Speed Endurance for 10k?

Comments

• My performance has been pretty poor post marathon. I think I'm fully recovered from niggles/injuries now and trying to rebuild with some base mileage.

Ive done a couple of very hilly races in the last few weeks and my times were much, slower than the same races last year.

Going to try parkrun in the morning, then I have a 10k  next weekend , which I managed a pb of 40:10 last year. Will be very interesting to see how I perform this time - can't see it being close to 40 mins though.

• Marrows - a mile?  Seriously?  I'm not getting out of bed for that.  My warm-up is longer than a mile.  You must have me mixed up with an actual middle-distance athlete.

Interesting that you think of an obsessive focus on an A-race as a handicap.  Me, I can't train properly unless I'm really focused on achieving something which will mean something to me - PB, beating a friend, whatever.  Whenever I've entered races with a "do it for fun and just get round" attitude, I've always ended up slacking off on the training and then beating myself up afterwards about my shit time.

BP on 14 June mate, come on, you know you want to.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Sub 40 10k on the track tonight! Aberdeen AAC 10,000m - 39:43. Delighted. image
  • Well done CC82! Well deserved and perseverance has paid off! Two PBs you must be over the moon! 

GK - I am hopefully running a mile Sunday. I agree it's very short...It's not going to show me much as I've done no relevant training. However for me, I want to test myself either way, gets me out of work for 2 hours and I got a free entry...

I hoped to target some shorter stuff this track season but don't think it's possible.. 

Injury is better. Ran yesterday for 1st real session for 2 weeks. Have only covered 20 miles in last 17 days 

5 x 900m off 1 minute.. 

Re - Mileage. My yearly / weekly average has been very low although I've seen good gains. But I think 35-40ish is a good figure at least.. Any / much less and I think you miss fundamentals such as LSR..

Having said that everyone responds differently 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

GK - I meant that obsessive focus on running is a handicap for non-running!

• CC - at last!  Congrats.  You worked hard for that one.  

• marrows wrote (see)

non-running

Oh, that.  Huh.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Yeah - pretty pleased with the running in May (and take in the last week of April too, just for fun).

5 races, 5 PBs:

26th April - Aberdeen Parkrun - 19:34 - (no previous 5k time, so it was always going to be a PB.  I always wanted to go sub 20 at the first attempt, so mission accomplished).

10th May - Benromach 10k - 40:18 (previous PB 42:01, so BIG PB)

18th May - Baker Hughes 10k - 40:04 (14 seconds off from just one week earlier)

25th May - Mull of Kintyre HM - 93:42 (previous PB 97:33 - BIG PB)

30th May - Aberdeen AAC 10,000m - 39:44 (no previous PB on the track, but 20 seconds quicker than road PB and first sub 40.  Very happy indeed).

This month, I've got the Fraserburgh 10k on 8th June - hoping to get the road PB under 40 minutes.  It's the last one in a run of 6 races in 7 weeks, so going to give it everything and hopefully smash the previous road PB.

I've then got the Peterhead 5k on 29th June.  Should be capable of taking a chunk out of that Parkrun time.

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭
    Good job there cc82.

Did a session today 2 X 10min tempo with 3 min recovery in between:-

1st 10 min 6:02 pace per mile and then 6:05 for the second 10 min.

So sub 19 min 5k well in my grasp I think, what u guys think?
  • Fantastic month for you CC! I'm hoping for the double track + road sub 40 for you! 

Cliff - I think almost nailed on...

20 minute volume at that pace looks to be nearer 18:30 with right course, conditions etc! When's the race?

First steady run for me in just under 3 weeks. (have done very very low mileage and fitness is going down) 5m at 7m/m pace -  Racing Wednesday is achilles is still ok - 5ish m XC 

• CC - you are testament to the merits of persistence!  Good luck this weekend.

Cliff - hard to see how you can miss sub-19 on the basis of that session.  

Want some advice.  My 10k is on Sat 14th.  Planning to do mile repeats tomorrow, then some fast tempo later in the week.  What about after that?  Is there such a thing as a 10k taper?  Should I still be planning my usual 11-13 miles next weekend?  What is the latest you guys would do a hard session?

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Sogswash, I hope ur right there image

Its on June 15th, its a coastal route so I hope the wind stays away.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Genghis Khan wrote (see)

Want some advice.  My 10k is on Sat 14th.  Planning to do mile repeats tomorrow, then some fast tempo later in the week.  What about after that?  Is there such a thing as a 10k taper?  Should I still be planning my usual 11-13 miles next weekend?  What is the latest you guys would do a hard session?

10 days out is about right for a high volume race pace session so your mile repeats are bang on the money. A tempo on Thursday works well too as it's should be slightly slower than 10k pace. Not sure when you're alluding too for your long run - do you mean this weekend? personally, I'd still do it - it's not a hard workout.

As for next week, yes I'd taper so run easy Monday (optional) and Tuesday, on Weds I'd put a faster than race pace session in to get the legs ticking over - something like 2x 5x 200m @ 5K pace (200m jog between rep; 400m between set) would do the job. rest Thursday, easy Friday with some strides, race Saturday.

Cliff - things looking great for you and just as importantly, you seem to be in the right mindset and full of confidence for it. Pace it well and sub 19 is there i reckon

CC82 - proving patience is a virtue and pays dividends. only just the start of a good summer for you mate.

Scott - as CC has proved, slowly slowly catchy monkey. you'll be back in no time with a bit of patience

Lou - had did parkrun go?

