Options

So, what's next

Comments

• Options

I was happy image

I'm just sarcastic image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

By car or on foot Tiago? How do you accidently go to Wales?

I was once trying to run a route from memory without a map on a Lakeland recce... a few guys ran with me and I made one wrong turn that they followed me on. Unfortunately that wrong turn was across a bridge we shouldn't have crossed haha!!! Kept running for a while before it was pointed out we were on the wrong side of the river... one quick river crossing later and we were all back on track though image

• Options

To my great regret, I totally lack a sense of direction. I can generally navigate okay e.g. when walking in the Lake District by a combination of compass direction, map and landmarks, but if I get lost all I can do is try to retrace my steps back to where I was not-lost, and try again.

At the moment I'm REALLY REALLY hoping that the route directions for the Dunstable 20 this Sunday will make sense and be easy to follow once I'm on the route...

• Options
    imageTiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)

You didn't seem quite so zen about it when we ended up in Wales that time, Rocker.

Tiago, i was perfectly calm and serene about the whole thing....we were only a few miles the wrong way and into Wales....ahem

• Options
    Thinking of starting m Winter 100 recce runs on the Ridgeway this weekend if anyone is about?
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

What day Lirish and how far? I dont know if I am doing the race yet but wouldnt mind a run out on the ridgeway, not been there before.

Back onto the 'What's next?' subject... I am doing an unthinkable double next week. A 5k track race on Wednesday followed by a 10k road/trail race on Sunday. I hope the aid stations are well stocked image

• Options

5k? 10k? Is that the gap to the first aid station? image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

When someone first said 5000m to me I assumed that was vertical gain image

In reality its just a couple of speed sessions to throw into my training for the week, would be nice to run them well though.

• Options

Wye Valley Marathan for me this weekend, unfortunately a few rubbish things in my life have conspired to ruin any training, but never mind, it's only 26.2, right?

• Options
    WiB I'm flexible for both days, when would be better for you?
  • Options

You okay Tiago?

And yes, it's only 26.2, will be a breeze... image

• Options

If I can persuade one of my volunteers to use my camera, I might actually run my parkrun tomorrow - I'm doing the Dunstable 20 on Sunday as a training run, so that should be fine (assuming I don't get lost - on the Dunstable run, not the parkrun). Next Saturday I get to run an even shorter one - about 4 k as part of a cross-country relay team!

Tiago: in the TalkUltra podcast that Alistair pointed us to (on the Wanabee thread) there was a great moment where Ian Sharman was saying regarding 100-milers, that it's not like a marathon where you can knock one out every weekend. Then I go on some of the non-ultra threads and people are talking about training for a marathon twice in a year as being too demanding...

• Options

Cheers, Rocker and Debs, just a couple of things that have turned my life upside down, but I think a good trail marathon will be just what I need to take my mind off things - and maybe for a bit longer than usual.

• Options

Debra, you should hear the tales of woe and sacrifice that are circulating in my office from a colleague training for a half-marathon.  You'd think they were training for next year's JOGLEimage.

I am really good at reading road maps and can navigate OK with an OS map.  My trouble is that I get zoned out when I run and I miss turnings a la NDW50 - I like to have a Garmin download of the course to wake me up when this happens.

I think I am going to do the London 2 Brighton 100k as my A race next year, with various marathons and shorter ultras/multi-day events to fit around it.  I was very tempted by Transvulcania, but I will have to see if I can copy with the height before committing to that.  I'll try some Lake District events.

• Options

Rosemary - the fun then is to point out their race distance is about the gap between aid stations on a lot of ultrasimage

I looked at London to Brighton earlier today, it came up in a conversation...then I looked away again when I saw the price!!! I'm making NDW50 the target for next year with Lou, then putting events in around it, a definite for March will be the Grindleford Gallop in the Peak District. Only 22m, but a really fun event, and one I think I can do a LOT better at next year.

Have you seen that the Lakeland 50/100 guys are holding some marathons next year? Might be a good way to get used to that level of climbing? Having said that, if you fancy a hard race then UTPD that I did was 60m, 9000ft of climbing and hardly any flat, just constantly up or down? That starts in Sheffield...

• Options

Lakeland 50/100 is fully booked already- less than a week! May try some of their marathon-length events as well, for the practice. Now looking for volunteer support for my parkrun so I can get away for the first recce runn, in November (that one's intended as an evening run, so it's on the Saturday; thankfully the rest are on Sundays).

Ultrarocker, when's UTPD and where do I find more info. on it? As I said earlier, Lakeland 50 is my "A" race for next year (but I'm not expecting a fast time (!) and I'm doing London marathon since I've got the GFA place, but I'm sure I'll want a few more...

• Options

Rocker, the thing I found slightly off-putting with London 2 Brighton was the fund-raising, but I think this is probably going to be achievable with matched funding from employer etc.  I am going to start rattling my donation page at people in January, before all the pre-London begging bowls come out.  I also like the idea of the 'Guess2Give' website and will do that too.  Basically, you set up a sweepstake, where people guess your time at £3.00 per go and 50p goes into the pot, with most of the rest going to charity.  Closest to your actual finish time wins the pot.   Might be another idea for Abingdon for you guys?

I did see there will be some Lakeland marathons and am just looking at how these fit in with my other events for next year.  I'm not worried about working hard on a course, I am worried about being paralysed by vertigoimage!!!!!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Rosemary - It wasn't long ago I would have considered a half marathon the extreme of human endurance! haha ok, not quite that bad as I have always followed running so knew about marathons etc but seriously, I had only run one half and a few training runs up to 8-10 miles and then someone bet me I couldn't run from London to Brighton so a couple of months later I did! I knew nothing of ultra marathon running, didn't change my training and didn't even eat a thing until mile 40 when I was just sooo hungry!!!

Have learned a lot since then!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Lirish - Missed your previous post. Tomorrow would be the only possibilty for me?

• Options
    WiB I'm amout to head off down there now, I can hold off until tomorrow but I'd need to be down there early as I have plans in the afternoon?
  • Options
    Oi WiB, you need to check back on the thread once you've posted a question ya know!
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Yeah I know sorry dude image I take it you popped down today?

• Options
    No mate, I waited around for a reply for a while then got sidetracked doing other stuff, will try to get down there tomorrow at early o clock
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Anyone race this weekend?!

• Options

Only Lou down the side of a hill image lol!!!

• Options

Not really. Took part in the Dunstable Challenge (20 miles option, actually c. 21 miles), but I intended it as a training run, not as a race. Felt knackered the whole way round, possibly because I'd raced my parkrun the day before and equalled my PB... Also because it was very hot. This was my first self-guided race, so good practice. Sort-of wish I'd gone for the 26-mile option, particularly since it was actually 27 miles or so and therefore technically an ultra, but I'd taken someone else from my club, who was only running the HM, and I couldn't have kept her waiting an extra hour or more. Got a bright red buff as a memento.

Then we went to Whipsnade Zoo for an hour. image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Just dug out my track spikes for a 5k on Wednesday... I am tempted to stick with my trail shoes as they are more comfortable! I don't think I can quite manage a zola budd effort yet.

• Options

WiB - I wasn't sure track spikes were meant to be comfortable? Have you got your handheld bottles ready? Feed stations planned?

• Options
    WiB wrote (see)

Just dug out my track spikes for a 5k on Wednesday... I am tempted to stick with my trail shoes as they are more comfortable! I don't think I can quite manage a zola budd effort yet.

what about crew? image