It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
This is my first post on here, so apologies if I get the etiquette wrong. Anyway, I signed up for Virgin London Triathlon (Olympic Distance) last year, on a bit of a whim, I've been training hard, apart from running as I have an achilles injury (I'll just suck it up and get on with it on the day - not that my physio would agree with this approach). This being my first significant triathalon I have a few questions you might be able to help with.
1) I find it difficult, bordering on impossible, to get my wet suit on without someone to do the zip up for me - is the bike area in transition the best place to put wet suit on before the swim and will others be around and willing to help with the zip bit.
2) How strict are drafting rules likely to be enforced for a competitor who is obviously a beginner, I'm not looking to gain an unfair advantage, but the rules (7 * 3m box around each rider) look fairly strict and I'm concerned that with 400-500 people commencing cycle within about 10 minutes of each other a certain amount of inadvertent drafting is inevitable.
3) With the DLR banning cycles for the day (& me not being able to get a car to event), I was planning on getting train to Greenwich (as I come into Waterloo) & then walking through Greenwich tunnel and cycling to Excel from there - does this seem sensible, I don't know London that well so any better idea's much appreciated
4) I've done quite a bit of swimming in pool, including in my wet suit, but can't get to an open swimming venue, how much different is too a pool - obviously don't get a push off every 25 metres, but I've been trying to avoid a big push at each length in the pool anyway - a time comparison would be very helpful
5) How does transition work, do I have a box (do they supply the box?) of cycling and running kit (ie cycling shoes, gloves, running shoes etc) beside my bike in transition. When I get out water I understand I take my wet suit off straight away & put it in the bag they give me, do I take this to the box (?) beside my bike and leave it there
6) Is my bike spot in transition preallocated according to my race no. or is it first come first servced?
7) Any other advice would be much appreciated