Saturday think about swimming, have pie & chips instead

Sunday. Think about next weeks training

There you are Sgt, done it for you
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

LOL

thanks spartan dave!  image

my other plan :

Mon - pm 20+ miles outside on the bike

Tue - am 1 mile swim / pm 20 mile outside on bike OR run/walk/stagger outside 3-5miles

wed - am 1 mile swim ( 2hr commute PM )

thu - pm 20+ miles outside on bike  ( 2hr commute AM )

fri - am  run outside 2-4 miles ( 2 hr commute PM )

sat - rest

sun - turbo/treadmill for an hour.  ( lots of catching up with home as I'm away all week - unlikely to get away not worth blaming the OH)

and 2lbs+ lard gone never forgotten.

still, its early yet. and the bike might have the wrong sort of wheels on it.

( joking asside, can you fit 23mm tyres onto mavic CP+ rims ?; I'm riding my vintage lemond era steel job - and tyres are currently 19mm and old )

and a day out at outlaw mrs digger : thats a curious idea - one that will work if she can escape later without too much delay

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

2 lbs gone is a net loss of 7000 calories, that's a lot of food you aren't eating

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

it wont be missed. except between transitions.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    So where is that -7000 calories coming from because your exercise doesn't add up to that nowhere near
  • Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Sunday. Think about training
    Monday. Double pie and chips, moan I didn't get time to train
    Tuesday. 15 minutes turbo, stop as garmin wouldn't sync
    Wednesday. Rest
    Thursday. Moan legs are heavy
    Friday. Blame OH for lack of support, walk to curry house

This is a ridiculous comment! No way would he walk to the curry house - they must do home deliveries

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭
    oal4n wrote (see)
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Sunday. Think about training
    Monday. Double pie and chips, moan I didn't get time to train
    Tuesday. 15 minutes turbo, stop as garmin wouldn't sync
    Wednesday. Rest
    Thursday. Moan legs are heavy
    Friday. Blame OH for lack of support, walk to curry house

This is a ridiculous comment! No way would he walk to the curry house - they must do home deliveries

they might, but I'm more a fan of chinese food than indian - and the favourite is not always open.

• How much training have you really been doing ?

I haven't been training for anything recently, but we both went out and ran 7 miles yesterday morning before breakfast, just cos it was a nice morning.
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

from evidence not enough, not tough enough, not long enough, not hard enough, not real  enough. spinning is fine, your hot and sweaty, hrt is in the zone and 2 hrs of monotony later a workout completed but its not anything like being on the road.

lots of blarney though. its mostly on garmin : https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/812084210

srtrada 

https://www.strava.com/activities/330882174

another pile of cack tonight. 10 miles - not 20 as planned.

excuse list :-

late finishing at the office, let getting to hotel, late prepping bike blah blah

technical issues  1 : two under pressure tyres, one crappy pump ( cack handed use thereof by yours truly - two flat tyres )

technical issues 2 : no functional mech at the rear or front ( new bar tape and the ergo levers jammed solid and then kept jamming and had to be freed - knife applied. )

idiot issue : no lights - by the time I got started, I had to be mindful of further technical issues and no lights leaving me stranded in the arse end of Bedfordshire - which is just unforgivable

so, swim in the morning, halford on the way to office : lights, reflective surface, and ride loop starting from the office at closing time for a couple of hours and then drive to hotel and relax.

when i was younger ( and 14st ) I too would just decide to go for a run and stop when i got bored 12+ miles later. now I'm not 14st and I'm a list of excuses and bad habits. 

but enough about me already. I'm just not that interesting as road kill goes.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

Thats very astute simo:

Simo429 wrote (see)
    So where is that -7000 calories coming from because your exercise doesn't add up to that nowhere near

I'm eating too much to make an inroad : fixing that ( 800 calories of crap skipped - smaller, fewer, lesser portions of anything )

• How much training have I been doing?

This has been my periodicity down week. I always knew it was going to be a challenge. I'll list it in reverse order
    Mon: (today) run 10 miles at 8:30 pace,  with 1.5 miles at 6:30 pace. Just fun.
    Sun: Training swim with club. 2250m Effing hard. These were almost all 150m build sets. My pecs were twitching involuntarily afterwards.
    Sat: Early morning lake swim. 2000m. Back by 10am. Family time you see.
    Fri: nil (late work)(annoyed)
    Thu: nil (late work)(annoyed)
    Wed: nil (shopping)
    Tue : nil (recovery)
    Mon: nil (recovery)
    Sunday: Cotswold 113. Middle distance tri. 1.9k swim (39min) 53 mile bike (ave 20mph), 13 mile run (1:51. ave 8:27m/m).
    Sunday evening after the race: 2000m swim training.

In summary: No wife to share the house work. Day job happened to be fairly distant. One teen child at home who still needed feeding, clothes washed and ironed, and generally shepherding.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

so basically, I'm a wuss ( as well as lardy lazy excuse wielding indoor training tech faffing blimp )

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

thinking/wondering if their is a half in september than can be entered somewhere in the UK.

• Tough Love follows!

Book Bala! stop making excuses, do the training and stop eating shite!

Dave & I and probably some others will be there to cheer you over the line!

• P.S. I am qualified to comment, here I am as a 16st "fatlad" myself!

