Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Excellent running Shielsy.

Vixx - there are a few techniques to getting pictures which vary depending on which computer you're using and which browser you're using.  Also depends if web sites have disabled the "right click" mouse button.  If you can right click (or click and hold on a Mac) on an image and get a pop-up menu that has "save image" in it then that is probably your best bet.  If that does not work, then let me know the website and I'll see if I can figure out how to get them.

• Good effort shielsy, yoyve embarrassed me into training harder lol

• Snazzycracker -  you don't get a refund if you have to pull out of the GNR for whatever reason ... you can defer (for one year only) if you can't take part in the year you are entered for, but you lose your payment and still have to pay again the following year - all that you get is a guaranteed place the following year.

Unless, of course, they've changed things since a couple of years ago?

• Shielsy is right and I've never heard of any further places I'm afraid.

shielsy - excellent running. I've done 15 miles on the elliptical trainer this week plus about a million lumbar roles. image

• Oh and i was squashed to within an inch of my life by someone hell bent on pushing all me chest contents out through the gaps between my ribs. (Or that's how if felt at the time!)

• Hi Snazzycracker, I am too trying to find out if entry to this years GNR is still possible without running for charity recently ran for a charity at Edinburgh in May). If I find out anything will let you and others know. Similarly, if you or anyboday else knows how to enter, without running for charity, and if more places are available, this would be greatly appreciated..

• Fiona- did you have to pay for all that pain too??

• People pay me to give them that pain OSimage

• Phillpots - there are no other (legit) ways of getting a place for the GNR at this late stage other than running for a charity.  The organizers don't 'keep back' places for later.

If you don't want to run for a charity then your only other chance is to see if you can get a number that someone else is giving away, or check places like ebay.  But that's technically not allowed (running on someone else's number).

• OS - I certainly did And quite a bit. image

• Fiona - I'm sure you feel better for it now. Lumley Castle for me this weekend for a wedding - nice lazy weekend

• Fiona/ Vixx- No pain, no gain imageimage

• Have a fabulous weekend BP - I've been to Lumley Castle for a medieval banquet and it's lovely.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Enjoy your relaxing weekend Bearsted image

Fiona, hope you are ok now - sounds like the pain should have been worth it!

Just back from my long run - it was beautiful this morning - bright, cool, and I saw a heron catch a fish, a young fox run in front of me, and a peacock in a very random place.  I love having interesting distractions on a run!  Off for my second breakfast nowimage

• Snazzycracker-thats good news about gnr, its nice to see charities appreciating what you've done for them

• Does anyone know when the journal coms out with the blaydon pull out section ?

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

I'm not sure Mr sj, but the pictures are all online on the chronicle page I think image

• Snazzycracker - that's very interesting, I was not aware of that.  Maybe because I've been lucky enough not to have had to rule myself out of the run so early (though I did have to defer in 2011 because of a twisted ankle).

I'm not sure if they then offer the refunded numbers to potential runners though, or just give them to charities.  I've never heard of more numbers becoming up for grabs after July 1st.

Good news about your charity place - that's very fair of them.

• Hi everyone, what a perfect day for running

Longest run this year done 

10.5 miles and the knee is fine. image Shrewsbury half next Sunday so should be ok.

whos up o what this weekend ?

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

GNR places available? Today's Journal (Newcastle) says it has 100 places available. To apply it asks people to email jnl.newsdesk@ncmedia.co.uk with "Great North Run places" as the subject and to say in no more than 200 words why you want a place. A   £50 registration fee is payable if successful. 

• Interesting Graham! Seems they may wish to maximise profits this year!

Shrek - I am doing bugger all in terms of training today. Have been to the allotment and made the mistake of going to asda :S

Am glad that the knee is fine image

• Hi all

Had a good parkrun today with a PB! It's almost a year since my last one and there is a conection. I live about 4 miles from the park and this time last year I ran in as I did today - I reckon it's (for me) about being properly warmed up.

Someone posted yesterday on my club's website about things they saw on their run :-

1) A cat pressing the button on a pelican crossing

2) 3 squirrels on their way to work

3) A badger driving a panda car chasing the squirrels

Proof if it were needed that my fellow club members are bonkers!

• Roy- I set a PB at our parkrun last year in similar circumstances.  It was snowy and cold and I couldn't get my car started so i had to run the 2km to the parkrun and despite snow on the course, it was firm and i got a pB.

Shrek-  seriously windy darn sarf today, so I was glad to be run director at the parkrun rather than running it.  But I've got a 10mile leg of the Ridgeway relay tomorrow and it looks like the wind will drop a bit and now its forecast to be dry too.  Plus my leg ends at a pub....image. Happy days!

• I've never done parkrun image

Hi Roy - well done on your PB image  Seems like some of your fellow runners might be on something! image

Hi OS - good luck for your leg of the relay! Nice place for it to end!

I can't believe it's been a week since Luxembourg image

• Vixx-time flies when ur having fun! Alexander half for me tomorrow