Great North Run 2013

Comments

• I'm sure you are glad you didn't have to run 26.2 miles in it but hope the guts improve image

• The wind was not bad at all here but we did have rain, it's was refreshing to be honest.

the knee caused some pain but it held out so I'm happy.

os, we all have off days, you will soon get your mojo back.

dissapointed that some of the feedback about the improbable course is not so much aimed at the organisers as towards the slower runners. I have posted a reminder we are all runners and stick together, slow or fast, fat or thin.

• I haven't seen any comments Shrek - are they on the website? Well done for posting that though.

OS - guts are already feeling better thank you. image

• Yes Vixx, it's on the event thread. Sad when runners slag each other off.

to be honest I hope these ones don't bother to come back next year

• Vixx - thanks!

O/S - the chocmilk was fab - felt like I had aged a few years during the long run in the rain, then went back to being about 14 again when I had that drink lol. I may be the one with a camelback full running round Newcastle in September image

• Morning everyone,

Shrek - well done on your half and glad your knee held up okay

Bearsted - well done on your ten miler

Another 11.25 miles for me yesterday, average 7:44 pace and felt comfortable e whole way, first 2-3 miles are usually just over or under 8 min mile and then down into the 7:30-7:40 area which i hold for most of the run, feel im the fittest and running better than i have ever done before, probably somethi to do with the fact im now into my 17 month of injury free running !!

2 club sessions this week and hopefully a parkrun pb on sat and then a 5 mile race the tuesday after and then its thunder run time , woohoo !'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hello all,

I haven't posted in ages but I have been following the thread.

My training is progressing nicely and I am slowly inreasing my mileage. I only ran once last week (7.5 miles) in the heat but I was feeling very run down so decided to listen to my body and not push too hard. I needed the rest as I am feeling much fresher this week.

Any other first timers on this thread?

• First interval session and first consecutive day runs for ages. Interval session of 4 x 1 miles with 3 mins recoveries - not that quick (8min/mile) but at least it is a good start on the recovery.

• evening all, legs feel ok today and managed the usual walk to work of just over a mile ok, was expecting the knee to have swollen in the night but it hadn't to my surprise.

early night for me and hopefully back to normal tomorrow.

lee Anne, everyone's welcome here, first timers and old timers !

• Lee Anne - as Shrek says all are welcome and we were all first timers at some point. Some on here don't even do it at all!

Shrek - glad the knee seems to have survived.

Vixx - good to hear that gut is settling.

Bear - did you enjoy the intervals?

i see the bookmark problem seems to be resolved.

• Fiona - yes I did it was great to get back to doing proper sessions again.

shrek - good to hear your knee ok

• Did anyone do the great north 10k?

it was my first formal "race" used it for training for the full great north run in september, managed it in 1 hour 17, 3 minutes slower than my Personal Best, but i did have to stop a few times to drink and to dodge through people.

Alot harder than i expected with people in the way. long term goal will be to try doing the GNR in an elite racing chair.

• Well done jamie, did you enjoy it ?

Not sure if anyone else on here did it, i considered it but to be honest i was put off by the cost.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Well done Jamie image  Sounds like it's a busy one, so not surprised you had some dodging to doimage

Lee-Anne, it's my first GNR this year too, though I have done half marathons before.  I'm really looking forward to the experience, I've never done a really big race before image

• Lee-Anne - another first timer here - 7 miles this last Sunday and taking it steady but really looking forward to it now.

• Hi Madbee and Blade. I can't decide if I'm excited or terrified by the prospect!

I did a cross training session last night in the form of boot camp. We did a fitness test and it is interesting to see how I am progressing.

Rest today and long run tomorrow with the boot camp group. I think the plan is 8 miles which will be the furthest I have gone.

Do you think I would be better to rest on Thursday or go and do a wee 5k with my jog Scotland group? I don't want to over do it.

• Well thats another 8 miles clocked up - still harder than it should be but think i'm building fitness back up again slowly. That's 25 miles in last 3 days.

• Evening all, first post in a few months due to moving house 3 times this year! Never again! I'm still well impressed by the mileage being run on the thread, even by first timers. I've got a question though. What sort of average weekly mileage are people doing? I know that pure mileage is not the only thing. It has to be quality and well mixed, but I get the feeling my 15 miles a week pales into insignificance. Any replies would be useful.

Just done about 9 miles - my first run in over a week cos of a cold.

Lee-Anne, you should listen to your body. If you're aching, then maybe best to leave it, especially after a long run. If not, give it a go.

• Narrow feet - i rarely get above 20 miles a week, just dont have the time for anything more.  Usually 2 short club sessions and 1 long run on a sunday

• Is anyone doing any of the Parkruns around Newcastle this Saturday as I am in Newcastle Friday and Saturday?? and if not which is best to do

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hmm, Narrow Feet, I'm clocking 30-40 miles per week, but I am training for a marathon in October, so GNR is not really my focus at the moment.  I think if I were only training for that I would be around 20-25.  I did my last half on around 20 miles a week in the end.

• Narrow feet - my average mileage is about 15 at the moment on 3/4 runs. I usually do a quick 1 mile run down to Bootcamp on a Monday and focus on keeping the pace quick - so not really a run.

Getting a bit jittery about my 8 miles tonight. I wish I didn't know the route so well actually. Still it is a great challenge and running with others is always fun.

• Thanks for your responses. Good to see I'm not too far out of kilter. I'll start to ramp up the mileage and long runs a bit from now as we approach GNR time.

I'm doing the Kirkley 10k this Sunday. Hoping for decent conditions and a flatish course with some PB potential. I've been doing some more speed sessions recently which helped me to a 5k PB at Newcastle parkrun a couple of weeks back. We'll see how it helps the longer distance as well.

• Bear - I won't be running as still on the bench.  However, I can give you some advice on some of the runs.  Probably the best one will be the most convenient.  If in the centre of Newcastle then Town Moor is a good run, quite flat although sometimes very windy and parking is straightforward at Claremont Road.

Whitley Bay is a lovely 2 lap course starting at the war memorial in Whitely Bay (just near the Spanish City if you are not sure).  It goes along the sea front and has a fab view/no view at all depending on the weather and can be rather breezy.

I've never done Gateshead and don't even know where it starts.

Shielsy rates the South Shields park run which may be easier if you are South of the River but again can be a bit exposed (do you sense a theme?)

I would think that Town Moor will be the busiest by far but other than at the start it doesn't feel too congested once you get going.

I've done Town Moor and Whitley Bay and would recommend both although I usually go into town for  practical reasons. Probably where you should go will depend on where you are and whether you fancy a sea view.

• Fiona - thanks for advice will probably do Town Moor as quickest to get to although know Whitley Bay well as well

• I'll be at whitley this week, not running but need to pop down to see a friend who's marshalling.

Hoping to do whitley the sat after and ty and get this elusive pb beaten !

• Weekly mileage? I'd better image for fear of scaring people!

Town Moor parkrun is great, Bear. Masses of people run it now and it's not a bad course if the wind is favourable.

• Good morning all,

I did my long road run last night and sacrificed the 8.5 miles planned for 6 miles on a very hilly route. It damn near finished me off! I am so proud that I did it though and managed to run the whole route round.

My hip is achy this morning so I will see how I feel before running tonight. Then my long trail run will be Sunday.

Good luck to all those racing this weekend!