Great North Run 2013

Comments

• OS - that's not too bad. The one year I was watching it on TV and the last runners crossed the Red start 45 minutes after the race had started.

I only know that because it's the year Mick n Phil did it.

• Chip timing has certainly changed things for the better hasn't it?

Its just so nice to think you don't have to try and get as far to the front as possible (and start in a place that is not fair to you or anyone else around you) or push the people in front of you as soon as the gun goes off.........not that I ever did any of that in the past, of course!! image

Well done to all our Blaydon runners. You were all on my mind all day yesterday. I'm still gutted I couldn't join you but the photos I've seen up til now look really great - please keep them coming!

• Can I have one of those pictures of MtM for GNR please?

Hi Mandie! How are you?

• Hi Vixx, i'm absolutely shattered. It's been a very long, very busy set of nights. In fact, I don't ever remember a set of nights shifts quite like it. My head is still spinning so I'm just settling down with a glass of wine to try and chill out before I head to bed at 8pm!

How are your legs now - recovering well, I hope?

• I am fine thank you Mandie - I hope that you have managed to chill out! image

• Evening all.

What a day yesterday was. Absolutely fantastic.

Glorious sunshine. Great atmosphere amongst friends in the Bigg Market.
    A chance meeting with an old school friend of Mick's; So great to think that his family will probably now know what we did in his memory.

A very hot, but wonderful run 'alang the Scotswood Road'. So great to do it in a group, and on a personal note, a lovely way to celebrate my 50th event. Thank you folks.

More chat in the sunshine before catching the bus back, having first managed to lose Shielsy  (Sorry image!) Great craic in the Bridge as always. Then a curry, and a final swift pint of the black stuff in the Crown Posada, to finish the day.

• Vixx76 wrote (see)

Can I have one of those pictures of MtM for GNR please?

. . . .

Me too please image

Well done all at Blaydon.  You looked magic in your red  & white stripes.  I think I can hear Mick having a little chuckle!

Shielsy - Good to hear that your fears came to nowt.  Scarey none the less.  That's the sort of thing that prevented me from running VLM (or was it FLM?)  It totally consumes you, and I delayed getting mine looked at as I was convinced it was bad - but it wasn't.  Just hard to focus while it hangs over you.  

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Well done Blaydon folks - I was looking out for you but didn't spot anyone!  I was there with my club (wasn't planning it, but one of our girls had to drop out the day before as she was injured, so I had her number), and had a lovely afternoon, struggled a bit in the heat, but it was kind of nice not to have much time to work out what I was aiming for!  The Scotswood Road seemed unbelievably long and shade-less, I was very pleased to get to the end and find the pubimage

Mandie, I hope you managed to chill out and get some sleep, I am so impressed by people who can work nights and still do active things!  It sounds really hard work!

Vixx, huge well done on another marathon, you are amazing!

• Hi vixx

Chip time said I managed 1:52 which is just outside my pb.course was a bit undulating and it through me when we turned off the main road through a gate and went up what I can only describe as a farmers field image.

Well done on the marathon, im not quite there yet!

• Thank you Madbee and Karl.

Karl - at least you know you aren't far off PB - and that sounds like a tough course!

Madbee and XL - sounds like you both had a good Blaydon Race, even if it was the pub afterward that made it image

XL - How can you lose Shielsy? I know she's lovely and petite, but I still can't work out how you can lose her! image

• Hi All - I had a blip with my running - had a holiday in Australia (took my running gear but never got it out and cam e back with a sinus problem) and have just had two weeks getting back into it. I'm following a programme in a book by Matt Roberts in his 'Get Running' book.

Has anyone else followed this one - and do you think it advisable to do more than is laid out in there or stick to it rigidly?

Looking forward to the big day now!

• Vixx - not only XL but Pengywn and me too. Not one of us could find heTurn send out she made it to the bus before us. image

• It was my fault ... I got on one of the buses back to Newcastle with Spongecake thinking that XL Fiona and Pengwyn were following right behind ... but they hadn't spotted me getting on the bus and were looking for me in the crowds.  But I couldn't leave the bus once I was on as they take your ticket off you and people were still packing onto the bus.  Plus I didn't have anyone's phone number to alert them.  So I just had to figure 'Surely they'll have realised I got on the bus with Spongecake?'

Sorry again - I made you waste valuable drinking minutes image

Blade41 - it might be a bit helpful to state what the book you're reading advises re your training, instead of just hoping that someone else is familiar with it?  I've never heard of the book before, but then I tend not to stick to running schedules and tailor them to my circumstances because real life (eg holidays and illnesses) to tends happen as you've discovered.  No use sticking to something rigidly if you're feeling under par or have lost a few weeks due to holidays - you'll possibly do more harm than good.

