Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Morning Campers,

Just wanted to say a big GOOD LUCK to everyone competing this year in the GNR.  I'm not running it but may join you guys next year if I get in the ballot.

All the best

V.

• Options

Does anyone know if there are 'Pacers' Im a slowie starting in pink zone as I will be on my own would like to be part of a group, unless anyone else in pink zone J (dont laugh u speedys) would like a mate ?? Im hoping for about 2.5 hours ????

• Options

Hi all

If anyone needs a room I have a booking at Castle Leazes Uni, single, ensuite B&B.  I'm now staying with friends so no longer need it.

If anyone wants to take it off my hands it's £65, I know cheap accom is now virtually non existent.

if you want to contact me email joosh997@gmail.com

Thanks, Jo

• Options

I have had a hotel nightmare (again) 

i was staying for 2 night at Corbridge but I need to get back to work now on the Monday so I asked if I could change my 2 night to 1 ? 

Seemingly NO !

so I cancelled and have re booked somewhere else, now staying in a nice place in Whitley Bay, the town looks a bit iffy but the hotel I found looks nice ( I hope )

sadly I won't be able to join the Sunday night party, unless I have a really late night ? Maybe !

anyway now all sorted so I can relax aagain little 2.5 miles this morning with Imi (my daughter) which was really nice and she, like myself is not a natural runner but she tries so I am very proud of her.

• Options

Joanne,

They are selling for less than that on eBay.

• Options

14 miles for me today.  Sandwiched in between two bouts of painting doors.  

Totally shattered now ... so pleased it's a Bank Holiday weekend (though I'll be doing more painting tomorrow)

For some reason I really enjoyed my run though.

• Options

Hi there - just wanted to introduce myself and thanks all for the inspiring stories.  This will be my 4th and final GNR - having done my first one 18 years ago I've managed to set a PB every time, going from a very slow 3 hours 18 mins to a still slow 3 hours 18 seconds in 2010.    This year I'm aiming to smash my PB by 15 minutes as a result of having followed (mostly) an actual training plan image

Training is going ok - have done 10 miles in a pretty decent 2.10 but today while running I felt a tight pull at the back of my chest which hasn't cleared (feels uncomfortable when I breath in deeply).  I'm keeping fingers crossed that it will loosen up by tomorrow for my long run.   Think the nerves are kicking in image

• Options

Jogger41 - I'd have thought with a 10 miles in 2:10 in training you should be on course to knock a good 25 minutes off your PB (maybe more, assuming you are not going all out in your training runs)!  Plenty of time to recover from whatever respiratory issues you have image

• Options

Morning everyone, some good running going on recently, seems we're all getting excited now for the big day !

• Options
    Shrek ! wrote (see)

I have had a hotel nightmare (again) 

i was staying for 2 night at Corbridge but I need to get back to work now on the Monday so I asked if I could change my 2 night to 1 ? 

Seemingly NO !

so I cancelled and have re booked somewhere else, now staying in a nice place in Whitley Bay, the town looks a bit iffy but the hotel I found looks nice ( I hope )

sadly I won't be able to join the Sunday night party, unless I have a really late night ? Maybe !

anyway now all sorted so I can relax aagain little 2.5 miles this morning with Imi (my daughter) which was really nice and she, like myself is not a natural runner but she tries so I am very proud of her.

Whoa there shrek !!! Whitley bay is my hometown, cant believe you called it iffy ! 

I like to think of it as more of a crap hole image

• Options

Hi Simon

sorry mate but the google images make it look a bit like Rhyl in North Wales which is nearer  to me, it looks fun but a well run down seaside town.

im sure there's loads to do and see and it can't be that bad if you live there mate image

• Options

Hi all, new to this thread, done this amazing race last year, it was my first ever race, done it in 1hr 59 mins, joined a running club since then, training going well, done a 10k last week as part of training. Took me 33mins 20secs, hoping to knock 15 mins Off last years time and do it in around 1hr 45. Good luck to everyone. Starting to get excited now 

• Options

Sorry, I meant to say 43 mins , I could only dream of a 33 min 10k 

• Options

Good morning (just!)

I did another 10 mile run over the weekend and it felt good. My pace is consistent, slow but consistent nonetheless, and I am around 1.55 for my 10 mile runs. I put on the form that my time would be between 2.30 and 2.50 so I am on schedule for that.

