So, what's next

Comments

• Apologies if I came across a little short, was typing on the tiniest keyboard ever. Agreed Martin and Sue have what is pretty much the best outdoors shop in the uk both in terms of stock carried, service given and advice available, I've ordered from them many times and will no doubt do again in the future. Likewise the race itself for me has so much right with it, brilliant service, great people and a brilliant goody bag. The ONLY thing I don't like about the race is the route, it bored the arse off me.

The MCN guys have all the above in terms of service but the route is brilliant, everything from forestry track to single track to sheep tracks
  • imagei cant type on touchphones but am very fast on keyboards....just dont get me started on where Lancashire, Leicestershire and Licolnshire are......

• That's easy, they're north image
  • Lirish wrote (see)
    That's easy, they're north image

Don't you start!!!! image

• What? They are aren't they?
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

They are certainly north of where I am! image

• Lirish wrote (see)
    What? They are aren't they?

I refer my learned colleague to my post on the "Wannabe" thread from yesterday, reproduced below...

So, in the words of the late Max Bygraves, I wanna tell you a story....

I just had a nice chat with the lovely Lou.....

Who explained that she was a bit worried about going to Leicestershire, because she thought it was such a long way away until she Googled it...

Because she thought it was right up north....

Oh, but it gets better....

Because she then said that she'd obviously confused it with somewhere else that began with L - like Lincolnshire or Lancashire.... because isn't one of those far north and to the right, just under Northumberland????

No love, that's Durham, then Yorkshire..... Lancashire is up north and turn left...

Well, what about Lincolnshire?  No lass, that's about 5 miles from where i'm standing...

One small geography lesson and a lot of laughing later - Lou isn't so worried about coming to Leicester image

• You're explaining that to an Irishman living in London, islington is north to me image
  • How do you make it round these ultras?? imageimage

• My compass shows north too image
  • Lmao image does your map say "here be dragons"? image

I reckon we need a group run in the Peak District for all the southerners to brave heading past Watford image (can I just point out I'm not a northerner either image )
  • And I AM a northerner (Mancunian) - I just happen to live in south east London / Kent!

• I feel very sorry for you Debra image nah, seriously though, did you run before you moved? If so, do you miss it?
  • Lirish wrote (see)
    What? They are aren't they?

WiB wrote (see)

They are certainly north of where I am! image

im afraid Rocker im with these 2 lads on this one!..they are oop Norf!!....like you say...anywhere North of Watford or MK is a foreign land.

although my geographical misdemeanours are causing you much mirth my fave directions so far have been at Northants ulrtra. the bit of paper had directions such as ....' turn left by the big clump of trees'.....' after the wooden gate turn right and up the hill'....'on the corner by the fish&chip shop'.....

• See, they're the best directions! No mucking around with grid references! If you can't spot a bloody great chip shop then you know you're in trouble! image
  • imageactually...it was quite hidden....

• Ermmmm.....

Biting my tongue....

Honest I am....

Could you not smell it?!?!?!

• ultrarocker: I didn't run back then (except for running the mile at school and training on a 1.5 mile hilly circuit near home). We lived on the edge of greenbelt and when I go back to visit my parents I really appreciate instant access to hills and being able to quickly be running on lanes/tracks alongside fields .

What I REALLY miss is being just 90 mins from the Lake District. From Manchester, you can get up early, drive up, have an eight-hour walk and drive home, if a day is all you've got.

Although speaking of geographically challenged, I know where Cheshire, Lancashire etc. are, of course, but I still have problems remembering whereabouts Surrey is versus Sussex - I've just about got it sorted because Croydon is sort-of in Surrey and my club is in the Surrey running leagues - so Sussex must be the one further west... Checks a map... Nope, it's further south; the one to the west is Hampshire. Oh well...

• Debra - yes, being 90mins from the Lakes would be heavenly! As would being about 30mins from the Peaks -  I don't think i'd ever have time to work....

I'm saying nothing about the southern counties... couldn't tell them apart at all image

Has to be said though, I've never really fussed about down south, but running with Loula has shown me how beautiful Oxfordshire is, and then seeing the NDW was fantastic, so looking forward to the runs me and her have planned, and NDW50 2013 - i'm getting excited about that and it's 11 months away...

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Come and check out the South Downs and if you go mroe west some great coastal path Rocker...

• I'm actually a very good map reader...and will often use a road atlas rather than SatNav as I trust it more...

Essex, Norfolk & Suffolk is easy to me...but then I live on the bit where Norfolk, Cambridgeshire & Lincolnshire meet...

It's been a long while since I've been to Devon/Cornwall - i'd love to go back one day - so many places, so much running, so little time...

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

My map reading is ok now. Although I so rarely practice it as if I go for a run somewhere new I just go running and figure it out as I go. You can't really get lost, the run just sometimes takes a little longer image

• I'm never lost - just occasionally temporarily misplaced.....image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

but you knew you were in the forest right cragchick?! so you can't be lost... in theory being on an island it is not possible for us to be lost as we can confirm our location to one lump of land image

• getting lost is sometimes kind of nice....you see things you may not have otherwise...discover new routes....

• Exactly Lou, like WiB said, you're never REALLY lost... just sometimes not sure where you are, but you soon work it out...usually by finding somewhere else nice to run...

• You didn't seem quite so zen about it when we ended up in Wales that time, Rocker.