Speed Endurance for 10k?

Comments

• No sorry cliff..

1) 10x 400 off 60s - I'd do them all quicker than target 5km pace - maybe do this 2-3 times over next 2 weeks and then get an average- take that average and then knock a few seconds off and do the session you mentioned as an overload

Progression / overload is something I feel can / should be included in training if kept an eye on - otherwise plateau occurs (can occur)
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Cliff - my 5km PB is 15:52 - if I did the 10x 400

I'd take my PB (76s per lap)

And aim to run 5s quicker per 400.. I think when at my fittest I was running them 68/69s which would be inside PB pace
  • You could plug into McMillan (or use a current 3km) time and use that equivalent per lap

So for me 15:52 = 9:00 which is 72s

I also fluctuated between 8 upto 12 reps same pace..

I wasn't fussed on running quicker at that point - it was the speed enduranceimage - I have a host of other sessions geared towards 10km - lots have been posted allready I know ....

My old coach who I've been linking in with said for 10km I don't even need anything less than 800s - 400s every few weeks to sharpen...

Have a new program I'll be following soon..
  • I think you have to look at what the session is to achieve cliff..

For example I did this a while back

2km (3:00) recovery I think

5x400s off 50s

(5:00) between set I think X 2... The 2kms were hard around 5km pace just bit slower and the 400s only slightly faster than 5km pace getting leg speed on but not to crazy.. Running 8km but at a decent clip (5km ish pace)

And 10x400s in the middle - they certainly weren't the same pace as a single 10x400 session image
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all that info Scott, really helpful image

I did this session in the end the other night: 2 x 5 x 1min (60 off) 5 min in between sets

Session went good, the pace i was doing the 1 mins in was 5:25 per mile pace, very happy with this as i did a 8 x 1min (60 off) 7 weeks back and was averaging 6:10 per mile pace. so big improvemnt there, was running the pace how i felt rather than following the watch to pace my self, felt good.

What types of lactate threshold sessions do you do scott and how often?

• I was doing 3 sessions per week..

2 longer ones of 8x1km for example and a shorter one of either hills / 400s and alternating tempo every other week

I never did a huge lactate session so to speak as after my main race I got injured and haven't strung any training together for some time now so sessions I've done are not 100% atm

A few sessions I did when I went up the track were a silly choice and have not helped with it.. I did this once a week...

2 sets of 4x200 off 30s with 10 minutes inbetween -

In hindsight I wouldn't do this in a rush and if targeting 1500/800 would work down the length of reps over more time not 1 week..
  • Well, reading that back that's more of a lactate builder session to be honest rather than working to increase threshold for any volume of time

The two mainstays for 10km I did were 5x1 mile and 3x2 mile later introducing 8x1km
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Thats good, gives me an idea of were i need to get to if I want to get quicker with time image 

At the moment I do 2 sessions per week (quality) so with time I was hoping to incorporate a 3rd run. I saw an article with steve jones a few weeks back which was interesting, ill try find it again and he had his athletes do 5 quality sessions over 2 weeks (1 x tempo, 2 x long intervals, 1 x short intervals and 1 x hills session) with a long run every sunday and then just easy and recovery runs added in between those sessions. 

What was your weekly millage Scott when you were fully fit and running sub 16 for 5K? would you be willing to put up an example of a week you were doing just for me to get an idea.

At the moment im doing 35 miles per week and im increasing it by 10% every 2-3 weeks to avoid injury.

• Yeah no problem cliff

My two highest ever weeks were 50 and a bit. Mainly mid 40s and some lower weeks.. I think (taking out injury weeks and illness I average about 40 miles a week)

In a build upto to a 15:52 5km and 33:00 10km in the same 12 weeks period I was working off 3 hard weeks 1 easy week (volume 25-50% less but intensity the same or drop just a tad)

I only did the same 3 sessions up until the week or two before when I varied a few but it was the 5x1 mile/3x2 mile and 10x400 routine for me and it worked- I'll post a few other sessions I did just as an idea for variance

A regular week for me -

Sunday - 12 miles at 7m/m

Monday - 8 miles at 6:45m/m

Tuesday - 1 mile (3:00) 6x800s (2:00)

Wednesday - 10m at 6:50m/m

Thursday - session - 10 minute tempo (3:00 recovery) 4x 600/400/200 (2:00 between each) 3 minutes between sets

Friday - rest completely

Saturday - 4 x (3x500) (2:00) and 3 min between sets

I was doing strength work Monday and Wednesday (easy running days) and sometimes Friday...

