Options

Newbie feeling disheartened already :(

Comments

• Options
    Thanks, guys image Well, tonight I'm going to meet the leader of the running club I'm joining when I've finished my C25K (four to five weeks). She's going to show me the best ways to warm-up and cool-down and is going to look at my plan for me, to see if she can recommend anything else. Finally, she's going to try to come along to my 5k run in October to support me image
  • Options

vicky - she sounds really niceimage

• Options
    Yeah, she does! Am looking forward to meeting her and the other group members later. I'm gutted I won't be joining their run tonight in a way, but I know I wouldn't be on the same level as them yet.
  • Options
    Well, I met the running group leader and a few members tonight and they were so supportive. Gave me advice on warming up, etc, and had a look at my beginners' plan. Some of them are doing the same 5k run as me too. Went for a run and it was much more positive. I didn't fret about technique and I found that 2 mins of solid running is my limit at the moment but I did add an extra interval if running onto the end and if my legs weren't hurting, I could have carried on. Compared with my first run, I did 0.3 miles more and 30 seconds quicker.
  • Options

vicky - well doneimage

I'll let you know how my first running club session goes tonight - I am a bit nervous

• Options
    Yes, let me know! When I join the group properly, I will be nervous too. I think I'll be the most useless one there!
  • Options

Vicky - they were really friendly, Tonight was not a 'normal' training night, they were doing an annual 5k 'time trial' (I had been warned in advance) - luckily there was a 70 year old who ran at about my pace (well, not sure if that was how old he really is) but I did feel like I was really pushing myself. Everyone clapped me at the end which was very nice of them. Discovered someone from my tri club there so had a good chat at the end. I'll be going back next week.

• Options
    Oh good, glad your enjoyed it. You do triathlon?
  • Options

yeah, just started doing triathlons this year, really good fun. I am not particularly good or fast at any of it but it really doesn't matterimage triathlons are really accessible for beginners

• Options
    Yeah, that does sound fun but I'm a rubbish swimmer!
  • Options

doesn't matter - the swimming bit is the smallest part of itimage

• Options

I can't swim, or ride a bike - so that's Triathlon well and truly ruled out for me! image

• Options
    Do you have your meetings at local pools, then?
  • Options
    Oh, I love cycling! Am always gutted I don't have a bike. Can't afford one, sadly!
  • Options

RR - you can always learn!image

vicky - yeah, my tri club does a run then swim session on Thursdays and a swim session on Sundays at a local leisure centre

• Options

Hi Vicky, I have been lurking on this one. I just wanted to post just to say that running is not always easy but with determination you can do it. I have had so much help and support from the guys on here. They have shared my ups and downs encouraged me and congratulated me. It may seem at times like you are never going to get there but you will if you listen to advice and take it easy to start.

I am a rubbish swimmer too image

• Options
    Thank you, that means a lot, as does everyone's support on here. Everyone has been so lovely! I certainly do have lots of determination and will persevere through the highs and lows, but it's great to hear from people who have been there image
  • Options

Hey Vicky (and all of you), I had to go away with work so I had an enforced week of rest.  Feeling a lot better and will get back in the gym tomorrow.  Glad to see the running club has worked out for you, I think you have inspired me to look into local clubs again.  Where is the 5k you'll be running in Oct?

Mathschick, I am thinking of taking up triathlons as well but I can barely ride a bike.  Thought about doing some aquathlon/biathle this year and working on the cycling.  What would you recommend and was the bike a big outlay?  Do you clip in (scares me a bit, I am quite accident prone). Any advice appreciated, a friend said that tri training was a bit easier on the knees!

• Options

hi momma cub

glad the rest has done you some good. It is quite a good time to buy a bike now as they are all reduced. I do clip in, I was scared too, for the first week after I got the bike I just sat on it in the garden holding onto a wall and practiced clipping and unclipping. I was scared first time I went out on it, but it was fine. I have only fallen off once, when I was busy concentrating on a car that was being a bit irratic and didn't think about my feet.

I think tri training is good because you mix it up and do a bit of everything. It is worth joining a tri club - mine is really friendly and takes complete beginners. The coaching is excellent.

• Options

That sounds perfect mathschick, I shall get on the quest for tri clubs and contemplate the whole bike buying business.  I have an old mountain bike that I could modify but I suspect I might be better off getting something fit for the task.  I will even brave the clip ons, you have given me courage!  I've signed up for a ballot entry to the RideLondon 100 challenge so I best get used to cycling pretty quickly!

• Options

wow! yes, I would say start now. Your mountain bike will be ok for starting with, but really for road cycling you need a road bike - there is an amazing difference. That does look like a great event, I would tempted myself but I think we will be away - we always go on holiday at the end of July so will still be away on that date. The tri forums are really good and supportive on here.

• Options

Keep it up Vicky! I finished the NHS C25K 2 or 3 weeks ago and now find the 45 minute runs I've worked up to easier than my 3 minute runs at the start of the programme! It's amazing how quickly your body will adapt if you just stick with it to the letterimage

• Options

P.S. I'm finding running outdoors much better than on a treadmill - I tried a 5K programme a couple of years ago on a treadmill and gave up after 4 weeks because my knee was killing me! Outdoors, I only had slight knee pain in weeks 2-3 and then it disappeared. Not sure if this is the same for everyone (or whether it was the programme rather than the treadmill) but just giving my experience of it!

• Options

I think you tend to run slightly differently when you are on the treadmill, as you aren't actually trying to propel yourself forwards. It might be that that made the difference.

well done kasia

• Options

Hey Vicky, how's it going?  I feel in need of an update!  How far into the C25K are you now?

• Options
    Hmm, it's not going great. I went on holiday last week and did no running at all so I'm now on week three of the program and back to feeling crap and disheartened because I don't feel I've made much progress. I'm up to about three minutes od solid running, but still with recovery walks in between image Still, I've got six weeks until my 5k run so I'm still hopeful that I will get there.
  • Options
    Having said that, I have just received an email from my local running group to say that, from tomorrow, she's starting 1-2 mile sessions for people like me who are still on the run/walk stage and she says that after about five weeks, most of us will be ready to join the regular running group. That's really given me a boost, as hopefully these sessions will help me towards my 5k goal in October image
  • Options

Vicky - that sounds excellent. Don't worry about the fact that you are still having walk breaks, it takes time to build up. Just keep at it and one day you will get there.

• Options

Great news about your running club Vicky, I think that will give you a real boost.  And holidays are there to be enjoyed and now you are back into the running.  As MC says, one day at a time and you will get there. image

• Options
    Well, tonight I went for a run along a new riverside route which was so much nicer than my usual roadside one. And I did much better than expected! I ran for 3 to 4 minutes at a time, which only one minute of walking in between. My ankles really hurt but I enjoyed it and feel proud of myself! Shame I won't be able to continue my riverside run into the dark evenings, as it's quite secluded.