• Blade41 - i agree with shielsey, i tweak things to fit my life and move runs around if need be, dont get too hung up following a schedule religously

Just booked a few nights away wi the family in august, used to go away in a wigwam all the time with miss sj and mstr sj but havent done it for ages and little miss sj has never been in one, so been googling some sites and have booked us a mega luxury camping pod !! Looks very nice, based on a working farm and we are the first confirmed booking so the nice lady there has knocked nearly 30% off the price and said the kids can help her go out in the mornings to feed the chickens and collect e eggs, they're going to love it !

• Blade - I guess whether you do more than the plan says very much depends on your current level of fitness, previous fitness and how you are finding it.  The general dogma is don't increase by more than 10% a week. So you could do a bit more, but it won't likely add up to very much extra.  Also  if you've had a lay off for a few weeks with illness, probably best not to add in too much extra.

• Vixx, RLTW (and anyone else who would like one), if you drop me a message with your e-mail address, I'll happily send you the picture of MtM.

Vixx, what you should be impressed by, is the fact that we ran for almost 6 miles in a crowd of nearly 4,000 and DIDN'T lose Shilesy image

Shielsy - NO APOLOGY NECESSARY, it all worked out in the end. Searching for you also allowed me time to find a work colleague who had been deserted by her 'friends'; so, she had company on the bus that she would not otherwise have enjoyed. (Drinking minutes were made up later image)

• Actually XL - that's a very good point about not losing Shielsy during the race image

Will drop you a message image

Blade - I know Matt Roberts is more a general PT (albeit a celebrity one), so I don't know how his Running book shapes up compared to his other stuff. It'll be thorough I would have thought though. As Fiona says, usual dogma is 10% increase per week on mileage - and don't get hung up if you miss a session. Someone told me (mainly for marathon training) that if you have to miss any sessions, the one you should never miss out as far as possible are the longer runs.

mr sj - holiday sounds cool image Hope the kids enjoy it as much as you will image

Hi fiona - how are you and billy doing? Did you run Blaydon?

How are you doing Shielsy? 

• You should have the picture now, Vixx.

• Bit different to the usual half course, but I like a challenge, maybe thats why im doing "the suffering" obstacle race in 2 weeks image anyone else doing it?

• I've not heard of that one Karl!

• Blade- I'd agree with Vixx and Fiona.  Don't increase distance OR speed by more than 10% per week.  Make sure you get one long run in per week and aim to make the longest runs up to (and preferably a little over) the 13miles.  Beware of speedwork- its an easy way to get injured.  Practice everything (breakfast, shoes, vest/ shorts/ hydration and gels) before the big day.  No doubt there will be some other pearls from the others added too!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Karl, that sounds like great fun, I'd love to do an obstacle run.  

I am struggling a little after Blaydon - don't know why but I am feeling rather stiff and sore - nothing major, just niggles, but it's a bit dispiriting when I'm trying to build mileage up - only managed 3 miles yesterday and had to ditch my Monday short run after racing on Sunday.  Hopefully getting a medium run in this evening with the club.

• Madbee - i always struggle for a few days after a race, just take it easy and missing a run if you dont feel right is not the end of the world

• Thanks for your replies. Shielsy - its a mix of steady runs/ tempo runs/ intervals and a long run each weekend - a nice steady 50 minutes last Sunday went really well. I'm enjoying the mix of running and feeling really good, but didn't want to push too far too soon - hence the question. The long runs do increase largely by what has been suggested, so i'll keep on with how things are for now.

Good luck with the training/ events everyone!

• Madbee-ive had problems with my right calf since the buxton half a few weeks ago, its fine when im running but aches constantly otherwise.

Ill let you know what the suffering is like, my sister in law did the "wolf run" a few months back, when she finished she looked like she'd fell fell face first into a mud bath image still, all part of the fun!

• Can anyone help me 'lift' some pictures again please? (Remind me what to do?)

• Morning all

Vixx - unless you've got a Macbook I can't help you, sorry.

Went out on Tuesday night and did my usual 6.6 route at a nice steady pace, and then last night it our club was hosting a Vets' relay race - 2 laps around the park across the road from our stadium.  Just 1.75 miles in total but real 'eyeballs out' running ... on a hot night.  Fortunately I was running the first lap (so could get it over with!) and I also had a woman from Heaton (I think) to chase all the way round which spurred me on.

Finished in 12:12, so my pace for the whole thing was 6:58 m/m, which I'm dead chuffed about as I don't think I've ever gone that fast before.  I did feel like my heart was going to explode though!

• Wow - that's fantastic running Shielsy image