Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Crikey, Andy - if you're running 12 miles at half marathon race pace you should smash 2 hours on GNR day - make sure you don't tire yourself too much before race day though.

• Tallphil - thanks for the reply, I'll give them a call I think,then see where that leads me. Whatever happserious ant wait now! 

• I went for a planned 6-8mile loop this morning...but things went wrong...

All I had this morning was a cup of tea, then that was that. 3 High5 energy gels and 4miles into it, im feeling rough as a dog. No motivation to make it to the next junction, nevermind the full distance. By 4miles, I had given it all in and was walking back home.

Its all about form, no point hauling my a** if my pace is all over the place. It ranged from 9m20 down to 7m34/mile.

I have no issues with the distance, its just that I did not have breakfast and was not fully 100% into it, as Sunday Lunch (Chicken Dinner) was being served as I left.

• Thanks Shielsy,

its Sunderland central I'll be setting off from I think. We're staying at Sunderland High Street West Travelodge. I'll be setting off early thats for sure.

Thanks again for the info again

Sarah

• Thanks Shielsy, today we ran a pace 10sec/mile slower than last weeks 10 miler as it was more about the miles. My plan is to do a long run at weekends for the next 2 weekends and in between I do a 5-6k run and my clubs track session which keeps me speedy. I won't do any more than that so that I don't burn out. 

Last weeks track was 2 sets of 4x3 min sessions at 5k pace so ran that at 7.30min/mile pace and finished with an 800min time trial at 7min/mile pace, this was after a 5k warm up so building up speed and stamina. It seems to work as at the moment I seem able to up the pace in the last mile no matter what distance I have done.

Also added some tough hills into my long routes to get my head into the GNR, next weeks 14 miler will have a long uphill at mile 12, if I can crack that ok it will help mentally for that last hill in the race. Hoping I put it together on the day.

Sounds like your training is going well too

• Evening everyone,

Nice to meet bearsted at the 5k this morning, reasonable race for me and ran 20:40, was hoping for faster but lack of speed work recently meant it wasnt too be.

Graham - you passed me just heading round the lake for the final surge home, attempted to tuck in behind you but didnt have it in me, what time did you run ?

• Graham - yes that wind was tough and then it hit you again for the short bit round the lake at the end but it was a great race and at my time of 21:54 I found myself in open space most of the way round so it was so much better than Parkrun.

• Hello all,

Good grief, four weeks to go!

My training is progressing nicely and I've run 10 miles a couple of times. My shorter runs are between 5-8 miles and I'm running 20+ miles per week consistently. As far as first half goes I don't know what else I can do.

I am aiming for between 2.30 and 2.50 the time. Will just be happy to see what the day brings.

• I ran the half marathon distance in training yesterday in 1hr 34 After reading a few posts on this forum I've come to the realisation that I won't be getting anywhere near this time or the 1hr 30 that I was aiming for as I'm starting in zone F Is there any hope or should I just not let it get me down and just enjoy the experience?

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

mr sj, my chip time was 20.36. Not the easiest race was it, with the wind? Might have beaten my PB otherwise (20.28). I agree with Bearsted Plodder about the space though - no congestion like you get in the park run at times. Are you doing the Blyth 10k next week? If so, please say hello if you see me. I really must put a face to the name, especially as we often seem to be around the same pace.

• ActionJackson - It will be hard work for sure, Sonia O'Sullivan managed 1:34 from the very back in 2010 overtaking ~25,000 people!  I'd imagine though you should easily get 1:35-1:40 from F with judicious weaving if you're a 1:30 capable runner.  If you have a recent race time you can try to get moved up by contacting them beforehand, I believe several on here have done that before.  Either way it will be very enjoyable.

• Hello all,

I am going to be staying in Carlisle the night before the race and my husband will drive me in on the morning of the race. We were planning on leaving around 5.30 am and then parking at the finish to get the bus to the start.

Is this going to work or is there an alternative I could consider?

• People are selling single GNR accommodation rooms on eBay, I was thinking of buying one, getting there on my own then going out and "pulling" Mrs KPO.

I'm happy to put the seats down in the back of the car, a quilt on the bottom then a quilt on the top... but she things otherwise.. image

• Graham - yes i'll be at blyth and durham relays tonight.  I always see you late on in a race as you pass me and im struggling !

• Hi all, sorry not been on here for ages again. Been testing the knee and on holiday but as the big event is just 3 weeks away I thought I best get some training in !

4 miles today and the knee is fine so will up the distance and get to where I need to be . Not expecting great time this year, I have a green start ! Moved down a place ? Still this year not too bothered, just want to take part. Next year I will get a pb when the knee is fixed.

hows everyone ? 

Hi Vix, mr sj, stringy, Mandy, Anne Marie, Julian, and everyone else.

• Hi Shrek, nice running with the knee, take it steady, I can't wait for the event now & will be good to see everyone at the start

• Hi everyone

Seems like this is the place for GNR veterans, so as I'm a first timer I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me how long it generally takes to get back to the start via the shuttle bus after you finish including wait times etc?

I'll be finishing in anbout 1 hour 45 minutes.

This is to help me know what train home to book.

• Training has been a disaster! After a PB in the Half Marathon of the North and consistent regular running thereafter, I tore a hamstring muscle (taking part in my 13 year old son's Westoe Rugby club training - note to self running and rugby aren't compatible). Six weeks sidelined and Blaydon race missed, managed to hobble around the Gateshead 10k and got back running.

Back to doing decent distance, Newcastle to home near South Shields, then whilst on holiday last week, after two great runs along the sea front, I lifted a bag full of beer and wine (one of those large re-usable supermarket ones) and slipped a disc in my back - note to self use the free supermarket plastic bags in future, they hold less and therefore weigh less.