/members/images/767102/Gallery/Capture.JPG

• And it's even closed road for the bike, and the run is fairly flat...
  • Cheese ban.

Grease ban

Chips and fried food ban.

Cake ban

Chocolate ban

Sugar laden drinks ban, including so called sports drinks.

Learn to love pasta, rice, new potatoes, chicken (*optional for veggies), cous cous, fish (*optional for veggies).

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

cheese ban is critical ( i loves me some cheese ) cheese aint loving me back so nil by mouthimage

never been into greaseimage

ditto - chips are only a treat and one that repeats . yuk

cake is cack

chocolate. only small amounts of the dark stuff. daily mail said it works miracles.image

pop gives me nasty gas. so its an OH/Family ban. ( and sports? drinks are basically sugar soaked in water so no loss image)

pastaimage( portion control key - wifey cooks for the masses ) jackets rather than new, chicken ( no pork - its poisoned to keep it pink ), fish, veggies all the way.

i think the bread has to go too.

managed 16.5 miles tonight. loving the outdoors, need to keep pushing though

myfitnasspal tracking accurately. exercise is overstating calories. one day at a time, its all pounds and inches.

• Another 10 miles run tonight, this time it's hills. Legs have that lovely tightness to them now.

• Why not try an Olympic sarge it makes sense then you've got the winter to train to do a half and in finishing the oly you should get the OH on side. I did the Anglesey Sandman last September - odd distances, shorter swim 1000m, longer bike 60km and then a bloody tough run 10km on sand with some dunes thrown in this should be a good test and more realistic fitness wise.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    SgtLard wrote (see)

cheese ban is critical ( i loves me some cheese ) cheese aint loving me back so nil by mouthimage

never been into greaseimage

ditto - chips are only a treat and one that repeats . yuk

cake is cack

chocolate. only small amounts of the dark stuff. daily mail said it works miracles.image

pop gives me nasty gas. so its an OH/Family ban. ( and sports? drinks are basically sugar soaked in water so no loss image)

pastaimage( portion control key - wifey cooks for the masses ) jackets rather than new, chicken ( no pork - its poisoned to keep it pink ), fish, veggies all the way.

i think the bread has to go too.

managed 16.5 miles tonight. loving the outdoors, need to keep pushing though

myfitnasspal tracking accurately. exercise is overstating calories. one day at a time, its all pounds and inches.

Unless you are purely buying pre packaged food or you are weighing you aren't tracking accurately. Have you actually properly calculated your tdee?

• Don't be silly of course he hasn't..

Haven't seen the Bala entry yet
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

tdee ?? target calories  is system calculated at 1740 ( lardy, idle ). but 1000 calrories for an hour and a bit on the bike seems excessive.

its packaged goods as Im away in hotels. labels only. or easy portion ( a % of a label )

need to weight the leek & potato pie this evening as its 'ones home cooking'. lots of portion control weight to be addressed when at home : too easy to fall of the wagon.

bala entered although the 6th is not convenient - school starts again so friction will present. will need to think about the logistics and what have you. make an effort to placate the OH early.

hows everyone feeling today ?

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

not sure how MFP is calculating 1000 calories for an hour on the bike for me its not 1000 calories on there for 2 hours

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

i put in my size (281lb ) and it spits out 1292 calories for the 1hr16 @ 12-14mph. total gonads.  i was editing it to half previously but seriously out of whack.

the duration and speed are of the tech on the bike. the size of the 

huge pain in the arse to measure portions and then guestimate any exercise - making it pointless - tbh just keeping a honest track and busting my ass and using the scale/no longer fitting clothing as the proof. not some useless app.  

the only accurate element is the food label. and I'm not claiming food companies are honest / accurate on the label. but their a damn sight closer than 1292 calories for a gentle ride.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

as ive told you before you are best to ignore calories out, stick to your calorie total it gives you and see where you are at the end of the week, each week weigh yourself and try to do it at the same time each week and try and eat similar amounts on those day.

• Just go to Slimming World. GP referral, free for 12 weeks. Have 2 large men who have started tri, going great guns. Most annoying actually! 

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    MrsDigger aka sicknote wrote (see)

Just go to Slimming World. GP referral, free for 12 weeks. Have 2 large men who have started tri, going great guns. Most annoying actually! 

I just don't think slimming world is sustainable for life, its a diet not a lifestyle change. MFP will allow you to make better calorie choices, yeah you can have a night on the beer, you can have mcdonalds, you can have a kebab but to maintain your weight you have to make sacrifices elsewhere

• Simo429 wrote (see)
    MrsDigger aka sicknote wrote (see)

Just go to Slimming World. GP referral, free for 12 weeks. Have 2 large men who have started tri, going great guns. Most annoying actually! 

I just don't think slimming world is sustainable for life, its a diet not a lifestyle change. MFP will allow you to make better calorie choices, yeah you can have a night on the beer, you can have mcdonalds, you can have a kebab but to maintain your weight you have to make sacrifices elsewhere

I lost 4 stone using weight watchers so would definetly recommend using it/Slimming world to get started. I agree in some respects that WW/SW are 'diets' but once you start to see the weight coming off if gives you so much more enthusiasm to keep it going. It also helps you realise what you are eating and starts to re-train your thinking, so not just a 'fad diet' to lose weight