Prostatitis

Hi everyone,

I'm recovering from Prostatitis (inflamation of the prostate) which has sidelined me from running for almost 3 months now. Medical advice seems to be conflicting regarding whether running/jogging exacerbates the inflamation. Any one out there able to offer some advice on this one?

John (H)

Comments

• Did you get any answers on this? I've had it for 4 months, only just clearing now. I went for my first run in ages yesterday, had previously not ran as the symptoms (aching thighs and lower back) weren't exactly great for running...
  • Hi JDN,

You are the first person to respond and it's good to hear from you. So glad that you are on the mend now. I had the dreaded P for 4 months, too from May to August. My GP tells me that it takes up to 9 months to completely clear the system. I'm feeling a lot better but still have the odd off day. That has not stopped me getting back in to running mode. I'm now able to to do 5 and 10k's and the psychological boost that gives is enormous. Hang in there and keep in touch.

Best wishes,

John (H)

• I'm over the symptoms now really, I'd never had it before and was really worried for a couple of months because it took ages to correctly diagnose and I had to go for some investigations at hospital. Still get the odd bit of jip now and then but it's hardly noticeable and I expect it will eventually burn itself out.

Did you have a long course of antibiotics and alpha blockers?
  • Guys, I've just been diagnosed with this and haven't run in 6 weeks - its killing me.

Are you symptom free now? Did it just correct itself or is there much you can do to speed it up? I was give Cipro - which can cause ruptured Achilles Tendons if you run - even though it's not an infection - wish I'd known that at the time.

Any advice appreciated...

• Anyone?

I'm on cipro. Had prostatitis for 5 weeks. Anyone know if I can run or cycle?

I'm going crazy!!!

Ta. Matt.