Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Best of luck ... once the summer hits there's races left, right and centre.

• Thanks.
    The Kirkley Hall race was postponed from April, so all of a sudden there's a bit of congestion in my calendar. I also have the Bridges of Tyne 5 miler in early July, but then nothing until September.
    What's on your racing horizon ?

• Apart from Blaydon and Thunder Run I'm seriously considering Newburn on 19th June (if you get a nice night, it's lovely) and I also fancy doing the Tyne Bridge one as well

• spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭

There's some cracking pictures of Mick on here.

Lots of busy race calendars

Ive just had an email from Lakeland Trails saying theres still places left in the Coniston Half marathon on the 7th July,£34 entry is a bit steep but I'm tempted.Its hilly so I'd probably have to run/walk it anyway and itll give me time to take in the beautiful scenery image

• Afternoon everybody,

Shielsey - glad the health scare is over and you're fine

Some great pics of mick, its going to be a bit emotional on sunday.  

Xl - sorry but i wont be able to make i along for the curry on sunday, i will be in the bridge for a few halfs but cant make it a full nighh out unfortunatly.

Looking forward to blaydon, my favourite race of the year, is the course the same as last years ? I ran 40:01 last year so if it is, i need to get under 40:00 !!

• Racing horizon for me is blaydon, bridges of tyne, thunder run, grand prix 10k, darlington 10k, grand prix 3.5m, gnr, grand prix 3.5m, kielder duathlon, town moor 10k, grand prix 3.5m and think thats it for thisyear !

oh and maybe 1 or 2 more attempts at a parkrun pb.

• 2 secs mr sj.  That's only 0.08% more effort!  I'm sure you'll manage it!

I've got one of the Mota-vation races tonight.  Just over 4 miles haring round some of Oxfordshire's queit roads.  Then possibly the Banbury 5 next Tuesday then nearly a whole weekoff racing til the Sri Chinmoy 4mile race in Oxford.  Then the Thame 10k, the Hornton 6 (miles) and then something in my diary called the TR24- wonder whats that all aboutimage.

• Shielsy, glad to have tracked the photo down for you. It should be an emotional evening with you all wearing his picture. If the weather up there is anything like it's supposed to be down here, it shou;d be a lovely evening. Shame I won't be there this year.

• I actually don't have much in my race diary after Saturday :S

• Bridges of Tyne sounds fun image

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Vixx76, I'm sure it is (I'm doing it this year) but it doesn't actually go over any of the bridges as you might expect from the description!

• No apology needed, Mr sj.
    I believe the course is reverting to 5.7 miles this year, so you should be in with a great shot at sub-40. Finishing at the same field as last year.

That's quite a list of races you've got there.

Would have been great to see you WTS Maybe next year.

Bridges of Tyne is a great run, Vixx. 2.5 miles along the Quayside, turn around, run back.image (Taking care not to trip over velociraptors, of course image)

• Just catching up after my post last night.

Those photos of Mick had the same effect on me Shielsy! I still can't fully believe we won't be seeing him again - just so sad and so wrong.

Vixx - thank you for the offer, and its a really lovely idea, but with my night shifts this weekend and limited time off next week filled with kennels and hospital appointments with my mum I'll have to let you down, I'm sorry - hope you don't mind.

Bob Parr - thats a cracking photo!!

Shrek - *sigh of relief* that you'll be with us at TR!

lfc - great to hear your recovery is still going well.

XL - Blimey - you're busy!! Just make sure you look after that niggle please.

Spongecake - Coniston should be lovely - if its anywhere near the course of the Coniston 14 then its certainly do-able.

Hi mr sj

Good luck for tonight OS!

WTS - Can you believe its a year since me and you got all tiddly in The Bridge whilst everyone ran their socks off in all that rain??

Evening Graham!

My race diary has been rather quiet of late but Steve text me the other night with a few things to keep us ticking over during the summer. Nothing major, a 10k and a few 5 milers but enough to keep me going til the GNR.

