Rome Marathon 2013

Comments

• Good luck everyone !

...all those roads have lead to Rome
  • OK...who thinks the distance was over?! Lol my watch made it .4 of a mile too long, meaning despite running 9.05 average per mile , I still came in over 4 hrs! :'(image

....and I think I must've had two heads on the train on the way back, the amount of women staring at my legs, and disapproving looks at my foil blanket like I was a tramp! Lol when I got my stop I took the foil off and they could see my medal, they then started smiling at me, hypocrites!
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭

I did 4h06 on my Garmin and 26.68 miles.

excuse that I'd been chasing the high temperature and shivers of flu down all week, and my training was crap lol.

I've never been elbowed or tripped up so much in a marathon, some bits of that route were a bit run down weren't they? Now to find the marathon party, anyone have directions?

the other two tried to find a fountain and got off the train and got straight back on again, the gypsies must be on a day trip!

• Hope people enjoyed it, I had to pull out at 18m when I nearly collapsed with exhaustion. Damn you man flu.

Medical staff were great had me on a drip for 20mins and did some health checks as well. Really should have stayed in bed as any sensible person would have.

No medal, bit gutted about that but worse things happen.

Barcelona 2014 anyone ???!
  • Adg, your Garmin said almost exactly the same as mine...doubt that's uncommen, as my Garmin is always different to the race distance but not by that much! Lol

Bad luck Turkish if its any consolation, my hamstring did a summersult in the first two miles and I was wondering how the hell I was going to survive 26.2! Let alone 26.6....

But I slowed down , took it easy and it settled down. Came in at 4:01.37 (chip time) which was annoying as my Garmin said I was averaging 9:05 a mile.. nicely inside 4 hrs.... :-

I also caught and left behind the official 4 hrs pacer, so what was all that about? God knows what time he did!
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭

they'll say we didn't follow the race line or some other crap, but .5 is a long distance to be out, totally ruined our target time as I'm sure I'd have been there or there abouts.

I was aiming for a sub 4 as well and even sprinted (cough) when I seen what looked like the finish only to see that it was still another k.

My legs are agony now, gave the party a miss and had macdonalds.

Hope all's well Turkish, your health is more important there's always another marathon.

• This was an incredible and amazing first marathon for me! 4:44. I wore the team GB official Olympic vest and had my Union Jack flag with me. All Nationalities seemed to love this and all the visiting Italians wanted pictures with it!

A most wonderful day.

Sorry to hear you had to pull out Turkish. Congratulations for making it so far with a virus on board. Congratulations to you all xx
  • Well done ami! Your first is always going to special, first of many?

Personally I could've just done with being around Christmas time, before injury image

ADG, I was so keen to get to the end I rather foolishly turned on the gas at 21 miles thinking "its only 5 left to do!" ....yeah 5 of rock hard cobbles... crowd support in those last 5 was excellent though, really kept me going, there's no way I would've maintained my pace without a crowd and the mantra 'you can be sore tomorrow, or you can be sorry tomorrow, you chose". Turns out I feel fine today, legs are obviously tired but walking OK image
  • Lardarse, just to say that if I wasn't a runner and I saw a man wrapped in foil, I would probably stare thinking "why is he wearing foil?" Then once I saw the medal I would think "ah he just did maratona di Roma, wow what an achievement" and my puzzled look would change to awe!!

I'm travelling on my own and find this city amazing! I stopped to ask a man for directions. He didn't know but instead of walking on, he stopped a girl who did not know so they asked a party of 3. We all peered over the map and there was a cheer when we found my via! I thanked them in Italian and they all said "prego"

Most museums are closed but the Vatican museum and Pantheon is open so I'm off to explore. Amazingly I'm not too sore! I ran like a snail yesterday, scared I'd aggravate my left foot.

I'm on a high and can't wait for my next marathon and a PB!!

Enjoy Rome xx
  • I'm not convinced about the foil blanket, I'm certain in London you wouldn't get the same looks, take a look at runnersworld.it forum...running doesn't have the same following here. It wasn't just the foil, it was the shorts, people in 'burbs staring at your legs because you're in shorts and its "oh my god ! 12c!" They'd have a fit if they went to a typical British town in winter and saw all the girls walking around in tiny dresses on a freezing friday night!

I'm off to Villa Adriana soon

http://www.villaadriana.beniculturali.it/index.php?it/8/la-villa
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭

time for a tour bus

• I ran in my Union Jack vest and got lots of support along the route. I even had a natter with Amanda TW around the 30km mark.image I ran steady from start to finish keeping the same pace all the time and finished in 4.14. 

Turkish - sorry to hear that you felt ill, hope you feel a lot better today 

• Well I went, I got food poisoning, Ran and had the worst 4 days of my life!!!! (but finished the marathon, after many toilet visits and vomitting sessions and stomach cramps)

Luckily i saw the colesseum on the first day along with a tour bus of other sights! Lost a stone almost in 4 days - not bad going!

Never want to see rome again, or eat Italian food or run a marathon!!!!! Hopefully time will change these opinions.