I would stress 3 big sessions is tough, since May my training nosedived and I am injured. Running only 100 mile in May and barely anything this month..

Saturday would have been a smaller volume session or perhaps tempo /parkrun

In the 12wk period block I did, I did a tempo every other week on a set day same distance and same course to gauge (but not race it)
  • Cliff I'm away from my computer but if you didn't know I have my own training thread.. If you have a look back a while on there you can see spreadsheets pics I have uploaded which is how I organised my training and can see a host of stuff I got upto..

I am more than willing to contribute here as my thread is also like my diary too ..
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Ok thanks for sharing that info with me, much appreciated. Yea will have a look for your thread now.

Just need to add bits of your ideas into my training now and hopefully the times will start to drop slowly. 

• No problem..

What might work for me may not work for you though bear that in mind! I keep track of everything I do around running, sessions etc, if I find something is up (over tired, or hitting target times in session, plateau) I can always look back and try work something out / eliminate / add something..

I think keeping the same few sessions at a time for a block works for me as I like to gauge myself, having lots of various sessions is good but I lost track of where my fitness was (however this can be addressed by tempos /parkruns etc which I wasn't doing)

Good luck!

I have less than a week till my 10km race and the last time I even ran over 5miles was 13th of May..

Bit too little too late image
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Yea ok ill bear that in mind, ill keep you informed on how I do.

Good Luck for the race, What time you aiming for with your currently fitness level?

• Unsure cliff, no one has broken 34 minutes in the last 7 years and the guys that have won have ran 32 / 33 mins on flat course the same year and consistent with that..

So I'm guessing it's a minute /90s slower than a flat course so I'd be happy with perhaps to sneak under 35 right now and that would put me in mid 33 shape when fit

My 4m tempo other day was 5:40 pace but I'd like to think I could maybe go 5:3x average..

It's uphill from around 3m to 4.5m though which will really test my fitness so I'm aiming to pace well 1st half
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Ok cool Good luck with it and let us know how you get on image

• Cheers cliff,

A good session tonight - discussion with coach surrounding injury, due treatment and 2nd opinion tomorrow AM

My paces ---

10 minutes easy @7m/m

5x 5 minutes off 90s (averaging near 5:20 pace)

So around 6 mile volume for me

All on grass.. Given a good idea combined with tempo about capabilities at the moment
  • 35:06 in the 10km today!

Pretty chuffed given the course - ran fairly even miles + splits despite that...

Ankles and Achilles seems ok, longest run for 6 weeks so soreness was there.

Onwards and upwards hoping to get into some proper training over next few weeks..

Not sure on mile splits till I upload Garmin tonight
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

So, not been on here much.  Been busy...

Nailed a big PB yesterday at Peterhead 5k.  18:52 for 12th place.  Absolutely delighted!!

Didn't think I was realistically going to go under 19 minutes, but thought there was a slim chance if I could blast the last km and I did exactly that.  Splits were something like 3:52, 3:57, 3:50, 3:43, 3:30.  It couldn't have gone any better.

• Fantastic PB Calum! And that last 1km, what a stormer!!! What's next?
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Well done on those times both of you, brilliant results image wish i could run a 35min 10k lol

Ive just got back from holiday, training ticking over did a 800m x 4 with 2 min rest today, the times were: 2:52, 2:53, 2:52 and 2:55.

With warm up and cool down was 5 mile session in total so happy with that today. 

• Nice to see thread back in action..

And thanks Cliff!

The 800m session seems good although short in volume running wise IMO - although does depend how that speed relates to 5km / 10km pace

I have some new 10km material and in general the sessions are at least 5 mile about WU/WD - I never included that in my mileage too...

Some of the sessions are an increase on what I do allready such as 7x1mile :/

Still not doing full time training due to injury however an increase in mileage is ok at the moment
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Yea the 800m session was fairly short, its one of Greg Mcmillan running sessions, were your pace is 10sec per mile faster than 5k pace over the 800m reps x 4. 

