IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Comments

• Congrats to everyone who made it to IM this year, Bolton is my home town and I get to run over those beautiful and horrible moors every weekend! I watched the runners outside of Bolton school (the Hogwarts-looking place as you approach the town centre on Chorley New Road.

I'm a runner, through-and-through. Swimming seems to murder me and i've never trusted road bikes. I've finally realised that I want an Iron Man medal and tshirt and am aiming for 2015, so i'll keep an eye on this forum for any tips, although i've been lurking around here for a while and gleaned quite a bit of info.

Anyway, the local rag had a letter from a resident of Belmont, complaining about the graffitti on the road between Rivington and Belmont (the picture accompanying the letter is of the road with 'Smash It Chris!' written over it, lol). The letter ends '...I drove over again on Saturday and caught two groups of people graffitting the road. This is unacceptable and what was even more astonishing was after confronting them....they were middle class"

Thought this was quite funny and worth sharing. Well done again everyone who even made it to the start line, that in itself is an achievement.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

I miss this thread!

How is everyone?

It has been rather nice to get back to normal life for a while, and I have been eating and drinking for Britain this week. Today we went to a National Trust place for a walk and a cream tea - lovely, but very middle-aged! So now it feels as though it's time to put down the G&T and get back to training - and that's what I'm about to do. 

• Just caught up with the race reports  great reading,    well done all,  enjoy Kona to those Hawaii bound & particularly pleased for Joddly from another class of 2010 starter.............I still remember your nerves at that first Swashbuckler image

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Thanks Jaffa - I remember it too. You were a very calming influence while I flapped around cluelessly in transition image

• Nice post Bergy, middle class vandals eh whatever next!...made me chuckle that one! Good luck for 2015.

had a swim yesterday which was nice,but the sea seems to have got a might colder since last dipped!  I have had 2 lie ins this weekend with every intention of getting up early for a run, but alas it wasn't meant to be.   Even said to my wife today that I have no idea how I managed to train for 9 months with maybe just a couple of lie ins in all that time.  She said the one thing I was, was dedicated and that is definitely we hat gt me through the day!

did pop out for a little 4 miler but my knee was not in a happy place, had to walk at endof back to ice and ibelieve for that then!   Need to sort it pretty quick, marathon for me in october so nice to have another target, just hope I can ease knee back ok.

started my race report, bit long winded, fell asleep watching the footsie so will have to wait to finish that one.  Hopefully post it before imuk 2014!

nothing wrong with a g&t jo after your great performance, very well deserved!

• Anyone know if its gonna be on the telly???

• Like most of my reports, it's far too long to split into pieces so I'm posting a link to it instead.  I'll catch up with some of the earlier reports and posts soon!   It's race report time... the story of how I 'accidentally' qualified for the Ironman World Championships in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. Enjoy.

http://rowerunning.co.uk/2013/08/ironman-uk-2013/

• Tylertonka wrote (see)

Anyone know if its gonna be on the telly???

It's on Channel 4 at 6:35am next Sunday morning.

• Mr Funkin, sooperb report  image

I dont know how you actually manage to cycle that long without bike gloves!!  I do realise that you are off the bike a good few hours before me but even so ...  image

#Kona Baby  

• Good to hear everyone is well. I'm still sunning myself in in Menorca for another week enjoying a some R&R and plenty of good food.

I'm still over the moon with my IM experience and will defo do another one next year. I move into the MV 50 category then, so I will aim for a sub 12 hr, which might just give a decent age cat placing.

Well done to the Kona boys and girls, excellent results.

When I get back I will start training for the Chester and Snodonia Marathons, that should keep me ticking over for a while.
  • Just read Funkin's report while munching my yoghurt and granola.

Well done matey. Wonderful stuff!!

• Fantastic reports everyone and massive congratulations to the Kona people. Absolutely amazing. I shall be watching you all on tv in October.

It's reading these race reports that made me enter my first Ironman so beware anyone out there. These reports come with a warningimage

• http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/10606031.Review_of_clean_up_after_Ironman_supporters_scrawl_graffiti_on_roads/?ref=mr

What a berk, comforting to know that not everyone in my hometown takes this event for granted. Thanks again everyone, and well-done!

• Oops, that was done for me........ ha ha ha 

• Will you be saying ha ha ha if the race loses its licence?