Glad most people had a good time...... Where is everyone off to next?

• I think its worth a mention that this is the best value marathon with a nice rucksack and T-shirt and great medal along with the usual stuff all for $50

Lardy - how can you say the Colleseum is not impressive - In its day it would be more impressive than any current stadium and its almost 2000 years old! - Almost worth getting food poisioning for! (well perhaps not)

• Paul - well done for managing to finish! I like the Rome medal because it's fairly heavy and not wafer thin. Manchester marathon next stop!

• Well done everyone - I finished in 4.17 in the end so happy with that! Did everyone else almost get tripped up by spectators deciding to wander across the route all the time?!

• kirsty - I nearly ran over a few actually. I just kept on trundling forward. There were some very impatient spectators though!

• Paul, I say not that impressed because there's so little of the innards left, and its not much different in total volume to many other places in ancient Rome, and hell the actual arena floor space is quite small. To be honest I was much more impressed with Asplendos in Turkey, and Side, I think they go on about the colleseum because its an oval rather than a semicircle, a first.

Get down to Ostia Antica, that place blows your mind, far more impressive than the forum, Palatine and colleseum combined. Its a mini Pompeii, which I was going to see, but having visited Ostia Antica I know I can't do Pompeii any sort of justice the time I would have, so that's on a definite to do list!

Like wise Villa Adriana where I went today, the place is huge, this is one mans house, there's rooms there where you could fit a typical English keep inside, just one room!

Molly, where you running with an Italian man? I saw two people in union Jack vests a tall ginger man? And a ahem...petite woman who jabbering away in Italian when I passed them.
  • Interesting Lardy - I will check those out, as i was quite impressed by the colleseum, however i guess my knowledge and ancient rome knowledge is limited.

Do they do marathons there?

• Hope it all went well, I got a PB but the provisional result shows a wrong time, anybody any ideas what this is?
  • Lardy - yes I'm always jabbering and yes I was running with an Italian running club friend. Hey, I've never been described as petite before! that's a lot better than short image I saw the tall ginger man and had a chat with him. He was doing his first ever marathon.

I was helping my friend keep a steady pace...then at 35km he upped a gear and bu**ered off without saying anything image. I was gobsmacked. I carried on at my steady pace and I could see him about 100 yards in front. I carried on and when I got to 41km I started getting near him. Once I'd gone round the final bend, I bombed it down the hill (well I'm sure I didn't but it felt like it) and hurtled like a bat out of hell towards the finish and overtook him. I ended up beating him by 37 seconds and the word "satisfied" comes to mind.

What were you wearing???

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

people wandering across the road, I almost ran into a man with a buggy, a few shouts of get the fuck out of the way and the same in various other languages but he just carried on regardless. Don't think people realise that 20+ miles, we can't stop!

Leave Rome on Wednesday then back via Milan then Paris London Edinburgh.

Edinburgh Marathon for me next. Just hope the legs will have recovered.

• Next for me is a recovery 10k tonight, Parkrun on Saturday and Rivington Marathon on Sunday

• Had a few walkers in the way...should that 'L" be an N?! Lol but my worst one was some nonce pushing a scooter a cross the road, didn't slow me as I just came to back wheels he was going past.

I was dressed in blue shorts with a broad white stripe, blue vest covering a blue technical t. Had blue trainers on too image quite beardy with grey in it and bald image quite inconspicuous really

I do have a union jack vest which I contemplated wearing but its very old now and the white bits are grey, looks very shabby.

I must admit apart from the odd wave and thumbs up at English people I kept to myself, after my hamstring scare in the first two miles I was just trying to keep it together, could've so easily given up and cruised in an hour late image
  • I got a bruised Shin from running into a bike wheel, some Tit ran a crossing pushing a bike, I had this three times 

• My hubby saw a fight break out on route - some idiot crossed in front of a runner and tripped him and the runner went for him - marshalls had to hold them back! He also saw a woman runner get knocked flat onto her back by a random crosser. That was the main down point to the race for me - it's a bit like giving birth in a way - at the time it feels like hell and like it will never end, but once it's over, you forget about the bad bits and the pain pretty quickly!

• I didn't see anything untoward, I think it was a really good atmosphere all through but random bikers are always a problem

• Just back from a brilliant first visit to Rome, few thoughts about the marathon experience. Great value and glad I did it. Organisation could be improved i.e. stop family / friends getting into the baggage area etc., crowded enough and a few more signs at the start.

Poor crowd support compared to other big city marathons like London and Chicago. Near chaos at some of the water stations as where drinks only seemed to available at one side and people diverted across the runners to get to them. I saw a lot of people running without numbers, some joining to run with friends and others who seemed to be just on a jog along the course!

Also agree the comments with the shoppers who just walked out in front of you. My Garmin said 26.7 miles  and the last 2K seemed to take forever but overall enjoyed it.

• My Garmin said 43.3km too (extra 1.1km done) and there was no blue line to follow image

Has anyone managed to see their videos yet??