"How Talented Am I" threads >:(

It's in the title really. Can't help but notice new threads every day saying "I've run X miles in Y hours, how good am I" and so on. It's getting annoying.
Doubt it's a coincidence, so what's brought them all out of the woodwork? Is everyone suddenly anxious to get their running approved, post-Olympics, or is it just a co-ordinated spam attack?

Comments

• That kind of thread has been going forever. I remember the guy who ran 5k in 18 mins on training runs along Brighton seafront, dodging cyclists and pedestrians alike. (There was something about leaving a trail of breadcrumbs but I don't think that would have been very credible, what with all the gulls and the like).

• I'm worried that my 2 minutes miles during a marathon aren't good enough. What should I do to improve? image

• lol Rickster...yes, it's annoying. Some bloke on the beginners thread was concerned whether his 25 minute 10k was good enough for him to enter a race. It's been going on forever, and will continue to do so.

Anyway, just off for my Saturday morning easy 36 miler.....back in an hour

• Just Run wrote (see)

lol Rickster...yes, it's annoying. Some bloke on the beginners thread was concerned whether his 25 minute 10k was good enough for him to enter a race. It's been going on forever, and will continue to do so.

Anyway, just off for my Saturday morning easy 36 miler.....back in an hour

Good luck with it. I'm off for my swim from Skegness to Copenhagen and back, then I'm going to watch Last Night Of The Proms on tv.

• You get the same the day after the London Mararthon. "I am going to enter the London Marathon next year ...."

Finish the sentence with any option of your choice.

Followed by ".... the hardest bit is getting in." replies.

The shame is the 'runners' post for about a week before tailing off.

Although there are exceptions, my favourite was the Lazyee Girl Marathon in 18weeks. After many put downs by various forumites, she got round.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Should come in the catagory, 'Threads that make me lose the will to live'. 

🙂

• Why? I think it's a natural question. To the uninitiated how fast is someone like Mo Farah compared to an average runner?

I've run half marathons with people who've thought 2hours was a fast time for a non club runner. Which it probably is, but how would you know?
  • The ones that make me laugh are the non-runners who try to tell you about how good they were when they were younger. I used to work with a bloke who told me that when he was younger he walked 5 miles to school every day, and it used to take him 25 minutes.

I can smell the bovine poo from here. Lol.

• A variation on the theme, and equally annoying, is the "how crap am I" thread that then turns into a long all-about-me thread with the story of one's life etc.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

As a kid of about 12 years of age I noticed that a runner called Emile Puttamens had run 5000m in something like 13 mins something. I did my calculations and realised that this was 4:15 min miling or thereabouts for over 3 miles. I had managed one mile in about 6 minutes. Impossible I thought for normal people. Its a shame more posters are unable to do similar arithmatic. Yes the top runners are fast, even the marathon runners go faster than the majority can sprint.

🙂

• My faves are the ones where, as well as the personal back story, you also get a day by day break down of their training including how they felt.

Sorry about the typing, just doing my one arm pressup routine...

• I used to work with someone who reckoned they biked to work (in a previous job) and it was 15 miles, and took them, oh, about about 15 miutes!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

If only there was a method of measuring how you good you are by allowing you to compare yourself to other people. Possibly get a large group of people together and see who can cover a set distance the fastest... hmmm... 

• Very much depends on the standard of the other people though WiB? Unless a race series between many forumites over several different distances was somehow organised!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Are you suggesting only people on the RW forums run? It may be possible, although highly unlikely I admit, that other people run as well.

I think we could be on to something here though. I like that name for them as well... races. Good work.

• I see a lot of 'Used to' types.. used to play international level rugby, used to run 6 miles in 31 mins every day, used to play hockey / tennis / squash for the county.. blah blah.

Some of these teams must have had loads of people in them! Persons recounting said impressive sporting exploits usually have one thing in common; Homer Simpson physiques.. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I used to talk about races and times to a guy who worked in the same company as I did. He mentioned distances and training runs and all seemed feasible until I showed him a marathon result (2:46). The look on his face. He assumed I'd been making it all up and lying through my teeth like he had been. I never realised how universally accepted bullshit was.

🙂

• LOL @ RicF. That must have been a priceless moment. image

I don't mention my running much at work, cause they're all a bunch of fat peasants who would probably think I was bullshitting if I told them I jogged slowly for 5 miles!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    T.mouse wrote (see)

That kind of thread has been going forever. I remember the guy who ran 5k in 18 mins on training runs along Brighton seafront, dodging cyclists and pedestrians alike. (There was something about leaving a trail of breadcrumbs but I don't think that would have been very credible, what with all the gulls and the like).

That wouldn't be that unbelievable a story for a fit 20 something man.

I'm sure the guy actually said he was running 16mins along the seafront, casually, and in training!

The best one ever was the chap who normally ran 55mins in training for 10k insisting he'd run 30mins one time.

Despite people pointing out how high in the uk rankings that would get him in a race against top runners, he insisted he'd done it on his own, casually in training!

He ignored the garmin gave a strange reading of being still for 24mins, and that his other 9 or 10 runs had all been 55ish mins..

bonkers.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

RWD, yes indeed. I could see the guy was reeling under the shock. I cheered him up hugely a few days later  when I took him several cans of Special Brew. Once again the truth was told. I said I couldn't drink the stuff since I lacked the required ability. Words from an Englishman, music to the Scotsman's ears.

🙂

• We used to call these people 'Walts' in the Army. I think it was after Walter Mitty (Google him) These are the people in the pub who have served in the SAS (Perhaps they have but their always seems to be loads of them) or skydived into  a Taliban stronghold, killed 50 of them with his penknife and strangled 20 with his shoe lace. You get the idea image

• Wow ....I just read that whole article that Pethead posted.

That is extreem cheating image They still don't know how he did though

• What a story  - thanks for the link Pethead

• lardarse wrote (see)

I used to work with someone who reckoned they biked to work (in a previous job) and it was 15 miles, and took them, oh, about about 15 miutes!

A bloke trying to sell me a cycle to work scheme tried to overcome my reluctance to cycle to work. 

I told him I lived 30 miles from my office, he said I would be able to cycle it in about an hour! 

• Pethead: don't do that again; just wasted half an hour at work reading that!

• Wow.  Mitt Romney just needed to speak to Kip Litton!

•  

Pethead wrote (see)

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/06/120806fa_fact_singer?currentPage=all
    This guy's been taking Bullshitting to the extreme!

I can't believe an article was finally published. I remember reading the Let's Run thread a few years ago image