Options

Yet another newbie

I thought it was about time that I got fit and lost a few pounds.

At 43 I've always steered away from running and never been particularly sporty. I used to cycle and go to the gym in my late teens early twenties but then I discovered cars, beer and women.

I looked into running because it's cheaper than buying a decent mountain bike. Once I read about c25k I decided to give it a go.

I've now completed the second run of week 2 and am surprised how much I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been easy but I can already feel the benefits.

The only issue that I can see so far is being able to run often enough. I work a 4 on 4 off shift pattern of 12 hour days and nights. When I'm on nights it's not too bad as I can run when I get up at about 3:00 then have a bath and get ready for work. When I'm on days I'm up at 5:00 am then not back in until 8:00 pm. Then I still have to get a meal and sort sandwiches, etc for the next day. Will it be OK to have a 4 day break from running when I'm on days? That means I will run 4 times in 8 days but have then have 4 off.

Strange part for me is that even on a rest day I am looking forward to the next run image

Andy

Comments

• Options

It might not be ideal, but it'll be okay, especially if you mix up your training runs. This might be useful I guess:

http://takeitinyourstride.co.uk/2012/08/finding-time-to-run/

• Options

Cheers mate.

I will have to try and fit something in but not sure how yet.

Running to or from work is not an option as  I work 21 miles away from home.

Might have to be a much shorter run last thing when I take the dogs out. Not ideal for sleep though I guess.

Andy

• Options

Well I've now completed the first run of week 5 and am feeling the benefits. I did find this one and the last run of week 4 very hard going though. This was probably due to a slight head cold. I had to really force myself to complete the 5 minute runs.

I think getting the pace right may be an issue when running for longer periods for me.

As I feared, I cannot fit any running in when I am on days. I do manage to get 6 runs in on the 12 days inbetween days shifts though so I think it will come good.

Looking forward to tomorrow afternoon so that i can do run 2 of week 5.

Andy