Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Good luck bearsted, im increasing the speed training and looking at a crack at my pb (42:44) in a couple of weeks, really want to go sub 42

• I too am increasing the speed training - well in a week or so. I am also planning an assault on my 10K time, although whether my legs will allow me, I don't know image

• Fiona - is this the same person who did not know whether she would complete Marathon of North after London and then set another big PB - you will fly it - what is your current PB

• Bear - not so sure as legs are not unsurprisingly feeling a little tired.  My PB is 49:23 which I set a couple of years ago.  That course has rather a lot of hills with lots of downhill as well as up so I think I can do better on a flatter course, but that time is probably pretty much in keeping with my HM time.

• What 10k are you looking at doing fiona ? Clive cookson is a great one in a couple of weeks time?

• Glad to hear it ! Will see you there

• Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Cracking running from both Young and Old Shadowfax.

I did my second run of the weekend in a MTM tribute shirt.  It was the local 5 mile fun run that was the first race I entered back in 2007.  As I have not been running that much recently I was not going for a time and I chose to run with a lady that I know from parkrun.  I was going at the pace I that I felt she was setting and when she slowed down for a drink or a slight up incline I slowed to allow her the break and to catch up.  It was her first time on that route, but being a local she was aware of the hills later in the route, and so when we passed the 3 mile mark at a pace that would have been a parkrun PB for her she said that I should press on at the start of the first hill.  Up to that point I was exchanging banter with fellow runners and marshals along the route and it reminded me of why I love running and entering races.  I ended up about 2 minutes and 10 seconds ahead of the lady from parkrun.  There were many comments about the Mackem shirt and I got to tell people just what a nice bloke Mick was and the reason for wearing the shirt.

Below is a link of a photo of me approaching the finish, with my hair stuck down after squeezing a sponge over my head at the 3.5 mile water station.
    http://gallery.sussexsportphotography.com/a.tlx?l=OxSjOi3q&pictureid=16796657761
    I am just about to give Shane Richie a high five as he was there to "pass comment" on the runners as they finished (he thought my shirt was a local one from Redhill! https://plus.google.com/110719700419409386159/photos?hl=en) and then give out the prizes for the 5 mile run.

Then, later on Sunday, I saw that the seven of us that went to Bushy Park parkrun got a fair old mention in their run report.  I have to admit that they really do put a lot into the run report but it is padded with plenty of pictures.  Sheilsy, I did not reply to your question about the "cradle of parkrun" as I saw that XL had beaten me to it!
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/bushy/news/

• Bob - how did your swim go? Did I miss that in my marathon-induced stupor?

• Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Hi Vixx,
    I did report on it!  I think that you may have been in a stupor having just run your marathon PB! image
    I was really pleased with my time as I had set myself a goal of swimming the 200 lengths in under 100 minutes to average under 30 seconds per 25 metre length and I managed to get under 96 minutes which gave me and average time of under 29 seconds a length. image  I did have to battle cramp from fully forming in my legs for the last 60 to 70 lengths.  I got a "golf ball sized" knot of cramp in my right leg just below the back of the knee that lasted about 50 lengths but I was able to ignore that. I got full blown cramp in my left calf with 5 lenghts to go as I was about to overtake a slower swimmer in the lane and I changed the way I turned to say "thanks" to him as I turned.  I had to say to him to go on as I had to sort out the cramp before I continued - only took less than 10 seconds.  I could feel those areas of my legs for about three days afterwards.  For the last four turns I was trying to keep my legs as straight as possible to stop any more cramps from forming!  The only "down side" was that the organisers of the Swimathon at our pool "FUBAR-ed" and handed out the 5K medals, for individual 5K swimmers, to people completing the team 5K the day before, so I have yet to have the official medal.  They have adimitted their cock up and are trying to get us the proper medals.  I have also had Swimathon say they will send me the correct medal, but I expect they are waiting for the results to be submitted, which I have not seen yet!

• spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭

Cracking pic Bob,lets hope the tribute shirt helps to keep them up aswell,MTM would be honoured.The cramps sound horrible. Shame about the cockup with the medals.