Woke up this morning full of the cold so no cross training tonight. Hoping I will feel well enough to get a long run in this week. Has to be before Friday as I am travelling to my sister's wedding, which also rules out the weekend.

Nervous and excited now!

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good place to park close to the finish? I will be traveling as far as Carlisle on the Saturday and then going from there on the Sunday.

• Options

No running for me.

My Inov8 Oroc 340's ripped a nice blister on my heel. Put some compeed on it, then another 5k in yorkshires finest hilly woods (marsh, fallen logs, fern, streams, holly bushes etc) for it to shread into bits. When I finished the race, my sock was bloody.

Now sat with plaster and bandage, resting the leg. 

• Options

Oh dear KPO, that doesn't sound good!

I am told the hydrocolloid dressings are very good.

• Options

Time is the healer. Plan a run for Wednesday, then a 10k fartlek urban race on Saturday.

• Options

I have a cold and am hoping it lifts before Wednesday so I can do my last long run...

• Options

I run with Struggler however a loose stool is another question. Damn them High5 energy gels being 2-4-1 on discount supplements website. image 

• Options

Evening all, managed a 13.5 mile run today which I'd the furthest I've ever run. Keeping stum on the time, we set off slowly but still turned in a reasonable time considering at no stage did we ever get much below 9min miles as very warm down here in Sufolk & just wanted the distance. I will be very disappointed if I don't get a PB this year as in the shape of my life despite being 44!!

• Options

Good for you Andy!

I only started running in January and did a C25K programme. Now I can run 10.5 miles without stopping. I am very slow (11 ish minute miles) but I don't mind.

• Options

Lee-Anne- well done.  Many of us started like that and then got hooked!

• Options

As usual I managed to leave it pretty late to book my accommodation

Thinking I might book the 'liberty plaza' halls. I went to uni in Newcastle so I know it is a nice place, just seems to be the only place with rooms available so I was wondering if anyone knew anymore about it?

Hoping for a good night sleep to go sub 90 minsimage

• Options

Lee-Anne, well done, the one thing that I have learned is that the only race is against yourself so the time relative to others doesn't matter. You can do the distance at your pace and will love the GNR.

• Options

My daughter (Laura) eventually got round to picking her GNR pack up from her old flat today. We will be in Zone E, which is great for her first GNR - it should allow us to run at the pace she wants without her feeling under pressure or not being able to find space to run in. Whatever happens the day is all about having fun and enjoyment which I will make sure she has. That leaves one less runner in Zone B (me) so all the extra space for people in that zone - haha

• Options

Hi Everyone

I can share in the accomodation woes, I started a desperate search for affordable accomodation about 10 days ago and there was nada.  Since this is my first GNR I'd naievely thought that we'd be able to book a cheap hostel room.

So my friend and I are having to do it all in one day, leaving home at 04:30am!

Well done to lee-anne going from nothing to a half marathon in 8/9 months.  Don't worry about pace, I know runners who've beena t it longer than you and would love to be able to do that pace.

• Options

Anyone with accomodation problems who is prepared to camp. Westoe Rugby Club have no fixtures on the weekend of the GNR (as nobody can get to or from them easily as they're close to the finish), so they therefore usually allow people to camp for a small fee.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/westoerfc/news/great-north-run--camping-2012-279735.html

Just in case it helps.

Testing my back out tonight with an easy run home from Newcastle to East Boldon, fingers crossed.

• Options

Oh well, after doing 10 miles on Aug 2nd - I twisted my left knee the day after and to cut a long story sort - laid off running and two visits to the doctors. Last week did 3 miles, then 2 and a half today. No knee pain and the doc reckons things are clearing up, but on the cusp of telling me not to run. According to him I should take it easy - Ive done enough long runs and been on an exercise bike and gym sessions not involving the knee since the injury to keep things ticking over. If it feels ok I'm running.

So - last week this was a non starter - and now it is on again. Hope to be there on the day and good luck to everyone training/ running.

• Options

Sorry to hear about your knee woes, Blade41.  I hope things improve enough for you in the next couple of weeks for you to enjoy the day.

I've got to say I would rather camp the night before than make a trip here beginning at 4.30am  image

5 speedy miles for me last night.  I intend to do the same route in reverse tonight (less uphill draggy) at a slower pace.

• Options

I agree with shielsy, wouldn't fancy a 4.30am start on a race day.

not a wink of sleep tonight, ahhh ! Too much cheese I think