Great North Run 2013

Comments

• James - it should not be anything to worry about it often happens when you lower the miles an intensity runningnup to a race. Planty of stretching and now more running and within a mile on Sunday you will be fine. I sometimes have really bad avhes the week before a Marathon but come the Sunday no issues

• Heading north today.  Excited and nervous, to be honest I'm like a giddy school girl!  This will be number 9 for me.  Good luck to one and all, may the rain be a refreshing shower and the wind at our backs image

• Dawsey,

If you manage to get that number, would you be interested in swapping it? Assuming it is female (Netty Noo), my wife has picked up a number but it is male & has the name Andrew printed on the number.

Bob

• Bearsted Plodder- Thanks for the advice. So you suggest a steady run today to ease into sunday or should I rest until Sunday.

• I always have a terrible last run before a key race. I'd worry if I had a good one now! Don't worry about it James, you'll be fine. 

I have to say I don't understand wind directions, but the picture on my Met Office weather app shows it blowing from south west to north east. We're running north west to south east, so it can't be behind us, surely? 

• Yeah sure my name is Andrew anyway is end me a message with your phone number on and we can get it sorted 

• Good luck to all runners. I'm not doing it, running the Dumfries HM a week later but plan to be watching at the start unless the rain's too bad. If the forecast is right and the wind's from the SW, that sounds quite good to me. It'll be pretty much behind you from the 6 to the 12 mile mark and at worst will be a slight cross-wind for most of the remainder. The start's so downhill anyway it won't really matter if that's a little into it heading south for a while.

• Good luck - it was soggy last year too!
  • We'll generally be running south for the first 2 miles, north-east for the next 10 and north for the last 1.1. As long as the wind is from the south-west, as the forecast states, it should be a big help for the bulk of the race. The first 2 miles will be against the wind, but there will be plenty of bodies to break it up.

Weather's loking good for the mini and junior races tomorrow. Little Narrow feet's running her first. Hoping she'll catch the bug as well.

• OK, so my Geography is clearly worse than my grasp of weather descriptions! I thought South Shields was, well, south, of Newcastle. Must get myself a map!

• OK - I'm new on here and have a dilema that I hope someone can help me with...... I have been offered a place in the GNR from a friend as she can't run. I have never done the GNR and would love to do it, I'm training for the Yorkshire Marathon so it will be an ideal training run. The problem is I am a man and would have "Liz" written on my front. I know transfering numbers is a "no no" but what are the chances of someone stopping me and questioning me? If I dont do it, i will kick myself......

• I've heard the marshalls on the starting pens are pretty hot on spotting runners with wrong-sex numbers but could be wrong. 

• Tell em you had a sex-change!

• Considered the sex change angle but I'm bald with stubble!

• Apart from the name Liz is there anything to show that it is a female number. I know a few years ago it used to have an "F" on it.

I always wear an old T shirt at the start to keep warm. If you do the same when you  go to the assembly area just lift enough of your T shirt to show the colour. Also tend to find there is a last minute rush to get in the pens and the marshals have had enough by then.

• Hi all - not posted before. Can I ask a question about bags- all Iwant to check in is a jumper and dry trousers for the end- can I just use a carrier bag and tie my bagge label to it? It doesn't have to be a more substantial/ secure bag does it? Won't be anything valuable

• Good luck to all those running the Great North Run on Sunday. For anyone wishing to read an inspiring running story during their rest/recovery days then please check out 'Breaking The Wall' on Amazon Kindle which is helping to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support. Have a great run...
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Just popping in to wish you all a fantastic weekend - enjoy every single moment. It is a brilliant weekend - Sunday is awesome. I shall be thinking of you under the bridge as I line up for my local half.

PS My money is on MrSJ for the new thread.... 

• Mr K - tthanks I am wondering whether looking at weather forecast running in web footed 5 toes would be best. Only joking but I fear that I may have a pair of shoes that may be twice the weight by the end - for that reason I will be using a pair of my last years shoes for their last outing

• All packed and ready for an early start tomorrow.

good luck everyone and looking forward to seeiyou some of you tomorrow in the usual spot ! And Sunday morning under the bridge.

drive safely and wave if u see me ! 

• My bag is packed, ready too head to south shields in the morning, hopefully weather wont be as bad as they expecting for the race. Hope everyone arrives safely tomorrow

• Siony, you place the bag on the bus yourself but they do tend to move them all to one part of the bus later as it empties again.  If you're happy your bag will hold up, then fine.

• Leaving at 12:00 for Newcastle after a spot of volunteering at Princess parkrun. Good luck to all running over the weekend.

• Roball - no "f's" on the number but a great big "Elizabeth" need to decide if I'm willing to look a right plonker or not!

anyone out there with a mans number wanting to swap for a womans pleeeeaaaasssee!

• If anyone is out there wondering if "will I look cool?", it wont really matter as there is 55,999 other runners who are probably thinking the same.

As the weather looks like it might be a wet & windy one, I plan to take 2 outfits with me and make an assessment on the walk up to the start.

A dry day/looking to dry by midday - Maybe a lightweight top (not pictured), with some Nike Dry-Fit running shorts, Compression socks optional.. image

/members/images/489947/Gallery/Warm_Weather.jpg

Wet Day - Windy/Raining... North Face Compression Tights, Long Sleeve Ronhill top with 1000mile Anti-Blister socks..

/members/images/489947/gallery/Cold_Weather.jpg

Nice eh...nothing will look un-cooler than me..

• Looking cool is the last thing on my mind, tbh! Far more concerned with getting to the start in one piece and on time, getting my baggage correctly sorted and most importantly running a good race and enjoying the experience. Hoping the rain TOO heavy!

• MTV,

The post was not for your, but for the first timers who maybe thinking..."hmm, what should I wear"...

I wonder how long the first male sprinting off the line will last this year..

• Previous experience tells me that less is more in the rain. Long sleeve tops and leggings will feel very, very heavy by the end. However, I also know from experience, that baggy shorts will chafe badly! Personally I'm going for short lycra shorts and my club vest. Maybe gloves for a few miles until my hands warm up.

• I will look cool regardless of what I wear ... I just can't help it.

Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow, and MrK.  You'll be a miss at the start.

I've spent the day walking around York city centre with my best mate, her daughter and 3 of her teenage pals.  Not the greatest timing, but I had a good day so now I've got my feet up for the rest of the night.

• OK - I'm new on here and have a dilema that I hope someone can help me with...... I have been offered a place in the GNR from a friend as she can't run. I have never done the GNR and would love to do it, I'm training for the Yorkshire Marathon so it will be an ideal training run. The problem is I am a man and would have "Liz" written on my front. I know transfering numbers is a "no no" but what are the chances of someone stopping me and questioning me? If I dont do it, i will kick myself......