Having spray painted roads myself under the nieve assumption that being acceptable on the continent it would be acceptable here I now know how much an impact it has on organisers, the same with dropping litter.

People take out injunctions to try and get races stopped, no really!!!  You only need one cycle hating judge and this sort of thing can be the straw that swings the decision?

• Hope wrote (see)

Just read Funkin's report while scoffing a greasy kebab.

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Will you be saying ha ha ha if the race loses its licence?

Having spray painted roads myself under the nieve assumption that being acceptable on the continent it would be acceptable here I now know how much an impact it has on organisers, the same with dropping litter.

People take out injunctions to try and get races stopped, no really!!!  You only need one cycle hating judge and this sort of thing can be the straw that swings the decision?

Didnt mean to sound quite so high and mighty as the above may come across, just pointing out the potential impact.

The less amunition we give these nimbys the better.

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Hope wrote (see)

Just read Funkin's report while scoffing a greasy kebab.

... I really need to work on my nutrition! 

• Lovely report Mrs F.  Nice to read from a different perspective.

David's a lucky man to have an Iron Widow like you!

• Barlist, the first I knew of the graffiti is when I rode past it, I have no idea who did it, and no wish to, the only reason I know it means me is because my mates are mentioned, the sad lonely man that reported it has actually drove the road and noted how many pieces of road graffiti there are, to be truthful the comments in the local paper(yes I live 4 miles from sheep house lane) give the man a bit of a hard time and if he ventures onto facebook I think he may blush a little.

I wonder of he complained when some motorcylists sprayed the top of the road warning of potholes and the like over winter?

I wonder if he was bothered when Scout road, 1 mile from me got the same treatment for the Horwich triathlon, or even when the tour of Britain went through Ramsbottom and up the Rake, guess what, same treatment for the hill there as well, if happens, it isn't such a big issue, it even happened on the outlaw half if I remember rightly.

The stuff wears away quite quickly, its harmless, and the benefits to Bolon from the Ironman far outweigh a bit of white paint on the road, and due to the graffitti in winter the council actually repaired some of the rod to a decent standard.

There is a line in Good Morning Vietnam that suits the fella complaining..."Never in the history of mankind as someone needed a BJ as much as he does....."

• IronChris68 wrote (see)

There is a line in Good Morning Vietnam that suits the fella complaining..."Never in the history of mankind as someone needed a BJ as much as he does....."

Im totally with you on all your comments, its people like this guy who put down tacks at one event, or placed rocks in the road on a fast down hill at IM Wales resulting is a rider being hospitalised.

Some people just have to much time on their hands and its a shame we cant paint up the roads?  I learnt to my own cost that some powder paint id bought just wasnt as bio-degradeable as I believed, some was still their a year later.

• Cheer barlist, I didn't mean to sound crappy, I've had people complaining to be about the roads being shut because of me.. I give up, maybe if they waddled to the shops instead of driving they may benefit!

Coffee needed today and lots of it!

• Great report Tim, good running as well, need to improve mine 

• Great reading that side of it Mrs. F!  (pass the tissues please!) Hats off to you for All the support you give him, All of the time, All year round!!  image Kona bound!!

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Mr Funkin, sooperb report  image

I dont know how you actually manage to cycle that long without bike gloves!!  I do realise that you are off the bike a good few hours before me but even so ...  image

#Kona Baby  

Ah... bike gloves. I kinda gave up wearing them full stop about three years ago but this year decided to start wearing them in training again.  It's less for comfort and more in case I fall off of my bike - my hands will be much happier if they're covered up.  When I came off my bike a couple of months ago my gloves certainly helped.

Race day is a different story.  I didn't even wear socks on the bike, let alone gloves.  The downside to not wearing socks is that all sorts of fluids have now soaked into my bike shoes rather than being partly absorbed by my socks.  Well... enough about that.

• funkin-6dot-baby wrote (see)

Race day is a different story.  I didn't even wear socks on the bike, let alone gloves.  The downside to not wearing socks is that all sorts of fluids have now soaked into my bike shoes rather than being partly absorbed by my socks.  Well... enough about that.

I wore socks in Switzerland and can vouch for it making not one iota of difference. Have you got the smell of ammonia out yet?! 

• brilliant reports, spent part of today reading funkin's, Mrsfunkin's and tim's. 

• Name change! (from tylertonka!)  done!

race report...struggling!