Ive managed a few more runs over the weekend,running mojo is hard to find but I'm sure if I keep looking it will appear somewhere.

Hope everyone is fit and well,Havent been on much as my phone has stopped letting me post on RW for some strange reason.

• What a fantastic photo, Bob!

• Nice action shot Bob image  And great swimming too! Will you be on a bike next? image

I might need a triathlon coach image

Hi Mandie! Hi Spongecake! image

• Hi All,

Will be coming from Birmingham for the GNR and planning on coming up on Saturday. Sorry if this has already been asked but - those of you who are travelling there, where are you planning on staying (I am really late booking accom, I know) and where are your spectators positioning themselves along the route - is there a good place other than finish line?

Only even done the Bham half and of course I know all the good places to watch as know the route well, but lost for the GNR. I once went up to watch it and waited at South Shields for my friends to finish but it was so busy - any suggestions for my boyfriend to hand around would be much appreciated!

• Hi Cassie - are you driving or using the train to get to GNR?

• Thanks Bearsted image 

Vixx, driving from Birmingham hoping to stay overnight in the area and leave on Sunday after the race driving home. I can't find anywhere nearby and decent for less than 2 nights stay and £400. Am annoyed with myself for forgetting to book accom earlier!

• Hello all,

I have a charity place for the GNR and very excited. I have been buiding up with a 5k then 10k although I am still pretty new to running.

Does anybody know if RW have pacers at the race?

• Cassie - best thing to do would be to try Nirvana as they do accommodation at the University and you can stay just the one night. Most hotels make it a two night stay as a minimum and the B&Bs in South Shields always seem to be booked up a couple of years in advance (probably due to the Bond scheme).

Alternatively you could look and see if anyone is renting out an apartment for the night - I know one of my friends managed to get an apartment one year for the Saturday night only in the City Centre.

One of the 'locals' might be able to help with accommodation ideas too. I'm boring and stay in the same place each year!

• Bob- great swimming.  I think i could keep that pace up for about 200m only!

BP- mrs OS and myself arte doing the BUPA 10k too, but for the 1st time.  Do they pen runners at the start according to predicted speed?

• Cassie - unfortunately the problem with being local is accommodation is never an issue. Don't despair, if you keep a look out stuff often turns up nearer the time when people cancel.

• Lee-Anne - I don't think they have had pacers at GNR for the last few years anyway.

• Try a bit further out of the city centre Cassie.....I'm booked in a hotel about 30mins away..only £70 for 1 night for 2 of us!

• OS - yes they did in 2009 and in fact they set the pens off with 2 min gaps. I decided to go in the front of the pen behind where I should have been and that way I got a clear run for about 5 mins and also got to run down Birdcage walk out in front with maybe 4 other runners and the crowds were 3-4 deep cheering and it was just for me at that point rather awesome

• Welcome to Cassie and Lee-Anne

Cassie - I know that there's a little B&B in Jarrow that you could look into for vacancies - I think it's called Bede's Well or something.  I have no clue what it's like (I'm local so accommodation is never an issue) or if they have vacancies that weekend, but I think everyone goes for Newcastle, Gateshead, South Shields and forget that there are other little places nearby.  It's literally a 5 minute walk from a metro station that will take you directly into Newcastle or South Shields in about 15-20 minutes.

Went out for a steady 6.6 miles yesterday afternoon.  It was pretty hard to maintain pace though, as the wind was playing up as usual, despite the sun.  I'm beginning to forget what it used to be like running on a calm day as it seems every time I pull my running shoes on the wind goes 'Whoosh - here I am!'  image

• Thank you Shielsy.

I am going to my little running group tonight for my easy run. I have met some fantastic people running!

• OS - It would be nice to say hello to you at BUPA London 10K I will message you with my mobile number and if you fancy saying hello give me a call or text on the morning and we can say hello.

• Hi folks,

I went out for a 5 miler today and yes, it was really windy image. Thought of you Shielsy and guessed you wouldn't have been too impressed with the wind! image