Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Fiona - you'll be great! As will Shielsy image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hi guys image  I'm doing my first GNR this year, so wanted to barge in on this thread!  

Also doing the half marathon at Sunderland tomorrow, very excited now - I'm just putting all my kit together for it and getting butterflies.  Good luck to all the marathoners tomorrow image

• This is a flying visit from me as I'm not sure what chance I will get between now and tomorrow to wish everyone Good Luck.

For everyone running Sunderland/Manchester marathons - Have a fantastic race, I'm looking forward to reading all the race reports and seeing lots of pbs.

Fiona/Vixx - don't be doing anything too daft (not that running 2 marathons in 2 weeks is daft enough!) - just relax and enjoy!

For those in Sunderland - Do our Mick proud!

Bob - good luck for your swim - hope you enjoy it, if thats at all possible!

For those I haven't mentioned, I'm sorry. I've not been able to keep up properly with the thread over the last few weeks. My mum is still in hospital (hoping she'll be home by mid week, next week, but I remember saying that last week too!!) and I just dont seem to have time these days to just sit down and relax. My life at the moment consists of work/hopsital visits/walking the dog/work at the kennels/sleep so I'm shattered to say the least.

• thanks Vixx Gud luck in ur run hope the wind keeps off 

• ahhh ignore my duplicate posts i have no idea why this is happening...

• MeShell - r u using an iPhone? Cos if you are and refresh the page it will duplicate the last post.

• Woohooo image

Blaydon number, 316, picked up today.
    Always a good feeling.

Good luck to everyone doing silly things tomorrow image

Bit breezy on the town moor for the parkrun, so very pleased with 21:32.
    Well done to Pengwyn on another cracking run, in tough conditions. Really hoping the weather gods are kinder to you next week so you can bring up the 50th in style.

• MeShell - good running great time well done

• Good luck to Fiona ands Shielsy at Sunderland and Vixx at Manchester with me.

• Shielsy - i'll try and spot you at the start if I can. I'm in a dilemma about what to wear as it seems to have turned cold again.

• fiona im using a kindle and its annoying the life outta me,lol.

BP -thank u it was  nice to get one in. good luck tomoz

• Congratulations on your maiden parkrun, MeShell - you've certainly started in style.

• cheers XL onwards n upwards hopefully image looking good. whats the town run like? hilly? 

• No, it's pretty flat.
    A gentle uphill incline across the moor at the start, but then a right turn along Grandstand Road, downhill to the gate back onto the moor, then it's all flat, (though a little uneven on gravel/dirt track to just short of 4km. There is another slight uphill for a short while, but then the finish is all going back down the same slope you came up at the start. It's a good quick course, unless the wind is blowing.

The wind blows only on Saturdays when there is a vowel in the month image

• XL - it has to be said that hill is more noticeable when you trying to race and definitely when also a headwind.

• haha sounds better than saltwell, its got thr same hill in four times , hey ho ... might have to give the town moor one a whirl at some point. image 

btw, im trying my best to upload a pic with no joy, keep clicking on image but doesnt help... any advice?

• All the very best of luck to Vixx, BP, Fiona - oh, and me - on our marathons tomorrow.

It's been pretty windy and cold today, despite the beautiful sunshine.  The weather has been so weird and changeable lately that it's anyone's guess what the conditions are going to be like tomorrow.

I don't have high hopes for a good time, I just want to crack on with it now, get it over with, and start on the champagne that's been patiently sitting in my fridge since Christmas.  I have no idea how I've managed to go 4 months without drinking it!

• Hope im not too late but all the best for our marathoners tomorrow, you crazy crazy fools !

• MeShell - I think they check your avatar before it us allowed so it might appear in a day or too (at least that used to be what happened)

• Good luck to the marathoners- Shielsy, just think of the fizz during the hard parts.  Vixx and Fiona- there's no way I could consider another marathon this weekend.  My quads were sore enough (and heavy) after our parkrun this morning.  Bearsted- enjoy the race!

I've just noticed that the font seems to be a better size now image.

• Up and never felt so nervous - what's all this about - can only think that had such a good traing schedule panicking don't turn it into a good run

• Bear - if you've had a good run of training then you will be fine.

• Good luck to all our marathon runners today. Will be thinking of you. I hoep you have the run you are hoping for.

I'm off for a steady 6 miler soon.

Good running to all our non-racers today, too.

• Good luck to everyone running marathons this weekend - hope the wind stays behind you all the way. To those of you running a second since London - I am in awe of you and also slightly worried about your mental health image Hope you all have lovely treats lined up for the end!

Well done Fiona on your World Record! Fuddle junior didn't get up in time yesterday, but she wanted to run Parkrun so she could tell everyone at school that she ran with a World Record holder! High praise indeed as she never wants to do Parkrun!

Hope everyone else has a good day. We're off to watch some International Fencing ( Fuddle jnr's sport of choice) at Gateshead Stadium. Open to all if you fancy coming to find out a bit more about it!

• Just back from a nice 9.3 miler along the coast, incredibly blustery out there yet again, made running hard work.  Hope weather is perfect to all our runners and racers today

• Hello all image Apologies for butting in - and apologies if this has been covered already (it's a long thread!) - but has anyone camped before the GNR before? I haven't got any accommodation yet, and given the extortionate hotel prices for that weekend I was thinking perhaps one of the campsites would be a good idea. But I can't decide whether it's an insane idea or not! Any advice welcome. It's my first GNR, and first HM (I'm starting from scratch), so I'm pretty nervous about it all. 

• Hi Michelle J, my first HM and GNR too, nerves r my middle name. image we will b fine all these lovely ppl have eassured me and feeling pretty positive (at the min hha)

As for camping? hve little 2offer as never done it o hopefully these guys may be able to help more.

Hope all runners r feeling fresh and healthy 2day and hve hd agood run. must say I don't know how some of u r running ur 2nd marathon in a week lol - RESPECT! My legs r aching following the Ghead parkrun!!! Lol 

• No need for apology, Michelle.
    Welcome to the thread.

I'm not certain, but I have a vague memory of Blaydon Rugby Club offering camping on their site in previous years. Like-minded folk to share the experience, and breakfast too, if memory serves. Might be worth checking out.

I think lots of folk on here started from scratch for this event, so you're in good company. It was the start of my running adventure in 2002. A friend and I, (in our mid-forties and late-thirties then) went from non-runners in February, to Great North Runners that October. Do it steadily and sensibly, and you'll be great.

• Hello, MeShell - that'll be those Gateshead hills in your legs. Get yourself to the moor next Saturday image

Six steady miles for me this morning. A bit chilly, but good to get them done.