Do I need to reduce my distance?

I'm training for a HM in Oct and had built up to 15km. However, a combination of work and holiday will mean I will go 5 weeks without managing a long run.

The first 2 of these weeks were not too bad, I managed 3 shorter runs each week, including a tempo and an interval session each week, and a lot of cross training. I didn't do a long run, but did run 45 mins on legs tired from 4 hours cycling.

Last week, this week and next week are very different. I've managed about 20 mins of conditioning/strengthening exercises about 3 times a week, but little aerobic apart from a bit of skipping. This is because I'm away, working long hours, and it's not possible to go out running.

When I get home, can I just pick up where I left off with a 15km long run or do I need to drop the distance back down? If so, how quickly can I pick up again?

I'm really missing it!

Comments

• I'd drop down a bit if it was me.Doesn't have to be too much say 2-3 miles and build it up to 15k again by a mile each week over 3-4 weeks.Just play it by ear jane.Set out for a 7 miler and if this feels too much at mile 5,cut back to 6.If you feel good go for 8.

• Thanks, that sounds like a good plan.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I'd also recommend not to increase your distance by more than 10% each week.

I travel a lot on business too and take my running gear and go at 4/5am to get a run in before work
  • Thanks, I'll do the 10% calculations.

Unfortunately it's not possible to run in most places I travel to. I'm in South Sudan at the moment, and for security reasons we are not advised to leave the hotel alone, or on foot before 8am or after 5:30pm.

I've discovered there is a Hash House Harriers group, so might be able to join them for a run on Saturday though.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I have a colleague who is working in Nigeria and he spoke to the hotel and he either trained on the treadmill or trained with a group organised by the hotel with security personnel each side.

• I'm asking around at the moment trying to find a gym which I can use on my day off and pay for the day, rather than having to pay hundreds of dollars for a membership. So hopefully a treadmill will be possible for a couple of hours at least.

I like your colleague's idea, but I can't see it being possible here on a weekday. Security policy basically restricts us to the hotel, or driving, outside working hours. I'll try and see if there is something I can arrange for Saturday though.

I admire your dedication. I'm not sure I'd get up at 4am to run, even if it was an option!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol, I guess it was partly due to him being a man that he was "allowed" out with security patrol with him. He's a fantastic guy to speak to - he's run in the most dangerous and desolate places in the world and he really has dedication. I met him at a conference last year where he had just finished a project in the UAE and was running in the desert.

As a woman; I find it a lot more difficult to run in certain countries. I've been advised against running in Egypt and Turkey... although in Istanbul the guy from reception ran 10km with me as he was worried about me going out alone! Hash harriers are a great idea to get involved in - especially if they'll help you get out a little bit. I was once in a secure compound and it felt a bit like a prison after a while.

4am is sometimes the only way that I can get out there. If i leave it to later on in the day - i always find excuses to not go (work/leisure etc).

• run at 5am, that way nothing can get in the way.