So, intensive physio and hopefully, hopefully should be back running next week - is two weeks going to be enough? I really hope so, as I do not want to miss the GNR.

• First time post, so here goes! This is my 4th (and probably last) time of running the GNR. The cost of coming up from Gloucester each year, together with accomodation, food, drink etc makes this a cost that is hard to justify to the family. In Zone B again and hoping to complete in about 1:37 ish. The after run party and live music with White Van Man is just brilliant and the 3 of us who are work, and running mates, have a brilliant time. If this truly is the last time, then I can't think of a better line up than Mo, Haile and Kenenisa. The crowds are pretty awesome every year, but can you imagine how many will turn up to see these three? 

Another downside will be not raising money for Great Ormond Street Hospital - so far, I've raised over £3000 in 4 years so will have to find another event that people will dig deep for...

• Stephen, I'm no medical expert but a slipped disc and running a half mara doesn't sound ideal to me, you have to put your health first.

that said I am awaiting knee surgery and will be running so like I said I'm no medical expert, just a stubborn old git !

Gordon, well done on this being your 4th and for raising so much for great ormond street over the years, nice one.

i do however totally agree re the cost of race weekend. Taking time off work, travell, hotels, food etc cost a fortune. It's such a shame that's hotels hike up the prices so much as it takes the edge off the weekend unless you manage to get a deal.

every year I struggle to justify the expense coming up from Shropshire bt I just love this event so much I can't imagine not taking part, whatever the price

• John Thomson 11 wrote (see)

Seems like this is the place for GNR veterans, so as I'm a first timer I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me how long it generally takes to get back to the start via the shuttle bus after you finish including wait times etc?

Anything up to 45 - 90 mins including waiting time. The buses leave from bents park road see map on page 16 of the info booklet and you want service R1. The buses drop you off at Haymarket metro (they will not stop anywhere else) allow for a good 10 minute walk to central station. The bus queues are marshaled by the bus operators and if you are running late I have seen them let people jump the queue if you explain and show then your train ticket.

• Haven't posted for a while, but have been watching the thread...

Stephen Mackin - I hear you - ditto having to miss Blaydon (which I was gutted about, having managed to get a place this year), but did manage to haul my carcass around the Gateshead 10k.  That last hill nearly finished me off, and I was way outside my 10k PB.  I am now very off/on with training due to recurring knee problems and an issue with my big toe on my left foot.  Quite painful to walk on, but not quite sure what I have done!

I am determined to get to the start line this year, having missed last year due to the dreaded lurgy.  I have now resigned myself to the fact that I probably won't get under 2:15 this year (which was my target) due to the fact that my body appears to be giving up on me at a fast rate of knots, but, will be happy to get to the startline, bimble round and soak up the atmosphere.

I'm in Green Zone H this year, so at least I'm safe in the knowledge that I won't be holding anyone up.

Hope everyone else's preparations are going well - not long now! image

• Hi everyone,

I have just found this thread, wish I had found you guys long ago....not long now, Im frustratingly trying to print off my boarding pass with the notorious RYANAIR for my first GNR, Im in pink zone J, anyone else??

• Welcome to the thread Deirdre, loads of friendly advise on here. 

Im in green zone H this year, I've been "demoted" from white zone image however this year I'running glad to be running so don't mind too much.

you will lovthe very moment of it, it's an awesome event and like no other.

• Managed a 10k distance today and loved it, running in the rain along the river.

I am Confident my fitness is returning so I will be ready in 3 weeks.

What's everyone up to this weekend ?

• Training going well here. Did the longest run of my life last week (17.7 miles, very slow towards the end!) and just gone out and ran a Park Run 5k PB of 21.45 this morning. I am definitely fitter than I was at the same stage last year so if I can stay injury free I am confident of beating my 2012 time.

• Hi Shrek (and everyone else)

Well done on your 10k today.  I've done 5 this afternoon and 6.6 on Thursday night.  I'm planning (hopefully) to do at least 13.5 tomorrow.

This weekend I'm also planning on continuing with my decorating.  I've painted the bathroom ceiling and bedroom ceiling (twice), managed to pull the curtain rod out of the wall as I had a wobble on the ladders and grabbed the curtains instinctively ... leaving a hole the diameter of my fist I've had to fill.  Today I've painted a bedroom radiator and the bathroom door and tomorrow I'll be doing more of the same.

I actually rather like all the painting, it's all the prep I can't stand - cleaning, filling in holes, sanding, taping down edges etc ... not to mention all the cleaning afterwards.

MTVIking - well done on the 17.7 miles and parkrun pb.

Welcome Deirdre  image

• I actually managed to run today, which was something of a relief. I could only feel the dodgy tendon on the downhills as well. So Plan B can now come in to play. I've missed too much critical training for the GNR to be my main target, but luckily I also entered the Robin Hood Half as backup. It's as if I knew... So I'll just aim for a good hard run and maybe a small PB at the GNR, and aim for the sub 85 minutes at Robin Hood. So pleased to be running again! The elliptical trainer is sooooo dull. 

Shielsy - rather you than me. I hate any and every form of DIY.

• Shrek/Muckers Fuddle - thanks and I agree, it's just got to be done. I've no other runs planned until either London Marathon (if I'm lucky in the ballot) or the half marathon of the north. Have a place in Orange B this year. Managed to run to the end of our street today, slowly but not too painful, so planning a longer (by about 6 miles) run tomorrow..

cannot see me breaking through 1:40, but on the positive side that will give me more time running to enjoy the atmosphere. 

• 21 miles this morning - 1st 19 miles in very light rain (refreshing to say least) - sat 2 miles in rather heavier rain - actually it chucked it down - needless to say last 2 miles was the quickest ( and uphill) did 8:30 mins/mile for those 2 miles