Great North Run 2013

Comments

• It was what was getting me through the last few km, plus the though of the medal!

• For me, it's always about 1) the medal, and 2) whatever food I fancy eating that pops into my head image

• Had my session with the foam roller tonight - wow that hurt - just the easing back with taper had left some of my muscles tight - but not now after the pain.

Fiona - yes I noticed your last split on the tracker was one of your quickest  - I have only ever had one marathon where I have felt good at 35K+ (Edinburgh 2 years ago) and I have to say it is the best feeling when you can still run properly at that stage and through the line. Again brilliantly well done. Is that your first sub 4

Shielsy - agree with you on Gels - I have tried all of them I think and the best for me and the lightest on the stomach (and you definitely do not need water with them) are the IsoGels and the berry is a ggod flavour.

Vixx - well done again and now you have had your little training run you can come to Manchester and run even better!! It would be nice to try and meet you at the start of Manchester.

• Bearsted - I am hoping to be there! image

• Crikey Vixx- I'd forgotten you were doing another one next weekend image. Respect!!  My feet won't be ready for running any great distance for a while yet- the masseuse pointed out my blisters were bleeding yesterday!

• thanks old S-fax lol i fully intend not to eat sandwiches on  route therefore will definitely get  some practice in with the gels during training. 

i  think  the Parkruns now n again  be good but yeah i agree i might k for a couple more low key races image even the word 'races' stresses  out. ridiculos.

sounds like u have earned a rest lol. 

cant believe u r doing another  Vixx-much respect 

• Xl - i just emailed organisers abour kirkley hall 10k on sunday to see if they still hadnumbers available and got email back saying its been cancelled and rescheduled for june, did you know ??
  • OS - Sorry forgot to say well done to you as well on a GFA

• MeShell - I hope to do it. I am waiting to see if the ache in my foot goes away and the lurgy that appears to be looming buggers off! image

• Vixx-still , even the thought gives me the willies! ha. 13.1 is more than enough 4me (thus far) 

• MeShell - there's a wise person on here called XLman. He is the voice of sanity on a thread full of marathon nutters. Listen to him and you won't feel the urge to go furtherimage

• Well done to all the VLM runners brilliant times posted,OS sounds like you crashed into the wall,hope your ok.I was glued to the tv watching and even managed to do a huge ironing pile,so thank you for providing me with the entertainment.

Just back from a blowy 5 miles furthest I've ran this year.
  • MeShell wrote (see)

Vixx-still , even the thought gives me the willies! ha. 13.1 is more than enough 4me (thus far) 

Speaking of which, did any of the other marathoners see the group of East End "ladies" holding up the sign saying "I'm waiting for Dick" just after the Cutty Sark? It made me smile in my oxygen starved state...

• No I didn't OS, but I was so slow in that heat that they must have found him....image

• Blimey OS, sounds like a tough day at the office, but you got the job done anyway. Congratulations! 

Fiona - have I missed your report somewhere? 

Vixx - I was at Fetchpoint until about 4 hours 45 into the main race, then started walking to the pub to catch the stragglers from the sub 3.15 thread before they all drifted off home. I didn't see you go past in either direction. Did you wave?

Ah yes, foam rollers. I'm quite a fan. Much cheaper than a sports massage. And I'm another High 5 gel fan too, but not the Isogels, they're too big. I like the normal ones. Races always provide water to take them with. I expect to get through 4 or 5 of them in the marathon. 

• You just missed me I think as I came past fetchpoint and stopped for hugs with Group 2 (Millie) and that would have been around that time! image

• I'd forgotten you were at the Fetchpoint CC2, although at that point I was keeping my eyes open for my OH at the Stroke association plus I was just getting some early warnings that things weren't going quite as they should. Hope you enjoyed your day, but a shame you couldn't run it.

• I'm impressed that the photos are up already!

• Cc2 - not done a report yet cos on my phone and can't be bothered trying to type the whole thing.

However just for you and Vixx who clearly missed it , I ran 3:59:15 and set the Guinness world record for fastest matsthon dressed as a doctor.

OS - it doesn't sound like you had a great end to the marathon.

bear - first sub 4 and PB by 9:58 .
  • Sorry to hear about your difficulties during the race OS ... sounds like scary stuff.  That's the one thing I worry about doing a marathon at a certain pace rather than just trying to get round ... that my body will go 'No way!' and just give up on me miles from the finish.

RE gels ... they're fab, but I have great difficulty opening the buggers ... trying to tear off that plastic strip across the end with your teeth never works for me ... I always have to have a couple of attempts before I can get enough of an opening to actually get some liquid down my neck.  So much so that for Sunday I'm seriously considering carrying a small pair of nail scissors with me.

Oh, and it's forecast for wind ... what a surprise (not!)  image

• Fiona - I clearly missed a lot yesterday. I am still dehydrated now image

But, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! How awesome is it to hold a Guinness World Record???? image WOW!

• Shielsy- re your gel opening problems.  I always use Lucozade gels and before a race I cut into the tear off off bit til it nearly opens the pouch, then when you tear it with your teeth, it directs the direction of the tear to open the pouch.  I learnt the hard way twice- once it only opened up a pinhole in the pouch and I probably used more energy squeezing and sucking the contents out.  And the other time,  the tear went down the side of the pouch and more gel went over my vest and hands than in my mouth.

• Been a loooong time since I posted but have to say my first London marathon experience on Sunday was brilliant. Never experience crowd and crowd support in a race like that before and I think I will be giving it another go next year. Loved the little things too at the finish, the option for someone to remove the chip as I wouldn't have been able to do that, the fact that you get your medal put on at the finish, .....

Also the prep helped me destroy my previous HM pb Sill on a high, even though the last two miles were full of hamstring cramps (but the pace didn't drop off too much), and I did say as I crossed the line 'Never again'. Maybe I have some unfinished business. Going enjoy my rest week though as although legs aren't too bad I need to ensure I recover properly. Hope the

• Morning all

Just a quickie as I have to leave for work in a moment.

Huge thanks, mr sj - I didn't know about the Kirkley 10k - would have been nice of them to let me know.
    Cheers.

• A World record,Wow thats brilliant Fionaimage

• Shielsy - Yeah no what you mean re: opening IsoGels - quite often end up with gels on the Sunglasses if not careful

• Fiona - she's a record breaker !!!!!!!

Mrtin - amazing running mate, absolutely brilliant

Os - sounds like you had a hard day at the office, still brilliant running well done.

Vixx - yet another mara ticked off, awesome !! Did i read something about another this weekend ? Loony !