Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Russell - great run and PB

shielsy - wow great PB and yes you should be proud

Mandie good to hear the running is coming good again

• Morning everyone - it's a beautiful (and yes, still windy) day up here in South Tyneside.

Sadly I'm feeling quite rotten - I think the curry last night has given me food poisoning as I'm feeling terribly nauseous and my stomach is turning cartwheels.  So I can't see me venturing any further than the bedroom and bathroom image.

However, at least it means I can avoid attempting stairs.

• Oh Shielsy,Hope your feeling better soon. Are you walking like cardboard cutout this morning?

• Morning everyone

Spongecake - cheers for the heads up, will take a look.  Really need to get out on the bike soon but with the wind and rain recently i just havent had a chance

Shielsey - i didnt realise it was a pb !! Fantastic well done and thats what you call smashing a pb !! I notice viv said on fb that she measured the course at exactly 26.2 using a foot pod and if that was properly set up i would say the distance was spot on, garmins are always a bit out.

Have a well deserved day lying on the settee watching telly image

Russell - excellent running mate, well done

Cc2 - congrats on swimming e river trent and leaping over houses, ypu're turning into superwomenimage

See people are already dropping TR24 into their posts ! Is it time for us to start getting excited again ??

• spongecake wrote (see)

Oh Shielsy,Hope your feeling better soon. Are you walking like cardboard cutout this morning?

No, surprisingly my regular sprints to the bathroom are keeping my muscles nice and limber.

However, I've finally been sick, and feel a lot better now (the waiting to be sick is always the worst, isn't it?)

• Hope you fully better soon Shielsy

• Shielsey - dont forget the ballot for london opens today image

• Awww Shielsy - sorry to hear you are poorly image I hope you will be on the mend now you have been sick. image

mr sj - it's never too early to get excited for TR24 image

Have entered the VLM ballot - as has Salsa, which she 'did' whilst asleep and unconscious..... image

• CRAZY - ive just entered VLM 2014 ballot too image ... 

• hope u feel better soon Shielsy

• Finally finished reading back.

Well done to Fiona and Shielsy (get well soon) for running the Sunderland Marathon and to Russell, Vixx and Bearsted for running the Manchester one. Some fantastic times, the likes of which I will never hope to achieve.

Bob - well done with the swim. image

I too have managed to sign up for a reject mag.

• I too have entered the ballot.

Shielsy - hope you feel better soon.

Mandie - that all sounds very useful.

Russell - well done on the new PB

Vixx - that's a huge margin.  I've just emailed the results people too.  They have my chip and finish time identical (I wasn't toeing the start line) and my watch said 3:52:31 so I think there may be a mistake, but we'll see.

I did wonder if all the out and back sections might have played havoc with the signal.  There were several sections where we doubled back on ourselves and as has been said the GPS reading is only taken every so often so I suppose it could have just missed those bits out.

CC2 - impressive, I didn't know you could incorporate a swim into your races - a new challenge a bit like a triathon maybe. image

• MeShell - are we to blame for this rash move?

• Never one to be missed out, have just tried to enter ballot, but sadly it's already closedimage  Guess that's one way of telling me not to be so silly.....Maybe the ballot next year!

Hope you are feeling better soon Shielsy.  After your fantastic race report I think I might give the Sunderland Marathon a miss, can't do wind at all and out and backs would just mess with my head too much!  Did you drink your champagne? I hope so as you did bloody well and it was very well deserved.

I have my Blaydon number now, so have that to look forward to! 

• Fiona- well,  i have always wanted 2do it just 4the experience - have a tick sheet, tht n GNR r on it... however, yes have done it yet lol (would probs have kept putting it off) so THANK u all lol... 

• hope u feel better soon Shielsy

• MeShell - if you are only going to do one for the whole experience it is probably the one to do.  I wouldn't recommend The Marathon of the North for that.  Spectator support was pretty slim and once the rain came on there was not a sole, except the hardy marshals.

• yea Fiona, defs only doing 1 marathon. also, it would give me direction as once GNR is over l'll probably feel a little lost. yea can imagine LM is way better. imagine running a marathon in the rain with no support, urghh TAXI lol. u did fab tho, again.

• Well I left it too late to enter VLM. Wasn't going to even consider it this year but Steve has just text me from work to ask me to enter us both - oops! (Mind you, after the last few winters I dont really fancy the training tbh)

• Afternoon all image. Haven't been in here about like two years or something having met Shielsy again at Marathon of the North, thought I'd make a reappearance. I didn't do anywhere near as well as Shielsy, finishing in 4:41:49, but she told you all about the wind and hills - and to add to that I had to hobble the last 8 miles due to a sudden pain in my left hamstring which wouldn't go away. I felt sick as well image. But, a PB is a PB, even if its only 1 min 3 secs! I really think we should club together and present Shielsy  a new Jedward mug, as she smashed hers yesterday morning before the race! 

