Great North Run 2013

Comments

• I'm sure that will help some Narrow Feet, but I have to disagree on a couple of points. Firstly, there is absolutely no need to carb load for a half marathon unless it's going to take you 2 hours or more. Secondly, if you do need to carb load, you really, really do have to limit how much you eat during the carb load. The last thing you need to do is gain weight. You should actually reduce your overall calories as you reduce your training, but eat a higher ratio of carbs and reduce the percentage of fat and protein. So, if you normally eat 2500 calories a day when you are running, say, 30 miles per week, if you reduce your mileage to 9 miles in the 6 days before the run you aren't going to need more than 2000 calories per day. Any more and you will gain weight. 

Also, you should never stretch cold muscles. Since for the majority of runners there isn't really anywhere to do a warm up jog at the GNR you'd be better off just easing into the run over the first couple of miles where it is crowded anyway. 

I absolutely agree on the hydration front though. And on the Garmin issues. And the ipods!

• Hi SpeedyGoth,

All depends if we make the Pasta Party or not. Last time we went out around Durham and had a few Stellas.. image

• Narrow,

Sorry fella, the iPod is coming along. I might not listen to it, but its there..

I've ran the GNR before.. image

• Energy gels the morning after a few Stellas? image Good luck with that image

Mind you, Andy Sly (whatever happened to him?) always seemed to go out for pie and beer the night before the GNR, then run a ludicrously fast time while dressed as Batman. 

• Fair points CC2.

When I said stretching, I meant dynamic stretching (ministry of funny walks) to warm them up. If I took my muscles straight into a half without warming them, the cramps I would be getting by half way round would be crippling.

• Energy gels without a few Stellasimage

• Last time we stayed above a pub in Durham, it was £40 for the night which was pretty cheap. Being a youngster at the time, I could easily go out the night before however its different these days.

I remember getting off at Newcastle Central Railway station to start the walk up to the start, we passed McDonalds..(another pinnacle of my training regime) where I had to pop in for a No2. The toilet queue was pretty big with everyone wanting the same thing. Things were getting a bit "loose" and one cubical was not being used. Being a brave guy, I walked down the queue and popped in. Luckily enough I had a toilet roll in my bag (be prepared and all that), but that was not the issue. Somone (assumed from the night before) had decided to wipe the contents of their No2 all over the walls and the back of the door. As you know, when you get close to the toilet things just let loose, so I had to make a toilet-roll toilet seat, then put my head in my bag of tricks for the period... not a good time..

Therefore this year, ill probably give the Stella a miss... image

(Ps - It felt like it took 8-10mins for me to go again when I reached the 6mile portaloos)..

Nice eh..image

• Narrow,

I think the warm-up provided was pretty good...kinda Mr Motivator style. It might have even been Mr Motivator.

• Eeeeew, cheers for sharing that KPO. 

• I should have taken a picture...

Everytime I looked out of my bag I would dry-retch...

• Anyhow, this years challenge is not to reclaim the £50 entry fee by drinking every bottle of power-ade & bottle of water. Not to run next to the "bottle catching nets" and start on the RH side of the road this time...as ive never started that side..

• I can feel it...i'm here...i'm dropping my bag off on the bus...i'm looking up at the houses that overlook the A167. I'm looking at Mrs KPO, who is admiring the urinals.. She wants to go the toilet...so i'm digging out the foil blanket to head into the woods.. image

(Picture stolen from BBC website via Google Images)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/images/2007/09/30/gnr07_start_pens_470x353.jpg

• Hi everyone, I'm also looking for advice on travel arrangements.. I'm volunteering for the cancer research cheer team at mile 6. I need to be there at 10am and it's a 20min walk from pelaw metro station. If i get the metro from haymarket at about 9am will this be enough time? Not sure how busy it will be at this time? Many thanks!

• Hi Kirsty,

I would say that the majority of the traffic will be going to the start, then about 10am onwards (as the pens closed at 10-30am) it would go into a stale period before it reverse's and everyone wants to head to the south shields to the finish.

My challenge is to beat Mrs KPO to the Finish.. She is taking the Metro...last time she left at 10:40am and just got there 2hrs later.

• I'm not able to run due to injury so am deferring - but have hotel booked for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night which is non-refundable.  Anybody looking for accommodation - can't say too much on here but is located close to central quayside - am open to offers - you will have to check in on Friday evening. 