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)
    As for next week, yes I'd taper so run easy Monday (optional) and Tuesday, on Weds I'd put a faster than race pace session in to get the legs ticking over - something like 2x 5x 200m @ 5K pace (200m jog between rep; 400m between set) would do the job. rest Thursday, easy Friday with some strides, race Saturday.

That 2 x 5x200m session is exactly what I did 2 days before my 10,000m race last week.  It definitely worked for me image

Done 2 days before the race rather than 3 days due to limited time between the HM and the 10,000m (Sunday to Friday).

• Much appreciated, Johnas.  All makes good sense and I will probably do as you say.  LR - yes, I phrased that badly, but meant my usual 10-13 miler this coming Saturday or Sunday, i.e. a week before race.  

Race pace intervals went well tonight: 5 x 1 mile, all at 6.18 or 6.19, off 1m45s walk recoveries.   Unfortunately had a false start on the last one due to Garmin failing 200m in, leading to a bit of faffing about before I started the rep again from scratch.  Feel like I could have done the rep OK off the shorter recovery.  But of course thinking you could do something doesn't bring the physiological benefits of actually doing it.  

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Ive got another quality session to do on thursday, looking at doing some 400m reps session to sharpen up a bit before my race, any suggestions on a session with 400m reps? not sure on how many and also recovery ect, thanks image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I'm guessing you're looking for 400m intervals as on Monday you did tempo? As with GK, you're 10 days or so out so i'd be tempted to do 10 x 400m off 90s, aiming for c. 85 seconds per 400m.

An 18:59 5k is about 91 secs per 400m so it's faster than race pace and a good 4k of volume. Depending how you feel during the session, you could always divide it into 2x 5x 400m with 3 mins between sets for some extra recovery.

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Yea looking at doing 400m intervals.

Ok thanks that session sounds good, I will give the 10 x 400m with 90s recovery at that pace a go, ill let you know how it goes. Thanks image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I've got a planned 2 x (5x400m (off 90)), 3 mins between sets today.  10k race on Sunday.  Unfortunately won't be able to do them on the track, so it will be measuring off the watch etc.

Going to be running in the rain for the first time in weeks.

• Johnas - hopefully I'll be back full time soon, patience indeed but it's frustrating - race for me tonight - 5mile off road and that'll be it for the week - 15 miles volume :/

On the 400s I used to do 10-12 x 400 off a minute inside 5km pace - when coming up for a race or parkrun I'd drop to 8...

cc82 - most of my session are run on grass or road - I like itimage - and I like the rain, should make it fun tonight

I'm about 4 weeks out from target 10km and will never be able to get in shape I want to be in time :/ may have to look at different targets

GK- that mile session was solid
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Scott - the thing I've learned over the past couple of months in particular is that there is NO RUSH.

I was a little bit hung up on going sub 40 and wanted to do it NOW so that I could move on to the next milestone.  However, there are years and years and years ahead of me in running.  And hitting sub 40 in March instead of in May of 2014 is just academic.

I would be disappointed to not hit sub 40 this year, but I've only just started really, so the times should keep coming down without too much pain for some time yet.  Staying fit and injury free is really the main thing.

If your target for 4 weeks' time has to be a bit softer than it would have otherwise have been, then so be it.  You've got even more years ahead of you than I do as you're a good bit younger and you're already years ahead of me.  Keep your eye on the long game.

• Great words CC82 thanks! 

I ran well last night in the race, no running till Sunday now just gym today and then 2 days off to recover and focus on that.. My target will be softer hoping to get in a few longer sessions to gauge roughly what that might be! I know the course and it's got a few long inclines so maybe not PB potential even if I was in top shape

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Just did the 400m x 10 with 90sec recovery, very tough session got to admit, and maybe I was trying to go a little bit too quick, avaerage lap time was 80 seconds with the quickest being at 78sec and slowest at 82sec, but overall felt like a very good session, 9km in total with farm up and cool down.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Nice one Cliff. Running them too fast won't be detrimental but as you've seen, they just become more inconsistent. Still, doesn't detract from a great session!
  • Good session there, Cliff.  Don't think I've ever done 400m reps at that pace - maybe at 85s.  78s would be about as fast as I can run!  Still, quite looking forward to cutting loose with my (non-existent) short distance speed on Johnas's 200m reps next week.

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭
    Thanks both, good luck with the 200m reps, let us now how you get on.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Yeah - Cliff, that sounds pretty speedy to me.

My recent 400m session, I was hitting about 88-92 over the course of 10 reps.  Didn't feel fast, but knocking 10 seconds off would have felt like I was going flat out.

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭
    Didnt feel that fast tbh just by the last 2 reps the lactate build up was making it tough, but overall was a very good session
  • Congratulations on the sub 40 CC and good luck to those racing tomorrow.  I've continued with easy base building so no specific 10k training apart from a parkrun last weekend.  I think I was feeling a bit lazy on the day so just ran it at 4:00min/km pace; lost a bit of concentration and dropped a bit of time so finished in 20:09, which may not sound particularly great, but it was very comfortable at that pace.

What this means tomorrow remains to be seen, but the relative ease of the session gives me a bit of confidence that I might not be too far off the pace tomorrow.

• Good luck tomorrow Lou (and any others racing).

Very pleasant 11 miler in the evening sunshine today to make it 37 miles total this week.  Ran the last 5k at LT pace to make up for failing to do a tempo session on Thursday or Friday as planned (I did run on those days but cocked up the logistics so wasn't able to fit a proper tempo block in either one).  

Idea was to chill tonight and watch the England friendly but they've just gone off for bad weather!