Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Im feelng good, just been for a run to loosen the legs and they feel pretty good. Just realisedive now got 3 weeks to m next event ! Best get training again !
  • I have till Grat South Run end of Oct so giving myself a week off running.  Will go swimming though.  Well don on your pb.

Liz

• I've got Robin Hood Half in 2 weeks....eek.  

• Good luck with that Saffy.  Dont think I could do another race that soon!

Liz

• Hi all.  I've posted my race report on the 'GULP, just entered my first half marathon' thread but thought it would be nice to post here too.  Thanks for everybody's advice in the build up to what was a fabulous GNR.  Sincere apologies for the length of the report!! ..................

• As I was trying to shovel down my bland, watery, insipid, lumpy porridge (courtesy of Newcastle University) on the morning of race day I was struggling to keep the nerves in check.  What on earth was I doing here?  I’d never run a half marathon before.  I only had one working knee.  I can’t even eat my breakfast, let alone race 13.1 miles with 54,000 other runners.  Reassuringly, the lovely lady sitting opposite seemed to share my apprehension.  We chatted for a while and helped to calm each other’s nerves, assuring each other that ‘you’ll be fine’, ‘you’ll enjoy it’ and ‘think of the sense of achievement at the finish line’.

With spirits raised, I checked out of my accommodation and began the walk to the baggage buses.  The streets were paved with runners; some in fancy dress, some in club vests; many in charity vests, but all were wearing a smile.  I deposited my bag with ease and made my way to my starting pen (green zone – somewhere towards the back!).   The atmosphere was like nothing I had ever experienced.  So many good souls in one place.  It was heartwarming to read the messages on the backs of people’s shirts and hearing the stories behind why people had donned their running gear today.  After hearing about a couple from America who were running  for their three children who they had tragically lost in a car crash due to lack of blood available, the speakers blared out ‘Abide With Me’ and I couldn’t help but shed a small tear. 

We gingerly went through the motions of Roy Gale’s warm-up routine and before we knew it the gun had gone and the runners at the front were off.  It took a good thirty minutes or so to reach the start line from where my pen was.  It was wonderful to have the Red Arrows fly over you but we were just itching to run!  We edged nearer and nearer end eventually the ropes that separated our pens were discarded and I could just about see the start line.  I enthusiastically threw my jacket to the side as the heavens opened, blew a kiss to Mo Farrah and made my first tentative steps across the start line.  No going back now!!

The roads were quite wide to begin with and I managed to break out into some space and get a decent pace going.  I was quickly catching up to the white zone runners and seemed to be flying.  Must slow down!  I did my best to take it all in.  I thanked people who cheered me on and waved at everyone on the bridges.  I chuckled at everyone having mid-race toilet stops in the underpass and I ‘oggy oggy oggied’ my way through every single bridge.  The first five miles seemed relatively easy and my knee seemed to be holding up (I was wearing a patt-strap and had taken ibuprofen and painkillers before the start – I do not advocate this but it was working well for me, I just HAD to finish!)

I seemed to slow down slightly at around the 7 mile mark.  Although my goal was just to get around the course in one piece, my plan was to aim for 10 minute miles as long as the knee would let me, which would give me a finish time of around 2hrs 10.  I was well on target for this and just at the right moment I ran past a live band on a roundabout who gave me just the lift I needed.  I pushed on and felt good.  The roads seemed to be narrowing and the number of people walking was increasing.  I weaved in and out of the crowds, no doubt adding unneccessary distance to my race but I just didn’t want to slow down too much.  I found that most people were very friendly and as soon as they realised you would like to get past they made some room for you, which I was very grateful for........

• Mile 9 was quite tough and I started to feel the first aches and grumbles from my body.  But mile 10 was the BUPA boost zone and I knew this would pick me up.  So I pushed on and it didn’t disappoint.  The sound was deafening and I boogied my way through, picking up sweets and treats on my way.  (I’m not sure if you’ve ever tried it, but dancing whilst running at pace is tricky!)  I also managed to pick up a  small beer just after the zone which was very welcome!  I knew I was flagging a bit so I went to the side of the road to high five a few children (who were mostly taller than me) and got some much needed words of support.  I also grabbed a few orange segments which were much appreciated.

