Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Shrek - certainly not to get anything back from the state for the taxes and NI that would be too logical

• Shrek ! wrote (see)

Well done Vixx, another one done 

Richard I always park at South Sheilds and get the bus to the start but give yourself plenty of time if you choose this option as you don't want to miss the baggage busses etc. loads of banter on the busselobules the excitement.

Hey Shrek

What sort of time do you have to get there for before the car park starts to fill up?

• RLTW- I didn't see you at Thame even though you came in one place behind our 80yr old club member- I guess I was busy shouting at him!  I found it rather hot and didn't push it too much.  I agree about the medal though- nice but no mention of the race (or the sponsor??).

Shrek- x rays only show the bone so won't show any soft tissue problem or if something is popping in and out (if its in the correct place when the x ray is taken).  But the physioterrorist should be able to pick up the latter.

• Morning everyone, some amazing running going on as always.

Narrow feet - fantastic time for the run northumberland 10k, everything ive read about it says the wind was pretty hard going on the day, 7th place finish is outstanding !

shrek - good luck with the physio, hopefully get to the bottom of the problem.

Im taking a few days off from running, did a ten miler on sunday which went fine but then later in the evening my left hamstring started to feel a bit sore, nothing major  and a quick rub of it seems to get ready of any pain but being sensible and no club tonig and seeing sports masseur tomorrow.

Got a race a week today and should be fine for that (hopefully), julys a busy month, no time for niggles !!!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Morning folks, some great running going on image  

Hope the niggly bits go away mr sj, and you too XL (that's still a pretty impressive time I would say!)

Narrow Feet - wow!  7th!  Amazing.

Vixx, that sounds a really tough day - VERY well done for making it round.

I'm having an intermittent week...  Work schedule messing up running schedule!  Did a 16 miler on Friday and was well pleased with myself, but haven't fit a run in since.  I'm doing Croft 10K tomorrow, with the intention of knocking a big chunk off my PB from about 3 years ago, so I think a short, gentle plod is in order later on.

• Thanks Madbee - it was crazy, and tough, but I am glad I did it. image

How is everyone today?

• Has anyone ever done the Skiddaw race organised by Keswick AC?  Its been suggested I do it on Sunday...

• Sorry shadowfax, i havent done that one.  Just googled it and the first bit i read says - 

This is a tough fell race with a relentless climb and then a quad mashing descent, with no let up.  The weather is typically mucho scorchio or bloody awful, the latter being better.

• Morning all

richard, I always arrive about 0630 at South Shields to get a good parking spot, then I have a rest for a while n the car before the mayhem begins.

resting the knee this week and hope the physio will find the problem soon.

mr sj, what's the race next well ? Good luck for it.

• And how about this for a course profilt !

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo333/mr_sj/60a2f0e49a00d7c7a8ba5b9638527989.jpg

• Still no running for me.  A million more miles on the cross trainer.  However, at least I can watch the tennis at the same time image.  I've gone backwards on the progress front due to having to haul at windows to get them shut properly after the surveyor opened them again image despite having opened them previously and noting that they were ill fitting.  However, closed again and house will be totally gone on Friday. image

• Mmmm.... mr sj, you're not a salesman are you!  I'm rapidly going off the idea- and its looking warm on Sunday, which will be nice for the camping that night but not for running up 3000 feet at midday.  But it would be good training for the TR24....decisions, decisions.

• Thunder Run will seem easy after that..... image

• Only if I have any legs left- crawling 10k laps on stumps might be tediousimage

• Go on shadowfax you know you want to, ir looks easy !

• After Saturday's race I am hoping I do OK at Thunder Run.... image

• OS - a man of your calibre that run looks like a gentle training hill session

• Looks like a walk in the park image

you must be off your rocker !

• OS - I dare you to prove us all right in our thoughts

• Cheers guys- no pressure thenimage.  It does partly depend on what other roles I may be expected to do- we are up there as staff on a D of E camp.

• OS - I don't think you would be crazy at all image

• Old Shadowfax wrote (see)

RLTW- I didn't see you at Thame even though you came in one place behind our 80yr old club member- I guess I was busy shouting at him!  I found it rather hot and didn't push it too much.  I agree about the medal though- nice but no mention of the race (or the sponsor??).

- no mention of anything!  Can't see the point really. I'd rather they keep the oversized t-shirt and engrave my medal with something to identify what the heck it's for.    

I followed, overtook, followed your chap for ages (he was consistently running and I was doing my walkie bits)  but he wasn't running in your club vest was he?  He did keep me motivated for quite a distance.  You should have noticed him come stonking past me on the home straight.  not sure I could have challenged him at that point but I also felt he deserved to cross the line in front of me image

mr sj that looks like and incredible route.  I'd have to stop and take in the view for an hour or 2 if I ever made it to the top!  I love their description of the uphill leg. .Plant a flag when you reach the summit image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Eek, that looks utterly horrific OS - go for it!!image

RLTW, I totally agree with you on the medal thing - tell us WHY we have the bit of metal, and for goodness sake do away with the tent-sized T-shirts! Sounds like you had a good race image

Fiona image  Hope you're back in action soon - though watching TV and exercising does sound quite appealing!

Croft 10K for me last night - a big PB of 49:46 - my previous 10K PB was 54:30 about 3 years ago, which is about the last time I did a 10K, apart from pacing a friend round one a year later.

• Well done Madbee. That's a huge chunk off your PB. In the sub-50 club as well.

• Evening all, great club session tonight.

Doing 3.5 x 1mile reps with 20-30 sec recoveries between each one, supposed to be running them at 6:50-7:00 min mile pace but felt really strong and ran a 6:25, 6:26, 6:29 and 3:30 for the last half mile rep.

Hpefully looking good for my 5 mile race next week !

• Did the next in the Oxfordshire Thursday evening road races last night.  I followed a lady from another club for the 1st 3.5km and then on turning a corner, she slowed a bit so I went on alone.  After a short but steep hill she came back at me but on the final descent I went ahead again and did the 3.9miles in 24:36 which was a PB by 23secs.  So i was very pleased, but grateful to the other runner for pushing me hard.  I did feel a bit mean sprinting past the 3rd lady just before the finish funnel, but that feeling didn't last long- its the only race I've ever beaten her in image.

Well done mr sj- we'll be flying at the TR!!