Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

one ear a racebelt? my friend advised me to get 1?? 

• Options

any one wear* (stupid kindle)

• Options

just read theyre mainly for triathletes - whats her game, scratch that!  lol 

• Options

Brilliant Fiona! Do you get a certificate and copy of the book when it comes out?

MeShell - I wear a gel belt in a marathon as I need to carry 4 or 5 gels. Sometimes I wear one in a half just to get used to the feel of it. It depends on whether you're ok with holding stuff in your hands when you're running or not. I hate holding anything. 

Nice work Martin, see you next year image

• Options
    CC2 - yes they are sending me a certificate and I've got really great photo from them yesterday so I'll post it when I get on my laptop.

MeShell - I've a gel belt (try start fitness in town) it has space for loads of gels which you won't need for a half but also a pocket which can hold a phone or whatever
  • Options

Fiona - wow, well done on the World Record!  image  I know you're not wanting to write a full report, but how did you find the race?  Any bits where you struggled or were you okay?

Martin - brilliant time!  And I agree - the little touches at the end of London are really great, like having the medal put round your neck by a volunteer, rather just fishing it out of the bottom of your goody bag, and having your bag handed to you off the bus as you approach, lining up for the official photo ... very slick and hassle free.

• Options
    Fiona - congrats on the world record image

I haven't posted on this thread for a while. Bt I have started training. I'm only up to 3 miles at the minute. But definitely feel like I am getting there slowly image
  • Options

Well done Fiona on the World Record and for knocking of a sizable chunk for your PB. imageimage

OS - Sounds like you had a hard time of it towards the end, well done for keeping going and finishing. You still finished much faster than I ever could.

Today is one of those days that I can't wait for tonights run. I just want to get out there and get in at least 4 good miles. I hope that's a good sign and not just a sign of madness.image

• Options

Wow! i've loved reading the last couple of pages - Massive, massive congrats and respect to everyone for completing the marathon.

Fiona - How brilliant that you are now a record holder!!

OS - you well and truly deserve that medal for carrying on - hope you are recovering well.

Vixx - hope the niggle doesn't stop you from doing manchester.

Good to hear from you Martin - i loved those little touches too. I thought VLM would be just like the GNR only on a different course, but it wasn't at all. Its totally different, but just as amazing all at the same time (if you see what I mean!)

Welcome to the thread MeShell - sounds as though you are more than ready for the GNR already. Don't worry about the nerves, just enjoy them - its all part of the fun!

• Options

Not quite sure I am believing what I am seeing with weather forecast for Manchester for Sunday. It is suggesting a sunny day with highs of 14oC. If it turns out like that it would be perfect and so so so different to last year. Just booked a sports massage for Thursday (had to do that as taper madness is telling me I am aching everywhere).

• Options
    Thanks Mandie image I am gunna try 2 turn the nerves into positive vibes over the next couple of months .
  • Options

No Bearsted - no more heat! They said 14C for Sunday, but it was much warmer than that!

Been for a 3 mile walk/run with Salsa - foot doesn't feel too bad but am icing and rolling it over a ball to stretch it out as a precaution.

Mandie - will you be supporting at Manchester? If so, where shall I look out for you? (How are the bunnies?)

How is everyone today?

• Options
    Vixx - I'm thinking of doing a "you" and running at Sunderland on Sunday. Am I crackers?????

My legs are a little sore on downstairs but I've just been for a swim and feel much better. Is salsa running in Sunday?
  • Options
    Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Hi Vixx, I'm good today.  Glad that your foot seems to be improving.

Well done to all the VLM runners.  Fiona, two years running London dressed as a Doctor, that shows "Dedication to be a Record Breaker"!image  OS - well done on perservering and still finishing in a GFA time.

There were a few from my local parkrun that did both Brighton Marathon on 14th and London on 21st with the fastest doing Brighton in 3:07:22 and London in 2:58:56 image

Good luck to those doing Manchester on Sunday.  I am Run Director at parkrun this weekend and then I've got the little matter of a 5K swim on Sunday.  My buildup makes me quite hopeful that I will get under the 30 seconds a length (25m pool!).

• Options
    Bob - useful to hear that others do it. Best of luck with the swim on Sunday .

As for running 2 years in a row dressed like that, once you've done it you know what to expect plus you get a better start.
  • Options

Vixx - I like you do not want it warmer  - but anything better than last year. I do not expect Manchester to be as warm as London and something no more than 13oC would be good

• Options

Fiona - you know however I answer that is not going to make me sound any less crazy! Go for it though - you have nothing to lose by it! Glad you are feeling better after a swim image

I've had a run/walk today and the foot is feeling better. I've just noticed that Manchester has a 6hour limit (I'd got it into my head that it was 6hr 30). image

Bob - a 5km swim! Wow! Is there a specific time limit on that?  Good Luck! image (Wish I could run 26.2 in 2:58:xx)

• Options
    Vixx - me too. Best get your skates on for Sunday. (Metaphorically of course)
  • Options
    Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Vixx, there is no time limit as far as I know.  I think that the Swimathon website nominally states 3 hours but I think that last year there was a 10 year old who did the 5K with her dad in just over 3 hours.  Is the 6 hour limit when the close the roads or when they shut down the finish line?
    Fiona, a lady from our parkrun also did Brighton and London back to back.  Brighton time was just under 4 hours like you and then London was around 4 hours and 8 mins.  Thanks for the best wishes, and good luck if you do enter Sunderland.
    Good luck too to Shielsy and anyone else doing Sunderland on Sunday!