Then came the thing I feared the most – the dreaded hill at 11 miles.  I started on my way up John Reid Rd.  But hang on, this isn’t that steep! I imagined a gigantic hill but it was just a long, steady incline.  So I put my foot down and weaved my way through the hundreds of walkers.  I checked my watch – 11 miles gone and 1hr 43 on the clock.  Could I do a sub 2hr for my first half marathon?! Probably not, but I was sure as hell going to give it my all.  I powered on up the hill, soaking up the welcome cheers from the crowd.  I was duly rewarded with the sight of the sea.  Oh it was just wonderful!  I flew down the hill and turned left for that final slog.  And what a slog it was!  The finish line seemed to be moving backwards but the crowds were amazing.  Yells of ‘Not long to go!’, ‘Almost there!’ and ‘You’re all amazing!’ were starting to make me well up.  I then saw two elderly ladies at the side, getting soaked in the rain, holding a banner stating “You are all winners.  BE PROUD”.  Come on legs, one final push!! Another glance at my watch.  1hr 56.  You can do this!  But then…..disaster.  Four slow runners all insisting that they ran side by side (all with orange numbers, grrrr).  I am not the type of person to push my way through so I weaved to the left, couldn’t get through, weaved to the right, couldn’t get through.  Yelled “excuse me please” but to no avail.  But then, my saviour.  A gentleman took note of my plight, took a step back and waved “This way, pet, through here!”  I thanked him sincerely and as I sped off I heard him yell behind me, “No thanks needed, just go for it, pet!”.  And go for it I did.  I crossed that line arms aloft, grinning madly, looking towards the heavens at 01:59:06. image image image

• Fantastic race report tiny runner and hige congratulations on a sub 2 hour time !!!
  • Hi all.

Just to say thanks for the advice given on here, was my first North Run and my first half marathon, only done Great Manchester Run 10k before in 49 mins.

Was staying at the Marriott at Seaburn, great hotel with seaviews btw image...had a crushing experience on the Metro to Haymarket, was allocated the pink zone and much like everyone else, it seems like you are there for ever before you can set off. Been doing 10-11.5 mile runs every week, so didn't feel too tired until the end, those slopes keep on coming...but was happy with my time of 1hr 52, especially as I had to spend a good deal of time running on the pavement/grass verge trying to get past people.  Had to wait an hour for my family to meet us as they were stuck in horrendous queues on the metro, then another 1 hr wait to get back on the metro.  Long day but worth it.  Really enjoyed the run, but not sure I would do it again due to the sheer amout of people and the cost involved (i live in the north west so it's a 3hr commute and a hotel stay)...have well and truly got the bug though and fancy another half marathon somewhere!

• did my 1 st gnr and god was fantastic ,the atmosphere was great and got a good time 1.46.19 loved it ,hope to get in next yr too

• Thanks mr sj - hearty congrats to you on your PB too.  Fantastic effort.

• Well done dawn and stey, great running by both of you !
  • dawn byram wrote (see)

did my 1 st gnr and god was fantastic ,the atmosphere was great and got a good time 1.46.19 loved it ,hope to get in next yr too

Snap! 1:46:19 for me too!!!

• Fab report Tiny Runner. Keep the reports coming folks, they're great to read and any future newbies will be inspired by them. 

Clearly the concept of a forum is lost on SprintFinish. We're not the GNR FAQ, you'll find answers to those in your race pack. 

I ventured out myself for a little run this morning. This time it didn't result in a coughing fit so I'm taking that as good progress. I did feel rather like I was drowning in my own snot though (sorry!). 

• I was annoyed at myself for fading out at mile 10, and finishing in 2-06 - I'd REALLY wanted a sub 2 hour. I had blisters on both feet (first for 2 years) I was cold and I was  soaked. I couldn't find my Charity tent or even the exit to the baggage buses, I was very grumpy to Mrs. Doux on the phone, I missed most of the Red Arrows, it took forever to get back to my car on the bus, and another forever to drive home. After apologisign to MRs DOux, she asked if I would run the GNR again. "NEVER!!!" was my immediate and heartfelt response.

Of course I've just signed up to the 2013 reminder service. See you all there next year!

• Stey Lancs wrote (see)

not sure I would do it again due to the sheer amout of people and the cost involved (i live in the north west so it's a 3hr commute and a hotel stay)...

I thougth that too, but I've been looking on Trainline - Theres a 6.30 train out of Manchester Piccadilly - Change at York and it gets into Newcastle just about at the right time. I reckon I'll try that if I get in next year.

• 15th Sept 2013 or 22nd?....Sad or what, its less thjan 36hrs old and im thinking of next year already!

• OK, a brief view of my first half marathon (first race of any description).

Have had it in mind to run a half marathon for a while and not got round to it but this year decided to finally have a crack at the GNR, had been running shorter distances regularly but only about once a week for previous six months or so when I signing up in April and set myself a target of going under the 2-hour barrier. I knew I had trained well enough to do it but that didn't prevent me from having a poor night's sleep Saturday due to nerves/anxiety!

Down at the start, I was amazed by the atmosphere and also by just how well organised it all was. Got into my pen for 10am and chatted to a few fellow runners who were generally friendly about what we were aiming for. Was impressed to see the elite athletes start bang on time at 10.40 and surprised by just how quickly we got through the startline.

The first 2 miles were a thoroughly surreal experience, I was running slighlty faster than my target pace but was being swamped by people flying past me (including a bloke dressed as a womble), presumably the rest of my pen and a large number of white numbered runners. I started at my Garmin in disbelief, I didn't pass a single person (as far as I am aware) on the first mile and clocked 8.12. I had to convince myself that most of these folk were going too quick and not get caught up in the rush. I ran the second mile slower but still don't think I passed anyone at all!

