oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

Comments

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    Blisters wrote (see)

Many diet programmes, much analysis. Clearly no perfect answer. Clearly there are many ways being invented to extract money from desperate people.

We are descendants of the Human Monkey, Homo Erectus, in my case it's on my Mother's side. Studies have looked at the eating patterns and realised that their diet was quite poor. Very occasionally they got a decent meal, such as a nice bit of roadkill. Our bodies developed a superb ability to store fat, because we never knew where our next meal was coming from, or when. In the most recent twinkling of an eye, subsistence has been banished for half the world's population, at about the same time as we became sedentary, and shortly before we discovered type 2 diabetes, along with such euphemisms as thyroid problems. A good dose of hunger now and again works wonders. That 5/2 diet sounds eminently sensible. Personally I adopt a 5/2 exercise programme. No more than 2 days off.

The only perfect answer you'll find is following the laws of thermodynamics, calories in less than calories out, do this and everyone will lose body fat.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭
    oal4n wrote (see)

Blisters.

I'm pretty certain it isn't compulsory to have a photo. 

oh good. because i just saw my race photos and christ almighty, what was I thinking ?

• How cute I'd look in yella ?

Isn't black meant to be slimming ?

Perhaps I should have done a couple more hours on the turbo ?
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

black is slimming, but even photoshop would struggle to sort that image. yet I think Yellow would have had me pulled over for disturbing the onlookers with offensive outfit wearing. 

perhaps, a few months worth would have made a dent but probably should have tried staying away from the fridge more often. its going to be lots of both & fresh air experiences too.

will attempt running in daylight on tarmac tonight - just for you dave image

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

a lot more of this will be the order of the day

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/808017154

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

bloody hell. 1 run, day two of wooden legs with nails in. and now a cold brewing. this is bollox.

• Work with it.

If the cold is on the chest, then the athlete does some rest.

If the cold is in the head, then fuck off outside and snot it out.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    SgtLard wrote (see)

bloody hell. 1 run, day two of wooden legs with nails in. and now a cold brewing. this is bollox.

Get foam rolling

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

and the scales say 'one at a time please'

20st1 or 127.8kg or bmi 35.  in any event they are all less ugly numbers than me.

running is bad over bmi 25 ? sounds like an excuse to me.

eat bugger all, do something you fat sod.

and in other news, legs normal today . cold pending - its not arrived, so it doesnt exist.

bike today. somehow. need to take one with me when im away and get a couple of nights in rather than gym and food.

but 90% of an ironman 70.3 at 20st and not enough work - its all good from here

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

I've got to ask have you ever completed any sort of a triathlon and if not why?

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

Completed one aquathon, got close on my first triathlon

did the first with a twisted ankle gained on the course.  Failed the later for lack of prep, experience and excess baggage

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    SgtLard wrote (see)

Completed one aquathon, got close on my first triathlon

did the first with a twisted ankle gained on the course.  Failed the later for lack of prep, experience and excess baggage

Why not start with a sprint or an oly and get there as part of your preparations? I don't think I've ever come across anyone like you in either real life or on the internet. I can't fault your optimism but the term self sabotage could be written about you. 

• I said why doesn't he come over and do the Bala Oly at the start of September. Decent course and good experience with loads of time to train between now and then
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

Late entry dave?

and close enough that i should kept going and finished in 9hrs and have something to really go at

biggest isue was a lack of realistic prep and managing fluids out of the swim and onto the bike. And not managing the oh

im an all-in kinda idiot. why go short when long is where its at?  And im not keen on bunch cycling.

• I haven't put an entry in yet, granted I didn't enter the 70.3 til 2 weeks before
  • Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Surely your missus would be more receptive if you had shown you were actually capable of finishing something. In everything that you've done my missus would be most pissed off with me wasting money.

• I did 11 or so sprints in my first full year. I didn't see that as a waste of my time,  Gave me confidence really I suppose, to continue.  Had good races, bad races and indifferent races - which are all part of racing really and something most of us just have to deal with!

The Crapfactor!