What new 10k material you got?

• I have a program I was lucky to get hold off from my old coach a few weeks back when I was on the IOW. He has asked politely that I don't share it in full. Fair enough. It's Chris Thompson's 10KM 15wk training plan upto when he ran 28:4x 10km 

I have been tailoring it and playing around with some of the sessions and in general this is aimed at 80-100 mile week professional runner but If I start training again soon I will be posting some sessions -  I should be ok with the session volumes, obviously my paces will be different and some of the longer stuff will take building upto but the theme will be there, obviously I can't follow it as he does 9m tempo runs at my 5km pace image .. 

I can post a few sessions so you get an idea of what they are ?? I've not looked at it for a while but will be back on later this evening.. 

And I guess the thread is about improvement for speed endurance so more than 1 person may benefit image 

• 4 X 1KM (90S) 5 X 400 (60S) 4 X 1KM

2 X 2KM (3:00) 1MILE (2:00) 1.2KM

2KM (3:00) 2 X 1KM (90s) 5 x 400 (60s) 2 x 1KM (90s), 2KM
  • Those recoveries are adjusted but not by much...

In general through the program there was no recovery times for a lot....Everything was ran off "half the time of the rep"

So say a mile was done in 4:40 he would have 2-2:20 rest....

There's a few huge volume / tempo sessions in there such as 

3 x 15" 

1 x 24" then 2 x 12" 

• cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing all that info, any short speed sessions on there e.g 300m reps, that you could share? Thanks
  • All 10km related so most of it all long...

I think the quickest session he does is 20 x 1 minute image
  • cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭
    Ok sounds good, any races coming up with you then Scott soon?
  • Meh I would want 6-8 weeks full time hassle free training before classing myself "fit to race" but I have the RR10 #8 next Wednesday and may run it as a tempo effort if I get through this week but wouldn't expect much..

Ideally would like to run the last 3 in the series so I can claim an overall position 7/10 I think but it could be 6/10 which may mean I can wait for the last 2...However the guy leading the series can't run the next one so technically I should / could run and I will / could get at least 1 place better for my overall image

I think the targets in the future could be fell running series on the IOW mid September but time not considering there just getting into proper race shape and main targets either Cabbage patch 10 / GSR / Lordshill 10 on weekends end October / early November - that's basically 15/16 weeks away!

I have a few other races I could do inbetween but wouldn't be tip top.. I don't know how quick I could get fitness back

Lakeside 5km 27th August ...

Gosport 5km 2nd September
  • Been reading through this thread with interest over the last couple of days as I've just registered for my first 10km and hoping to get close to, or just under, the 40 minute mark.

Bit of background: I was a keen middle distance runner during high school, with an 800m PB of 2:06 at age 16. I also did lots of cross country events up until the age of 17 when I got injured and pretty much stopped running completely.

Now at the grand old age of 30 I've decided it's time to lace up the running shoes again! So far I've done a few weeks of easy running only, with a parkrun every other Saturday to see where I am, first one took just over 20 mins and the next two just under 19.

At the moment I'm just trying to build a solid endurance base, this is something completely new to me, when I was running in high school I'd take every session as hard as I possibly could which is probably why I was always better at the shorter stuff but I didn't really understand what I was doing back then, I figured the harder I trained the better I'd be...

My current weekly schedule looks like this:
    Sun - LSR 20km
    Mon - 10km Easy
    Tue - Rest
    Wed - 10km Easy
    Thu - Rest
    Fri - 10km Easy
    Sat - Rest

I'm adding 2km to the LSR each week until I get it up to 24km and keeping the easy runs at half the distance of the LSR, so building up to 60km per week. The plan is to maintain that mileage until it feels comfortable and then start to add in sessions on the Tuesday and Thursday. Already got some great ideas from reading this thread!

I'm using Jack Daniels for pacing my training sessions which has me at 8m/m for easy stuff going off my most recent 5km parkrun, and feels pretty comfortable even during my long runs.

I've just signed up for my first 10km in a little over 3 weeks time, I won't try and taper for it as such, just want to set a time. But hopefully when I get my mileage up and start doing proper sessions I'll be able to contribute to this thread a little more.