Over the next few miles I got into a comfortable rhythm, I was going consistently slightly faster than my target pace but I felt comfortable and with the weather cooler than I had generally trained in I wasn't overly concerned.

Apart from the kids squirting the water at us, the people who had come out in the rain to cheers us all on were brilliant and before I knew it I was past halfway and hit the 7 mile mark in just under an hour.

I knew then I just had to keep going to reach my target. The John Reid Road was hard and I ran my slowest mile in 9.09 for Mile 12, but the fact I was mainly passing people spurred me on and the downhill stretch around a mile from the finish was a real boost.

The support from the crowd in the 13th mile was fantastic and I ran it in 8.15 despite having to dodge in and out of runners/walkers who were by and large slowing down at this point. As I hit the finish line, I punched the air with delight only to come down to earth literally with a bump as I skidded on the grass landing on my backside. It didn't spoil my elation at crossing the line at all and I was relieved to escape injury!

Best Moment - Crossing the finish line

Worst moment - Nearly hitting the deck halfway round as someone dropped a water bottle on the middle of the track causing me to stumble as my foot landed on it.

Funniest moment - An elderly lady shouting "You're nearly there" at us after we had covered just over a mile!

Had it down as a one-off, but I might do it again!

• Brilliant, Tiny Runner image

I found the trick with the bland Newcastle Uni porridge was to add a portion of jam to it !
  • Wow, nearly up to 100 already? Well done to the White Noise Club image Of course, if White Noise isn't to your taste, you can always tune out !
    I'm pretty sure there's space in the events section for anyone who wants to, to start a shiny, proper thread of their own on the correct date, of course.

Great to read all the reports. A shame there seem to have been some incidents that were not so good. Some terrific stories of brilliant performances. Well done to all concerned. Keep them coming.

• Just realised two things -

1) My idea of a brief report didn't prove particularly brief

2) I missed my time off - It was 1.53.15

• SprintFinish wrote (see)

What's the point is starting a new thread for the 2013 event before most have finished and then filling it with race reports/experiences of the 2012 run?

Sorry to be so Bah humbug but could you not wait a couple of weeks 1st and close the 2012 off properly?

Not even sure this thread should be in the events section as 90% of the posts aren't really about the event but cover training, other events or how my days been today...

OK that's off my chest I feel much betterimage

It's so diffcult for anyone looking for info on the run to trawl through the pages of basically wite noise to get anything useful.Newbies ask a question it seems to get lost and not answered... just my two pennyworth 

image  What's the point of coming onto a thread just to gripe about it?  Fair enough if you're a newbie that has had a question ignored because of all the 'white noise', but that's not the case with you.

There's been plenty of newbies - on this thread and the 2012 one - that have commented on how they've enjoyed reading the race reports and asked about the procedure for entering themselves next year - and have been answered.  There's also been others saying how the 2012 thread was a very useful source of information to them.  Regulars have always tried to answer any questions posed if we've known the answers, even if the question was asked a couple of pages earlier and is also covered in the magazine.

Sorry if you don't like the more informal format - as far as I'm aware anyone is free to start up threads that may be considered more 'on-task'.

Go for it image

• White noise rules imageimageimageimage

I think we are the bestest forumites on RW. How many other threads plan almost a year in advance? image

• Blimey - its taken me ages to catch up on both threads since I got home earlier.....loved all the race reports, chuffed to bits for everyone with some fantastic pb's and its great to read so many can't wait to join in again next year!!

I did note, however, a lot of talk about p****es (in code for mr sj) / arses / toilet habits.......hhmmm and then there is the post from SprintFinish..... I'll say no more! image

Will attempt my race report as soon as I can. 

• Excellent race report, Tiny Runner.  Huge congrats to you, Stey Lancs, Dawn, Sticky and MTViking.

Glad to hear you're on the mend CC2.

• Mandie R wrote (see)

I did note, however, a lot of talk about p****es (in code for mr sj) / arses / toilet habits.......hhmmm and then there is the post from SprintFinish..... I'll say no more! image

Brown noise?

• Yukk, RLTW image

There's also a bad case of verbal diarrhoea, (no names no pack drill - what does that actually mean?)
    Pnemonic to help with the spelling of diarrhoea - done in a real rush, hurry - or else accident!

So, we can be educational on this thread too. And it is a post about runs, before anyone says it's off topic.

• Saffy Sweety Pea wrote (see)
    Brilliant, Tiny Runner image

I found the trick with the bland Newcastle Uni porridge was to add a portion of jam to it !

Ahhh if only I'd have thought of that! I tried to wash the taste away with coffee but that was even worse than the porridge image.  Luckily their tea and toast was just right image

• Hi everyone, great to see u all over the weekend and well done to u all, some fantastic times!

Noticed a post before moaning????

Sorry but if u dont like it u dont have to join in. Go somewhere else!!!