• XL, I'm still planning to come up for the GNR (to watch not run) and will hopefully meet up with you all again then. I'll have to try to wangle Blaydon next year, although it's a Monday so may make it difficult - unless I've retired again by then! image

Mandie - getting tiddly??? I don't know what you mean! image Hardly seems a year ago does it!

• Mandie - no worries! image

Graham - am a bit gutted it doesn't go over the bridges!

XL - that thing is awesome (the velociraptors).

Hi WTS - how are you?

• Anyone doing the Loughborough half this weekend? 

• Hi Vixx, I'm good thanks, how are you? Any more marathons planned?

• This forum has gone mad today - just home from 3 days away with work - in office tomorrow then straight up to Stockton to stay with mother for the weekend - she has eventually got out of the home after her hospitalistion. Not too bad as my son Mark is scrounging a lift of me back down on Sunday afternoon for an interview in London on Monday before getting train back to Durham. Do not know what state he will be in as he started a 50 hour charity radio show this morning which finishes 11am Saturday - these youngsters have got stamina - details on my facebook page. I have only the Olympic Park 5 mile run in diary until GNR - this taking break from running not working I am going mad and will get back to it on Monday.

• XL - Wee Col has been in touch.  He'll be doing Blaydon on Sunday so you could print a picture for him if you'd like?

6.5 miles for me in the lovely sunshine after work.  Shattered by the end, but really enjoyed it.

• I ran the 4.3mile Mota-vation race tonight and was 2secs slower than my PB from 2 yrs ago.  How frustrating!  But it was a lovely evening for a run, although a bit warm for a race and was finished off with a beer and a burger (which are 2 of the reasons many of us runimage).

• Have a great weekend everyone - enjoy Blaydon and have a pint of Guinness for me in Mick's memory please?

Am off to cause chaos in Europe now - see you all Sunday night maybe image

• XL - Billy also please for a pic.

Shielsy - glad to hear that everything is ok on the medical front.

Vixx - have a good time in Brussels/Luxembourg.

Hello to Mandie, Shrek, LFC, OS, Bear and anybody else I've forgotten

• Fiona - hello

Vixx - good luck for marathon

• OK, Fiona. Billy is also on the list, now.

Wee Col, too - thanks Shielsy.

• To everyone running on Saturday (in or not in Sunderland kit) in memory of Mick - have a good run and enjoy. I will be doing Huddersfield parkrun but will be thinking of you all & Mick and will be with you in spirit and later on in the black stuff!!

I started my 12 week Asics training for the GNR this week so just watch out- the guy powering past you will probablly have just passed me as well!image

• spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭

Hope your parkrun went well Roy.

Wonder how Vixx got on in Luxembourg.

Been up early finishing an essay,cant believe how stressed I get when writing. Now dig out my running gear for Blaydon image what better way to relieve stress and blow off a few cobwebs. Good luck everyone and see you all before the race and in the Bridge after.

• Morning all.,

In October 2002 I ran what I intended to be my only event.

The Great North Run, iconic North East race (I hate using that word, but sometimes, it is the right one), it had to be done - once !

I made a wonderful discovery recently, while checking out my spreadsheet (Don't laugh, Shielsy image)  Today's Blaydon Race, will be the 50th time I've run with a number on my front !   Woohoo - what a day to bring up a half century image
    I'll also be running alongside the same training partner.

There will be some sad thoughts today, as we know, but, it's also going to be a day of celebration. Running is wonderful, and I've met some terrific people, because I didn't stop racing when we crossed the line at South Shields in '02, including a true Mackem gent.

Thank you all.
    I hope everyone has a wonderful 9th June. Wherever you are running or racing today, have a great run.

• Good words XLimage. My first GNR was in 2001 and little did I know then I'd be on a slippery slope!  My first Blaydon was the following year and I'm looking forward to 'gannin alang the Scotswood Road' this afternoon and meeting up with some old friends again.  See you all soon.