Hope you're feeling better today Shielsy, I am feeling a bit under the weather and reckon I'm coming shown with a cold - boo. Though nothing can be as bad as the norovirus I had a couple of weeks ago!imageimage

I thought of Mick the Mackem whilst running along the sea front yesterday - he would have said the wind was 'character building'! I remember seeing him there on the first Sunderland 10K, which I think was 2009. 

Oh, I have also entered the VLM ballot - 2:30am when I had to get up to go to the loo! fill was full by 12:30 today! image

• Thanks for the 'Get Wells'.  I still feel awful, but I think I'm through the worst of it.  Scared to eat though, which is exactly what I need to do after yesterday.

Muckers Fuddle - I only had one glass of champagne, I just wasn't in the mood image.  I'm sure the Marathon of the North won't always be so windy - apparently it was glorious last year.  And I quite enjoyed the out and backs as I got to see a fair few people I knew (mostly ahead of me!)  Blaydon is great though, you must come and find us lot at the start and say Hi.

Great to see you at the start, RtG.  It's funny, we can go for years without seeing people from our little running family, but when we meet up it's like it's just been weeks. Congrats on the pb and hard lines about the hamstring.  I saw a fair few people in the later miles keep having to stop and stretch out on the roadside.  It must be a nightmare.  I'm usually really lucky in that I haven't so far *touches wood* picked up any injuries mid race, with me my legs just get slower and slower and slower.

Allthough a curious thing happened at about mile 17 and then again at about 21 ... my right foot seemed to just go 'dead' like it was asleep or something.  And then my toes in my right foot involuntarily started to clench inwards for a few seconds, with a weird sensation going up my right calf. I just thought 'What the hell?' but after a while it went away.  So I just thought 'Flipping finish before it happens again!'

I too, thought of Mick yesterday - he'd have loved running this marathon wouldn't he?  I also remember him cheering me on during the Great Women's Run in Sunderland a few years back.

• Hi RTG - its just great to 'see' you on here again. Congrats on finishing yesterday and on getting your PB, despite the hurting. Hope you are feeling much better soon.

• Hi folks.

Lovely to see RtG again. Not sure we need to know that you filled your loo by 12:30 though image

I'm in favour of the Jedward mug collection on the understanding that it's smashed on the morning of Shielsy's next marathon. I hope the sickness is passing quickly.

Hi, Mandie. No intention of entering VLM? Are you finally coming to your senses ? image

• Hey, if Jedward-mug-smashing guarantees Shielsy a PB, we'd better buy a few image

Hi RtG, evening XL image

Hi Mandie image

Hope you are feeling better Shielsy image

• Evening XL/Vixx.

XL - Yes, I'd like to think my marathon days are over........but never say never image

Vixx - are you still on cloud 9? 

• Hi Vixx, how are you feeling today?

Hello Mandie - are you going to take the same "get in" clause that I have then? image

• Wow this thread is active! Hello everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

MeShell - hi! Nice to hear from another first timer. Sounds like you're a fair bit ahead of me now.

XL - when I say I'm starting from scratch, I mean scratch - I attempted my first run at the end of last week, and I'm very much at the walk - run - walk - walk some more - run stage! Hoping the GNR will be the start of many races to come though image

Roball - thanks v much for the link, will check it out now. I think realistically camping is out - the more I thought about it the more it seemed like a crazy idea - I need my sleep! So it's Durham or otherwise living it up at the Hilton Airport it looks like image

Very inspiring lurking in here anyway - I'm off out for a run! 

• Hi XL/Mandie - I am good thank you. Mentally tired more than anything (no physical aches/pains) and am looking at.... marathons..... image (Loch Ness, and maybe Amsterdam in October - I made a plan that I wasn't going to waste this year whilst I wait for the NHS, and I am trying to live by that philosophy).

Hope you have a good run MichelleJ image

• Good for you Vixx.

XL - sounds like a good plan to me!

MichelleJ - enjoy your run - one of the many things you will find on here is inspiration! Before you book Durham tho, have a nosey at Newcastle University on the Nirvana website - its walking distance to the start and if you just use the metro back after the race you will save on race transfers.

http://www.nirvanaeurope.com/book-online/accommodation

They only have limited options left but its another option for you.