Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Shielsy, we're both skinny with little or no hair. Any similarities end there image. I might sprint the last lap and spread my arms and grin in disbelief as I cross the line though...

• Love the reports from Thunder Run. I ran 3 consecutive laps from 3.30 am. Doing my first lap in the dark didn't help, but each lap was faster than the previous one so quite happy with that. Loved the whole event & might consider running solo next time. image

Anyway, my wife & her friend are looking for numbers for this year's GNR. Does anyone have any spare/for sale?

• Hi all, some Pepole will know already but I have damaged my knee and am now waiting for surgery image

still I am a stubborn old fella and so will still be doing the gnr and then I will winter or winter, but look out 2014 !

I just love the great north and even if I walk around it I will not stop 

• Oh Shrek, I'm sorry to hear that. I do admire your determination though.

My train huh my is progressing well and I am  really looking forward to the GNR. My long run this week will be my first double figures run. I felt great last week after 9.4 miles so my confidence is growing. I have decided to revise my time target to between 2 hours 40 and 2 hours 55. I want to enjoy my first half marathon rather than be worrying about timing.

Have a great day all.

• Hello all image

Shrek - sorry to hear you will have to have surgery. Do you know when yet?

I will read back now - I don't get notifications for RW anymore image

• Good to hear you'll still be at the GNR this year Shrek, but hard lines about your knee, obviously.  What a superstar you were at the Thunder Run then, considering.

• Shrek - awesome to do Thunder run with that hanging over you and good to hear you will still be in GNR.

• Shrek - great to hear you will still be at GNR - I did wonder if you would make it when I first heard you needed surgery.

Bob Hopkins - have you tried the charities for numbers?

• Thanks Mandie, I'll have a look.

• I have 2 entries available. My wife and I are now attending a wedding so can no longer run.  Mail me if interested.

• hi everyone, apologies if this has been covered earlier in the forum but does anyone know what the date of the GNR is in 2014? I work in the wedding industry so am trying to avoid getting booked for the GNR weekend!

• First hills session for 4 months tonight (8 x 2 min hills - 10%ish) - got feeling going to know about it tomorrow - felt OK during and afterwards.

• Well done BP - hope you feel ok tomorrow (today)

Lilac - they don't usually announce the date of next years race until race day this year. I'm sort-of in the same boat as you, in that my work are sorting out next years leave at the moment and I'm having to work around my shifts. I'm guessing (unless there is some other major sporting event on that may clash) its either going to be 13/14th Sept or 20/21st Sept but we just never know for sure this early.

• Hi everyone, hope all ok but sorry to hear about Shrek's injury. Haven't been on here much, snowed under with a new job. Well it's GNR time, my 1st was hard in 2:08 and last year was hampered by injury & then illness so annoyed with 2:09 but enjoyed it. This year I have been learning to race so that I don't die on my backside at the end of races. We have a great Friday night 5 mile series down here in Suffolk & managed to break my PB twice but more pleasing is judging the race pace better & finishing stronger, in fact one race even had the second half faster than the first. The next few weeks I will build up to 13miles, 10 miles last night in 1:27 so if I can replicate that next month a PB should be possible and maybe the sub 2hr.

I will read how everyone has been getting on, safe to say I hope all goes well for everyone over the next weeks and maybe can up with some on the day

• Looking forward to the Newcastle parkrun this Saturday

PS !ts Mrs OS's birthday too!

• I signed up to the GNR Membership last December giving me entry into the 13,14 & 15 races.

I could be wrong but when i did this i'm pretty sure it didn't ask me to put in my estimated time and now the packs have been sent out i'm stressing they will have put my right at the back.

Should i have went somewhere and entered my estimated time like it does ask you when you sign up normally?

• Mr J40 - this would have been done when you actually entered the race not when you did your membership - hopefully you did enter race as well

• That's the thing i can't remember actually entering the race, i can only remember signing up for the membership back in December.

My pack is on it's way, will just have to wait and see what it says.

• Mr J40 - if a pack is on its way you must have entered. You do it as part of the membership thing so maybe that is why you only remember doing that.  You shouldn't be right at the back.  i think they also use your previous time so that should improve things a bit.

• Hi Vixx - I'm just plodding along, or not plodding along as the case may be.  Otherwise I'm fine.  Finally moving house in a few weeks so trying to get all that sorted.  How about you?

• Oooh, just had the email to say my pack is on the way. image

• Me too ! 

Thanks or all the comments, I love the gnr and the tr so much I would have to be unable to walk not to give them a go.

i have been resting the legs and the knee since tr but am going on a weeks holiday tomorrow in Devon, lts of trails over dartmoor near the cottage so I have "accidentally" slipped my running gear in the suitcase, just in case !

i don't usually look forward to coming home but knowing my race pack will be waiting for me makes me excited about it already ! 

note to self, going on holiday so RELAX !

• Hi CC2 and Shrek image

Fiona - I am good thank you. Am in Edinburgh at the moment (just got here tonight) and so we are just sorting out what to see at the Fringe image

Is it too early to be thinking about race day yet?

• Yes far too early, cos you'll just depress me.

Vixx - did you decide what to see?

shrek - look after that knee.

CC2 - it's exciting isn't it!

although for me it is going straight back image

• HI folks just wondering has anyone got a place available for th GNR... desperate to run it???????

• No offence, dawsey67, but haven't you left it a bit late to suddenley decide you are desperate to run the worlds biggest half marathon??

Try the charities or do what we all do and enter the ballot in the new year.

• Dawsey67 - look at the GNR Facebook page, think there was someone on there trying to flog a spot. Good luck image

• dawsey67 - if you want to risk getting banned by the organisers for illegally transferring a number that was not for you, then go for it!