks, have you done the course andy if so what's it like ?
  • hi mike, yeah i've done imuk here twice (only finished once) and i live right on the cycle route so i've ridden it millions of times. its tough....although there is only one big climb you ride it 3 times on the day....and it hurts the 3rd time.

the rest of the course is lumpy but also quite technical...no real chance to just get down and pedal away (well perhaps one of about 3 miles)...its a nice place though and over the hills are some great views.

all in all its a cracking race now (after its early teething problems) and this year MrsB did it and it was terrific.

if you need a recce sometime once you've signed up i'll be happy to take you round

• Once I find out if its going to be in bolton I will definitely take you up on that offer thanks mateimage I'm down in surrey but will try and get up there at least twice to go round the course thyanks again mate image

• Do we think this will probably be the last time it's in Bolton?
  • there's been much talk over the years (and certainly over on Tripetalk) as to the future of this event, which when you combine it with the fact that IM Wales may not last past the initial 3 years agreed with the Welsh funding bodies (that would take it to 2013), then do WTC then abandon both events and just create one IMUK at a different venue, or settle on one of the 2 current venues???  

financially and logistically that may make sense, especially now as the UK seems to have become the home of a large number of competing long distance events (Outlaw, Henley to name the 2 big ones) so there is more competition for people's money.

but saying that, the IM brand is still a big draw which is why WTC are creating many new events or they are taking over existing races (the 1st IM Sweden this weekend coming was a long standing existing event; IM Cairns in Oz used to be a Challenge event) where the structure is in place and branding it with the IM logo.

so the simple answer is - who knows?  I guess we'll find out in time when WTC make whatever decisions they make.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

but saying that, the IM brand is still a big draw which is why WTC are creating many new events or they are taking over existing races (the 1st IM Sweden this weekend coming was a long standing existing event; IM Cairns in Oz used to be a Challenge event) where the structure is in place and branding it with the IM logo.

Ironman Nottingham, anyone?

• don't see that happening CD - they'd need some major changes to the race format to handle the sort of numbers that IM would get and want - they're about at the limit of swimmers for a mass start.   but never say never!

• I've signed up for Bolton and currently have a carbon road bike.  Was thinking about getting a time trail bike for the IM but can only really afford a second aluminium bike.  I'm new to cycling so didn't know if the light weight carbon road bike would be slower than a heavier aluminium bike but with a more aerodynamic position? I've heard people talk about some rides being too technical for a TT bike but don't really know what that means.

I do know how quick the bike is depends how you quick you pedal!! 

• I have a carbon road bike, but added aero bars = more aerodynamic position

Light = fast as far as I'm aware

• Aero probably counts over weight. Add the weight of the bike, bottles, pump, kit, snacks, and rider. Difference between a light bike and a heavy bike is virtually nothing.

However aero counts for a lot less effort. Unless of course the course is hilly and technical and you never get aero. If you are out fo the saddle on the ascents and on the brakes cornering on the descents then aero counts for zip. In which case a better handling lighter road bike would be better. Bikes for courses as they say.

Where the limits are depends on your power and speed, riding skills and even how windy it is. Comfort also counts.

M..eface

• And a cock hat pound for pound gives more aero benefits than an aero bike. But you get a hot head and there is another draw back which escapes me.