Options

So, what's next

Comments

• Options

mine neither but was looking for the Atlanta post and saw it!! lol...my memory aint that good either!!image.....i can only cope with 2/3 months ahead image on a good day...image

• Options

Spen71: which Croydon parkrun? I'm ED at Lloyd parkrun - come see us sometime!

I'm booked for Beachy Head Marathon end of October (so long as I can find someone to RD my parkrun that day) and various cross-country races for the club. Next year I have a GFA place for London Mara - thought I'd get that done. Main goal Lakeland 50 (wanting to run that is what got me started on ultra). Thinking of Winter Tanners (LDWA challenge) in January, tempted to enter Comrades. Thinking that Ridegeway 5 will be a full month after Lakeland 50 so I could try that...

Need to find at least one for Nov/Dec and ditto for Feb/March.

Suggestions? Remembering I'm based SE London/Kent (although I can travel) and can't do too many Saturdays.

• Options

Considering Dunstable 20 or marathon - trail, self-navigated, 9th September. Might be very good as a warm-up for Beachy Head- practice running faster on the trails than I have been doing while training for/running NDW50. Could get up at 6, leave the house at 7 am - not too bad. Maybe visit Whipsnade Zoo afterwards.

• Options

The NDW thread has sadly ended on a very sour note - much as it began, in fact.  I have the Enigma Gold Ultra on BH Monday then various marathons over the next few months.  I eventually decided to treat myself to a sleeping bag and mat to celebrate finishing the NDW, so I can do some multi-day events.  I am planning on the Pony Express and am also very tempted to do the Wall.   The Vanguard looks great too, as it covers NDW and SDW.  I'd love to do a multi-day this year, but I don't have enough holiday days left.

• Options

rosemary, really? has it? why?image....i too like the look of vanguard, really did love the NDW trail route and am going back very soon for training run thereimage...how are you feeling after your fab run at NDWimage

• Options

ah. ok ive read it now Rosemary. a shame..and did the person complaining about the rubbish actually crew or run? im sure the aid station crew did everything they could with the rubbish and i certainly didnt see mess anywhere! i think maybe the person complaining needs to remember that it wasnt just people in NDW that were present on the downs that day. it was good weather and a lot of families , dog walkers and horsey people out too. image

• Options

I thought that I might get in a cheeky ultra at the end of August, but I have thought better of it.  I have managed one five weeks after every previous 100 miler I have done, but the Lakeland 100 has really kebabed me.  It has probably done me a favour, because I had got back into that silly cycle where you do an ultra, then recover in time to taper for the next one, then repeat. 

• Options

For me it is the HM60 at the end of September.

For 2013 I want to complete the Hardmoors Grandslam this 4 race series  will see me run my first 100 miler, as well as as 35, 55 and 60. 

My other goal is run go to Boston and run a PB at the marathon on roads. I intend this to be last attempt at PBing on road marathons. But Boston is such an iconic race I want to give it a try above even London.

• Options

Still thinking about Vanguard Way - temping with the start so local -  but not sure about recovering & getting a bit of speed back for Beach Head, and it's another Saturday to get covered for parkrun.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I am thinking of just doing day 2 of the Vanguard Way as it starts pretty to close to home and would be a good long training run before Caesars Camp.

• Options
    Tim Bateson wrote (see)

But Boston is such an iconic race I want to give it a try above even London.

tim, id choose Boston over London too anyday if i had to pick a 'big' marathon .

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I would choose just about any race over London again! image

• Options

Yes I asked a few people about the Boston or London option. (But was going to go Boston anyway image ) Most people picked Boston, but a few said that London had a great atmosphere.

Also makes it a mini holiday for me and Mrs B. Which gives me more allowance for training time image

• Options

I'm hoping that Lou, me and Franny can drag ourselves round in a decent time at Abingdon, then I never have to do another one image First and last road mara - would be ideal image

• Options
    Wetter is Better! wrote (see)

I would choose just about any race over London again! image

i have no desire whatsoever to do London-never have.image too many people , too much faff,.....nooo thank you

• Options

Rocker...my thoughts exactly....although it will be my 4rth road marathon and if i don't get a decent time then I will want to do a 5th before hanging up my road mara shoes....image

• Options

LLB, agreed, it seems a bit of an overreaction.  Hope it doesn't cause issues for next year.