• Hi Kirsty, it normally takes about 15 minutes to go from Haymarket to Pelaw by metro. The trains are pretty regular as well, so I think your timing is good.

• I just wanted to say thank you to one and all for the advice in relation to the GNR on this thread .

As someone just staring out on running again after a break of 20 years ago it has been so useful .

Best of luck to all on Sunday

• Thanks for the replies KeepPloddingOn and Narrow feet.. and good luck to everyone running! 

• First long distance weather reports for the North-east are in. Both the BBC and Accuweather say:

Warm - up to 20 degrees but off a cold start. Dry - overcast, but no sun. Windy - Stiff south-westerly.

Not exactly perfect, but not far off it. That wind will provide some really fast times.

Weather.com says a little cooler and light rain, still with a stiff wind.

Either way, still pretty good.

• Hi

Just wanted to get some opinions on my travel plans.  My friend and I are looking at booking a 14:50 train home from Newcastle station and will both finish the race in about 1 hour 45.  Will this leave us enough time to make our train?

• Hi John, You should make it, but there's not much wiggle room in your plan. You'll have to go pretty much straight to South Shields metro station from the finish line.

• Cheers Narrow Feet.  Reckon I might build in an extra hour or so leeway to the plan then so we can get some lunch

• Cant believe another GNR is nearly upon us. Hope all the newbies enjoy the best half marathon in the world and everyone is happy with their times. My heart goes out to the people who couldnt make it to due work/injury but there is always next year. First year my OH is coming down and my daughter is running the junior race on Saturday. Hoping to run under 1.55 this year (secretly hoping for 1.50 but dont tell anyone) Best of luck everyone

• I must agree with CC2 about carb loading and stretching muscles.

Firstly carb loading is good but as she says, increase the amount of carbs but at the expense of other foods, don't pile on the pounds.

As for the stretching cold muscles, absolute no no as it can do damage and I agree about easing into the race is the best way. I have practiced not running off like a mad man but starting 10sec/km slower and then I also find that I am able to maintain a pace 15-20secs/km faster than I would have otherwise done and with buckets of energy to make the last mile one of the quickest. Setting off too quick on cold muscles can lead to damage and cramps later in the race

• Does anyone know where I can purchase some black sticky-backed plastic?

You used to be able to buy it from WHSmiths but I haven't been able to see any anywhere, even online (unless you want to buy loads of the stuff).

I need some to put my name on my running vest.

• Shielsy, Homebase or B&Q may sell it, but it will probably be in a big sheet. Wilkinson's may do it.

Thunder and lightning with monsoon like rain in Newcastle - looks like it's going to be a very wet final pre GNR long run home this evening.

• Shielsy, could you make do with electric insulating tape?

• John Thomson 11 wrote (see)

Hi

Just wanted to get some opinions on my travel plans.  My friend and I are looking at booking a 14:50 train home from Newcastle station and will both finish the race in about 1 hour 45.  Will this leave us enough time to make our train?

Okay the answer to this question 'not much wiggle room' has scared me a bit - I'm starting in the C zone and will probably run the race in about 1:35 , so add 15 mins on makes 1:50 plus start at 10:40 am equals 12:30pm finished.

I live in Carlisle and my plan was to drive acrss in the morning, park at Jesmond metro station, or similar, and then get metro back afterwards and aim to be back in Carlisle by 3pm as it is my dad's 80th birthday.

To get back to Carlisle by 3pm I would need to be leaving Jesmond around 1:40pm which is a whole hour earlier than the question above - is there no way of getting back to Jesmond from South Shields in that kind of timescale?

Thanks to anyone who answers either positively or negatively.

• Thanks for the answers.  I've tried all the usual places (Wilkinsons, WHSmiths etc) and know it can be bought online, but in huge amounts.  I know a couple of years ago I could get it easily.

Narrow Feet - my name is so long using electrician's tape would be a right pain image

• SFF - 1.40 may be pushing it but you may be able to do it by 2pm if you literally go straight from the finish line to the metro station - no baggage bus etc. From the finish line to the metro station is just under 2 miles. If you're anything like me, you'll be in no fit state to run there! There may be a 10 minute queue for the metro at that point and then about 30-40 minutes on the metro to Jesmond.

Good luck and a happy birthday to your dad!