I've got my Mackem shirt ready for my next race of 5 miles in 2 weeks time - I will see if I can post a link to a photo.  The day before that a group of parkrunners are going to Bushy as our park is holding an event that clashes.

• Options

Bearsted - anything above freezing will be a marked improvement on last year! image

Bob - all the best for it! Hopefully a great day will be had by all.

Fiona - had you already applied for Sunderland, or have you managed to get a place? 

• Options
    No entries are still open till the end of the week according to the website
  • Options
    Go for it Fiona you can just run for enjoyment now you have a sub 4. I have found marathons mentally easier after my first sub 4.
  • Options

Ahhh - well GO FOR IT! image

(Never let it be said I don't encourage.....image  )

• Options

OK race report.. 

After an early breakfast of yogurt and 6 slices of toast and jam we were off to Maze Hill Station, which was only one stop on the train and most people had already got off so even had a seat.  Had to be there before 8:45 to be vetted by the Guinness people so plenty time.  Got rid of bag and joined the loo queue then went and stood at the fence to speak to my mum and OH who had come to see me off.  One of the advantages of the green start is that it is small and easy to navigate so no problem getting to start pen.

Feeling pretty calm at that point and just wanted to get going.  Got into pen at about 9:45 and settled in behind the 9 min/mile pacer.  Watched the elite men whizz past at the blue start before we started moving forward.  Over the line at 2 mins...  Decided to stick with the game plan and 9:09, first mile in 9:18 due to a bit of congestion and trying not to go off too fast.  Got into a nice rhythm and settled down.  First 6 miles a bit warm but otherwise fine.  Saw family at 6 miles just before  Cutty Sark which was great and then just tried to focus on taking it easy.  Miles 6-10 were uneventful  but plenty of support from the spectators.  Onto Tower Bridge and the noise was deafening.  Still a good pace and comfortably through half way. Saw Richard Whitehead somewhere along this bit.  It was beginning to get narrower and people were starting to slow which was making it a bit tricky to keep the pace and I knew if I slowed that I would never pick it up again.  Through 16 miles and still feeling not too bad although legs were tiring.   By 17 miles it seemed that they were getting further apart, but I knew I was on target so just kept going.  18 miles seemed to never come and I decided that I would take my 20 mile gel at 19 and then my emergency gel at 22 just to make sure.  Started just counting off the miles and focusing on the next one.  I’ve never run a whole marathon before but had to if I wanted that record.  Kept going through 19, had the gel.  Onto 20,21, 22, people going the other way were walking, I’m still running many more walking on my side too.  Lots seemed to be pulling up with cramp.  My legs are really beginning to feel it, BUT I’M NOT GOING TO STOP.  22-24 went on in a similar fashion.  Mile 24 through the tunnel and up that hill and it didn’t seem quite so bad this time.  Around and into 25 miles, saw Colin Jackson and thought he better not stop me, I’ve only got 15 minutes to do 1 miles and 385 yards.  Thinking to myself, how much is that... 1 mile is 9 minutes and then that means  6 mins to do the rest, is that possible?????  My brain couldn’t remember that it is 0.2 miles by then.  Turn the corner and see the 800m sign.  I’m going to do it if I keep the pace.  Decided I needed both arms free to keep the pace so chucked my water bottle and off I went.  Damn sure I wasn’t going to miss this now.  Through the finish.  I’VE DONE IT!  Run the whole thing and set a record. 

Hobble round to meet my family and then onto the HeartUK reception thingy.  Gobbled down a fabulous sandwich, changed and then of to Harrods for a spot of window shopping.  Negotiated several sets of stairs both up and down getting there and then back to Greenwich, but I now have a Harrods carrier bag too.

• Options

OS - how did you manage to get that photo uploaded the other day.  I can't get it to do that today.

• Options

Just in case you wondered what you needed to wear this record for when you try to break it. image

/members/images/380569/gallery/Fastest_marathon_in_doctor_s_uniform_(female)_(4)compressed_1.jpg

• Options

PS OS managed to sort it.

• Options
    Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Great report & photo Fiona.

• Options

Well done Fiona - fantastic race report.

• Options

Well done Fiona on the world record and a very evenly run race too. And a hefty PB- a good day out for you!

MeShell- belts are useful for holding gels.  I use a SiS (science in sport) belt which takes 6 or 8 gels plus has a zipped pocket for small items (I always keep loo paper in it- just in case!): http://www.scienceinsport.com/search/?searchterm=belt&searchterm_submit.x=0&searchterm_submit.y=0

I'll try to write a race report tomorrow...