No aches, pains, niggles or other problems, but I am finding the tiredness a little difficult to shake.  How are you getting on?  How's the back? 

To the Abingdon crew, what prompted you all to do it? I quite like the odd road marathon, running on trails makes a huge difference to the strength in your legs and the road feels much easier afterwards (to me at least). 

Debra - I wouldn't worry too much about getting speed back for Beachy, it isn't a very fast course, to say the least.  I always think the winning times are a good indication and the first man home is usually around 3.00 hours.

So many good races coming up, if only there was more time.

• Options

I've entered for London next year, because lots of people in my running club (and my father-in-law, who ran it three times) have said it "should be experienced once" and to have a nice easy answer to the people who ask whether  I've "run The Marathon" (and because I have a GFA place). Apart from that I don't really want to do any road runs except Comrades (and whatever mara or 50K I'll need to do to get a reasonable start pen for that).

• Options

Rosemary: I'm not expecting to be fast at Beachy Head, but I don't want to disgrace myself, so I do want to remind my legs that they can run at a better pace than 9 mins/mile, and that uphills can be run not always walked! Did seven miles with the club last night averaging 8.36/mile and it felt good, but back in April I averaged nearly that pace for a whole marathon.

cragchick: thanks for the reminder that if I need a road marathon for a decent time I can do one like New Forest and have nice surroundings, at least.image

• Options

Cragchick, what a wonderful sounding run, certainly better than my 8 mile slog on the treadie this morning. 

It's odd how that happened at both ends of the thread, isn't it?  I thought the event was excellent value and I really hope Centurion start more - I'd love an SDW50! 

So that's why Abingdon is popular.  Someone's offering to transfer a place for it on the events forum.  I'd do it to run with the rest of the crew from here, but I already have an event that day, unfortunately.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

It is incredibly expensive to put the races on...

• Options

New Forest was my first marathon some years ago.  It's certainly not as hilly as Beachy, but still contains some 'interest', shall we say.  I have to say, I didn't enjoy it, there were an awful lot of very inconsiderate drivers (most of them following 'their' runners) on the road. There were one or two confrontations between drivers and runners.  Shame, because the scenery is beautiful.

Debra, last year everyone attempted to run the first hill out of Eastbourne, after that pretty much only the elites ran all the rest of the hills.  It makes for a very bizarre sight to see masses of runners come to a sudden stop, walk for a hill and then resume running at the top.  You can tell when the top of a hill is coming, as the running wave passes through the crowd.  image

• Options

For me it was 2003, but I may also have a slightly jaundiced view of it, as I was having one of those days when your feet feel like lead and you really have to grind out every mile.  Maybe I'll try it again next year.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

cragchick - Just amke sure you eat your money's worth at checkpoints as well image

I have never done Beachy marathon even though it is so close. I will put it on the to do list along with 3 Forts.

• Options

Rosemary i love Newforest , we went there in May and i ran everyday in the week before the ultra i did at northants-i couldnt help myself! agree totally on running trail a lot and offroad makes running a flat tarac race a lot easier. ive noticed in the last 4 months since ive been off road how much stronger i am ON road.

sdw50???? yes id LOVE that to be an event. i think centurion did a brilliant job of NDW and i think rule of thumb is £1 per mile? so i didnt think £50 for that was much really  when you think some 10k or HM events can easily be £20-£25 and you dont get half the support/food or first aid.

we are doing Abingdon as Eckytump over on littlebitfurther thread has a charity dedicated to a disease her son sadly passed away with . its called Histio disease and is a rare blood disorder. we will all be meeting there and wearing tops with 'camerons smile' to raise funds.image

with regards to London marathon i dont really agree with the idea of 'it should be exerienced once'...why? someone could tell you that dangling upside down over the Grand Canyon should be expereinced once...but would you do it?????imageerm.no.