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• I do a couple of sprints every year,

A) I need one for the club championship

B) it's a blast and I'm home for lunch
  • SgtLard wrote (see)

biggest isue was a lack of realistic prep and managing fluids out of the swim and onto the bike

Jeez the LAST thing I need to worry about when getting out of the swim is whether I've drunk enough !!image

• Simo429 wrote (see)

Surely your missus would be more receptive if you had shown you were actually capable of finishing something. In everything that you've done my missus would be most pissed off with me wasting money.

Totally agree. You've been "training" for 3 years and haven't successfully completed a triathlon and been trying to lose weight and have only lost a stone over that period - not a great success. 

As others have said, just enter an Olympic (or even Sprint) and get a finish under your belt and move on from there. At least you would be able to convince your other half that you are taking it seriously and not just wasting time and money.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

I've been kicking around for the best part of three years. lost 3st, gained 1 back. double pneumonia, two job changes,  80hr week and family illnesses. excuses is a much better name.

not short of confidence - so actually starting a 70.3 was a humbling experience. my original concept was id blip around the bike in 3hrs and yomp the walk. actually crawled around the bike in 4hr20 and the walk would have gone on another 2hrs ( after 1and1/2 for 4miles )

bigger issue was having the OH on board for the journey and not the last stop.-lots of friction and thats not good - so its nice and early this time ; the goal is to be fit, thin, strong and ready so I can finish it next year. OH is on board, loosing the spare timber will have them happy - nothing else. indeed, having them watch london ITU event scared them rather - all a bit fast and bunched up. 

I know I need more road time - a couple of 30+mile rides a week and a bit of swimming whilst skipping snacks,cheese,  junk, takeaway, milk, cheese, and making do with being hungry once or twice a day should see inroads sustained. 

line in the sand declared. hard work starts now. Aim is to loose that stone for the end of July and then loose another by end of august. 

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Hi Srg, you do know that most sprints and olys for us mere mortals are also non drafting so no bunches on the bike?  Not like the ITU races at all. So perhaps worth a thought as a goal for later this year? I'm impressed you showed up and had a crack at it, and now you know what you need to change for next year. If the familly are happy about you losing some timbre , have they got any plans to help with that? Like not having bad foods in the house? Weekly family weigh-ins or something? Just a thought.

• I thought you did the line in the sand, hard work starts now happened months ago ?

You using cut and paste from January ?

( oh and a 30 mile bike ride is a quick after work 90 minutes to shake out the stress of the day....)

And I've managed to lose a stone & half in the time you have supposedly been doing the same since Christmas, and I haven't given up milk, cheese or Guinness., and haven't been hungry once a day.

Just depends how much you want something
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

clearly not wanted it enough by the imperial evidence. enough BS, just going to have to want it more.

never really took to guiness. even in ireland.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    I thought you did the line in the sand, hard work starts now happened months ago ?

You using cut and paste from January ?

( oh and a 30 mile bike ride is a quick after work 90 minutes to shake out the stress of the day....)

And I've managed to lose a stone & half in the time you have supposedly been doing the same since Christmas, and I haven't given up milk, cheese or Guinness., and haven't been hungry once a day.

Just depends how much you want something

I've done 4 and a half stone in the same time as well Dave, I never made any big statements about it, I never told anyone other than my wife when I said lets pack in buying deserts and see how it goes.

• Ah, but Sgt was doing his 70.3 training, do needed to eat more than us
  • I love this thread image

Sgt, you still coming to Outlaw? Help out at feedstation or just bring the missus and show her what it's all about? 

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

ah, but I got to the page on nutrition and got stuck.

so yeah, I know. enough waffle lardy. lets see less of you.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

SgtLard wrote (see)

ah, but I got to the page on nutrition and got stuck.

so yeah, I know. enough waffle lardy. lets see less of you.

Why not tell us your training goals for the week and then we can see how well you stick to it?

For this week my training goals this week

Sunday - long run 16 miles done

Monday - rest day

Tuesday - out with the running club normally 7-8 miles at a 9 minute mile pace

Wednesday - Early morning swim 45 minutes, evening recovery run

Thursday - Long ride 2 hours 30 minutes

Friday Bike to work (16 miles) Swim 45 minutes bike home (16 miles)

Saturday - airsofting so no training